• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TownerFan

"The Rise and Fall of Star Wars" (former Lucasfilm historian J.W. Rinzler's blog)

85 posts in this topic

J.W. Rinzler, former Lucasfilm historian/archivist from 2001 to 2015 (and author of the beautiful original trilogy "Making Of" coffee-table books) has started a series of blog entries on his own website called "The Rise and Fall of Star Wars". It's gonna be a chronicle of his years at LFL and it promises to be filled with interesting stories. He's gonna publish stories three times a week. As he says in the first post, "This blog is about my time at Lucasfilm, from October 1, 2001, to December 31, 2015. As such, though I’ll try to be objective, my observations are no doubt my subjective views of these years, not any clinical “truth.”

Looks like he has a lot to tell. Check it out.

http://www.jwrinzler.com/blog

"and Fall"?  I take it he won't be glowing about the Disney era.

Will likes this

Cool!

Sweet! Really hope he'll be able to sneak in a little something about what happened with Lucas and Disney, although I'm guessing a lot is covered by NDAs. 

From what I can tell of his recent tweets and such, he's decidedly on Team Lucas, not Team Disney, and, yeah, Disco Stu, calling it the "fall" of Star Wars is an even bigger statement in that direction, seemingly. 

If you remember, he co-wrote a TFA making-of book, but its release was delayed and then cancelled. 

---------------

Oooooh man, after reading that first post, I'm hooked. These posts can't come quickly enough. 

5 hours ago, Will said:

If you remember, he co-wrote a TFA making-of book, but its release was delayed and then cancelled. 

Got something to hide, Disney??

Will likes this

There was a lot of early behind-the-scenes drama, but I don't see why Lucasfilm couldn't have just edited that out and released the book. Very strange! Too bad; I really wanted to read it. 

The BTS drama is their history, they should step up and own it. Sweeping it under the rug just looks bad.

Will likes this

Good so far. I don't like what Disney has done with Star Wars.

Guy's done a service with his Making of books, amongst other things, but this reeks of petty whining. I'd be curious to see if any actually interesting BTS stuff comes out (though I tend to think that TFA book was scrapped because of spoilers), but otherwise I couldn't care less about "The Fall of Star Wars." That's just some melodramatic asshattery which I can't help but find pretty obnoxious. 

Holko likes this

2 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Good so far. I don't like what Disney has done with Star Wars.

Disney has saved Star Wars as far as I'm concerned. It was dead! 100% dead!

Holko, mstrox, RPurton and 1 other like this

Yes, I realize you all worship Disney Star Wars and I'm going against the status quo. We've established this time and time again.

4 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Guy's done a service with his Making of books, amongst other things, but this reeks of petty whining. I'd be curious to see if any actually interesting BTS stuff comes out (though I tend to think that TFA book was scrapped because of spoilers),

If it was the case, wouldn't they have simply pushed back the release date after the film's release?

Will, RPurton and Bilbo Skywalker like this

8 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

The release the bloody novelisation at about the same time as the movie too.

Yeah, ebook comes out day and date with the print edition following a few weeks later.

it was definitely scrapped because of BTS friction. It'll be awhile before we learn the extent of it but TFA, Josh Trank, Rogue One, and now Han Solo have had a tonne of crap, with changes late in the game in both film released.

I would hate to see what would happen if one of these films under performed.

If listened to Rinzler speak a few times and I don't think he'll be any more biased in this than you'd expect.

He gets asked questions about his time at Lucasfilm constantly so this is a good idea to put the record straight from his point of view

Will likes this

But will he have the time to say everything that needs to be said before The Mouse shuts him and him and his blog down?

Will likes this

Nothing can protect you from The Mouse! It controls the banks, the telecommunications, the police, the government! It is everywhere! There's no escaping from it!

RPurton likes this

The only reason he is talking because he is one of them, spouting lies and hatred only to mask his true allegiance!

Or maybe the book was cancelled because Disney refocused their business model towards younger audience? They certainly did that with the fiction novels. I doesn't have to be as dramatic. Maybe they're just not that interested in projects like this anymore.

Either way, I'm interested in what he has to say. His making of books were excellent. In fact they are the best books of this sort out there.

Karol

Will likes this

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

The only reason he is talking because he is one of them, spouting lies and hatred only to mask his true allegiance!

It's a psywar!

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I doesn't have to be as dramatic.

... said the guy working for The Mouse.

15 hours ago, Will said:

From what I can tell of his recent tweets and such, he's decidedly on Team Lucas, not Team Disney, and, yeah, Disco Stu, calling it the "fall" of Star Wars is an even bigger statement in that direction, seemingly. 

Meh, that'd be disappointing then. I was hoping this would only be covering the Lucas years, and had assumed 'The Fall' referred to the prequel trilogy. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

had assumed 'The Fall' referred to the prequel trilogy. 

So did we all. So did we all...

49 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Or maybe the book was cancelled because Disney refocused their business model towards younger audience? They certainly did that with the fiction novels. I doesn't have to be as dramatic. Maybe they're just not that interested in projects like this anymore.

Either way, I'm interested in what he has to say. His making of books were excellent. In fact they are the best books of this sort out there.

Karol

They haven't changed their fiction model at all. They're still releasing adult novels. They're releasing more kids books than before but they're still publishing 5-6 adult novels every year. 

The still release non-Fiction books for films. The Art of Books for example.

A Making of RO was planned (even after TFA's cancellation) but because of the trouble there this has been changed to a photo book of the BTS process.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

People who worked at Lucasfilm and worked for Lucas tend to actually like the man having gotten to know him. 

Obviously the butt hurt fanboys on the interwebs know the real Lucas though 

Will likes this

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe Rinzler is another of Lucas' yes men. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

People who worked at Lucasfilm and worked for Lucas tend to actually like the man having gotten to know him. 

Liking the man is one thing. Liking his films is another!

DominicCobb likes this

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Liking the man is one thing. Liking his films is another!

I think you can admire his intentions even if you aren't satisfied with their execution I think. 

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Does that mean we should admire it?

Lucas put the Lu in Lucifer! 

Attack of the Clones invaded Polish cinemas, no? 

50 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

He made Attack of the Clones.

He didn't invade Poland. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Lucas put the Lu in Lucifer! 

We should have seen it. It was right there in front of us:

Y2ukmXZ.png

RPurton likes this

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Meh, that'd be disappointing then. I was hoping this would only be covering the Lucas years, and had assumed 'The Fall' referred to the prequel trilogy. 

If you consider his timeframe (2001-2015), the prequel trilogy is actually what he's calling "The Rise." So........ yeah.....

Will likes this

4 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Just because dumbasses exist doesn't invalidate the underlying viewpoint.  We all share views with a lot of really stupid people.  Also, why should I care if Lucas is a nice guy?  That has nothing to do with the quality of his work.  And yes, I can admire his ambition while thinking he made real shitty movies that I don't want to watch ever again.  Conversely, I can recognize that Episode VII lacked ambition but think that it more than made up for that in other aspects.

There's gray area!  There's nuance!  We don't have to be constrained by the "us vs. them" mentality of morons!

DominicCobb and Holko like this

1 hour ago, DominicCobb said:

If you consider his timeframe (2001-2015), the prequel trilogy is actually what he's calling "The Rise." So........ yeah.....

If you actually read his blog posts, it covers a period of time much broader than his personal association with LucasFilm. Post #2 for instance, is entirely about the 1970s. So........ yeah.....

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

If it was the case, wouldn't they have simply pushed back the release date after the film's release?

Maybe it contained spoilers for VIII and IX.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just because dumbasses exist doesn't invalidate the underlying viewpoint.  We all share views with a lot of really stupid people.  Also, why should I care if Lucas is a nice guy?  That has nothing to do with the quality of his work.  And yes, I can admire his ambition while thinking he made real shitty movies that I don't want to watch ever again.  Conversely, I can recognize that Episode VII lacked ambition but think that it more than made up for that in other aspects.

There's gray area!  There's nuance!  We don't have to be constrained by the "us vs. them" mentality of morons!

Even if you don't like his films surely you can admire ILM, Skywalker Sound, Digital cinema (even if you think he overdid the whole digital thing himself, Lucasfilm saw levels of innovation and ambition under Lucas that simply won't be seen again. To dismiss Rinzler's opinions on Disney just because of your own feelings on the prequels or calling him a "yes man" isn't very nuanced. 

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Even if you don't like his films surely you can admire ILM, Skywalker Sound, Digital cinema (even if you think he overdid the whole digital thing himself, Lucasfilm saw levels of innovation and ambition under Lucas that simply won't be seen again.

Yes, of course!  Lucas is a visionary in the truest sense.  He and James Cameron both actually push the medium forward.

To dismiss Rinzler's opinions on Disney just because of your own feelings on the prequels or calling him a "yes man" isn't very nuanced. 

I didn't do that....