So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

What is track 26 - The Visitors-Bye-End Titles (The Special Edition) on the Deluxe Edition then? Confused.

That would correspond the RESOLUTION AND END TITLES, on the OST, if that's any help.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

CE3K deserves the same treatment Jaws, Jaws 2, and 1941 got, wouldn't you say?

I certainly would say!

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Would CEO3K fit on a single disc?

The short answer is "no".

I once saw a 2-disc boot, but I have no idea what was on it. What amazed me the most, is that JW actually signed it!

If one wishes to include THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT, THE PILLOW, INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP, and THEME FROM CE3K (at the very least) it would need to be spread over two discs.

The complete score, IE, ignoring alternates and just selecting one version of each cue, is under 80 minutes so would fit on one disc.

You need two discs if you want to include all the alternates recorded, the source music, the disco theme, the LP program, etc etc

Can some one tell me if FALSE ALARM used on the expanded cd is a different take? It appears to be slightly different in the film. Or is it mixed differently because the choir sounds more prominent in the film. 

I always enjoyed the OST album even though its truncated; it is so well paced. From the full score perspective, it isn't complete at all but to me it stands as a concept album more like a classical album than a score album. When the new expansion comes out -I would love to hear it remastered and using the original master tapes as a reconstruct. I know I will not be disappointed.

I am pretty sure that all of Bouzereau's expansions - 1996 ET, 1998 CE3K, 2000 Jaws, and 2002 ET - use incorrect takes at times.  He doesn't have the attention to detail that Matessino or Neil Bulk do; I am really thankful they take the time to compare every take and make sure to present all the same takes and intercuts as chosen for the film.

4 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Did he use incorrect takes on the 2008 Indiana Jones set?

Well Map and To Pankot Palace from TOD are both alternates, does that count? No idea if that was intentional.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well Map and To Pankot Palace from TOD are both alternates, does that count? No idea if that was intentional.

I don't think they did very thorough research on the cues as they obviously included what are most likely original versions of the pieces VS the final film versions that are either rewritten alternate takes or with inserts and/or sweeteners in most cases. And yes we don't know if this was intentional or just a bit sloppy work.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

To me these are pure alternates as they differ significantly from their film versions. Unless the film versions were combinations of revised sections.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I don't think they did very thorough research on the cues as they obviously included what are most likely original versions of the pieces VS the final film versions with alternate takes or with inserts and/or sweeteners in most cases. And yes we don't know if this was intentional or just a bit sloppy work.

I wont say this was sloppy work since the project was rushed and Bouzerau had to fight to keep as much as new music (from what I remember reading on this forum)

Williams wrote quite a few revisions, alternates, sweeteners and inserts for TOD. And the 2008 box didn't include any of them, just the original orchestral cues it seems, often missing overlays like the dance orchestra for The Night Club Brawl or the added choir and percussion for To Pankot Palace.

6 hours ago, azahid said:

Can some one tell me if FALSE ALARM used on the expanded cd is a different take? It appears to be slightly different in the film. Or is it mixed differently because the choir sounds more prominent in the film. 

azahid, the short answer is, "no...I think".

The long answer is complex.

First of all, one has to remember that, for over 20 years, the only way that one could hear FALSE ALARM, was surrounded by dialogue, and sound effects. Coupled with that, the film (multi-channel) mix of a score will sound different to a CD (two-channel) mix of that same score. Musical elements are sometimes emphasised, or, indeed, de-emphasised, according to the needs of the film, and the personal preferences of the composer/producer/engineer, etc.

I have just listened to FA, and I can tell you that, after living with both film and score for nigh-on 40 years, and having watched it in a variety if ways (cinema/TV/videotape/DVD/Blu) and in a variety of sound formats, ranging from mono, to DTS Master Audio 5.1, I can honestly say that it sounds the same, and it feels the same. 

I know that this may not be the definitive answer, but it is a deeply personal one. It's an answer which is born out of love and respect for both film, and score. I hope that this helps.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

azahid, the short answer is, "no...I think".

The long answer is complex.

First of all, one has to remember that, for over 20 years, the only way that one could hear FALSE ALARM, was surrounded by dialogue, and sound effects. Coupled with that, the film (multi-channel) mix of a score will sound different to a CD (two-channel) mix of that same score. Musical elements are sometimes emphasised, or, indeed, de-emphasised, according to the needs of the film, and the personal preferences of the composer/producer/engineer, etc.

I have just listened to FA, and I can tell you that, after living with both film and score for nigh-on 40 years, and having watched it in a variety if ways (cinema/TV/videotape/DVD/Blu) and in a variety of sound formats, ranging from mono, to DTS Master Audio 5.1, I can honestly say that it sounds the same, and it feels the same. 

I know that this may not be a definitive answer, but it is a deeply personal one. I hope that this helps.

Thanks Richard.It could very much be the same cue albeit mixed differently for the film. If you recall Exsultate Justi on EMPIRE OF THE SUN  also had a different mix in the film whereas the album version sounded different along with the small edit made in the middle (I was very pleased to get the film version with LLL release) 

1 hour ago, FrankV said:

La-La Land posted this on the FSM message board:

Please, always link to the source when you post news like this. 

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=121154&forumID=1&archive=0

So how do people expect MM has sequenced the album? Complete chronological score (theatrical version) on disc 1, OST assembly + alternates + Special Edition cues on disc 2 (same as 1941)?

I can't wait to hear another 70's Williams score remastered with modern technology. Hopefully someone gets a chance to chat with Matessino about the release.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So how do people expect MM has sequenced the album? Complete chronological score (theatrical version) on disc 1, OST assembly + alternates + Special Edition cues on disc 2 (same as 1941)?

That seems logical.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I can't wait to hear another 70's Williams score remastered with modern technology.

I'll be happy if it sounds as good as the 98 Arista.

Finally.  Well as they say  "Keep watching the skies"  

Now for the arduous part of waiting.....

We should get more bits of info from LLL and MM in coming weeks! 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We know it's coming. Isn't that enough for now?

We have been aware that they were coming since many years!