• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TownerFan

"The Rise and Fall of Star Wars" (former Lucasfilm historian J.W. Rinzler's blog)

85 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, of course!  Lucas is a visionary in the truest sense.  He and James Cameron both actually push the medium forward.

I didn't do that....

Of course you didn't, and sorry, it looks like I made out that you did. It was more in reaction to what some others are saying. 

Good point re: James Cameron though. 

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will say that conversely, people who over-demonize Kathleen Kennedy are just as annoying.

I suspect that while Lucasfilm has a certain amount of independence, Disney shareholders still call the shots. Keeping them is the priority and Kennedy's hands are tied. She, unfairly, gets the flack because of the position she's in. 

JohnSolo and Will like this

You can believe the prequels are literally burning piles of shit, but the amount of artistry that created that burning pile of shit has to be commended. 

From the BTS featurettes and making of books, all throughout production on RotS, Lucas faced problems, test screenings left the execs and producers cold and distant, yet I would say after taking each film with the shit everyone was giving him, the last of the three prequels is an underappreciated success. It was darker, it was visually gorgeous and most importantly it managed to wrap everything up neatly.

Will, Pieter_Boelen and JohnSolo like this

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I suspect that while Lucasfilm has a certain amount of independence, Disney shareholders still call the shots. Keeping them is the priority and Kennedy's hands are tied. She, unfairly, gets the flack because of the position she's in. 

Agreed.  She has shown through her deeds and words that she is a producer who genuinely wants to help creative people do their best work.  But being both president of Lucasfilm and the primary producer of all the films is a crazy position to be in.  Answering to Disney and trying produce the best films possible.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

13 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Guy's done a service with his Making of books, amongst other things, but this reeks of petty whining. I'd be curious to see if any actually interesting BTS stuff comes out (though I tend to think that TFA book was scrapped because of spoilers), but otherwise I couldn't care less about "The Fall of Star Wars." That's just some melodramatic asshattery which I can't help but find pretty obnoxious. 

I don't think it would be that hard to edit out the spoilers. I know I'm not the only one who doubts that's the real reason. 

Although, to your second point, yeah, "The Fall of Star Wars" does sound overdramatic. :lol:

6 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

A Making of RO was planned (even after TFA's cancellation) but because of the trouble there this has been changed to a photo book of the BTS process.

Oh wow. I hadn't seen that change.  

-----------------------

As a side note: Rinzler said a couple interesting things in the comments of his first blog entry (not actually spoilers, just saving space):

Spoiler

REPL
YANCY EVANS
6/22/2017 01:02:07 PM

I've long suspected Lucas intended to finish the sequel trilogy himself (with other directors), and most of those plans were dependant on completion of the Grady Ranch project. Unfortunately, when Marin County blocked those plans it forced George's retirement a little early.

Grady Ranch would have afforded him the opportunity to supervise Star Wars from his own backyard, while allowing him to still spend time with his family... the best of both worlds.

Looking forward to your next entry J.W.

JWR
6/22/2017 01:10:59 PM

Agreed and will discuss Grady Ranch later--have to work up to it chronologically...

Spoiler
ROB MCFARLANE
6/23/2017 06:10:57 AM

I saw the original SW opening day at the Chinese Theater, and have been a huge fan ever since. I recently had a chance to tour the Ranch again after many years (having worked for ILM for a time in the 90's). Although the grounds of SR remains as beautiful as ever, I was somewhat saddened to find the formerly bustling buildings to be largely empty. Standing in the deserted yet still breathtaking library of the Main House, I couldn't help but wonder: Who is this for now? Who will use this? What will become of this place? Having read each of your books cover to cover I very much look forward to following your new blog.

JWR
6/23/2017 08:00:26 AM

Yep, the ranch is ghost town, except for Sky Sound. Blog will mention briefly, but later.

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

If you actually read his blog posts, it covers a period of time much broader than his personal association with LucasFilm. Post #2 for instance, is entirely about the 1970s. So........ yeah.....

All right, calm down. My skim of the posts told me that the stuff about Star Wars pre-him being there was mainly peripheral. So I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. But it did seem to me that he was lumping the prequels in with "the rise."

Maybe it contained spoilers for VIII and IX.

That was what I meant by spoilers, yes. The TFA making of was supposed to come out until a few months after TFA was released anyway.

26 minutes ago, Will said:

I don't think it would be that hard to edit out the spoilers. I know I'm not the only one who doubts that's the real reason. 

I only hope that they just wanted to put some distance between the production and the "tell all," as it were. Hard to believe the book ever would have spilled any dirt so soon after (haven't read the ROTS making of but I can't imagine it being nearly as open and honest as the OT ones, for instance). Hopefully we'll get a proper book of it someday down the line.

Although, to your second point, yeah, "The Fall of Star Wars" does sound overdramatic. :lol:

100%, when you realize that Star Wars is basically more popular now than it ever was before. Of course some will counter that that's because it sold out or whatever but I call bullshit. Star Wars has always been about making money, even when it was under Lucas. At least the movies are good again.

Will, JohnSolo and Holko like this

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Even if you don't like his films surely you can admire ILM, Skywalker Sound, Digital cinema (even if you think he overdid the whole digital thing himself, Lucasfilm saw levels of innovation and ambition under Lucas that simply won't be seen again. To dismiss Rinzler's opinions on Disney just because of your own feelings on the prequels or calling him a "yes man" isn't very nuanced. 

Although I wish Lucas was a better writer, I can't deny his storytelling / visual skills. Now if only his CGI lovefest had happened later as opposed to earlier. 

karelm likes this

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Although I wish Lucas was a better writing, I can't deny his storytelling / visual skills. Now if only his CGI lovefest had happened later as opposed to earlier. 

Modern CGI is probably as good as it is now because of the way he pushed it.  There were lots of advances made as a result of the PT. 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Modern CGI is probably as good as it is now because of the way he pushed it.  There were lots of advances made as a result of the PT. 

True, but a lot of the CGI in TPM & AOTC holds up very poorly regardless. He should have mixed it in with more practicals, as opposed to trying to push the medium to its limits at the time. 

Plus if Lucas hadn't started his obsession with CGI, we may have not had some of the absolutely more bad CGI in KOTCS (gopher & monkeys for example), and hate on that film all you want, but it would have been less distracting for me, since I actually think that film is alright otherwise, hot take, lol. 

JohnSolo likes this

tmp has a lot of practical effects. probably more than TFA.

You meant AOTC and ROTS, i suppose.

The gophers or monkeys are not really bad CGI... just odd scenes for an indy film. The gopher scenes are rather harmless anyway.

Will likes this

Today's Rinzler post about Skywalker Ranch is really fun. Some great anecdotes. 

Disney made sure to profit from Star Wars, they want to cater all ages. If I am not mistaken there is a Star War's program at Disneyland which children are fighting the Dark Side.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes!

Thank god we didn't have that kind of crap when Lucas was in charge...

Indeed.  Such a shame what's happened to a franchise previously so well known for its restraint when it comes to licensing and merchandise.

Holko and DarthDementous like this

Before Disney, only high-quality stuff made with great care was released, such as books, CDs, toys, pens, mugs, curtains, costumes, underwears, shoes, toasters, sheets, video games, cartoons, backpacks... But since Lucas sold the franchise to this crooked company, now we have stuff like books, CDs, toys, pens, mugs, curtains, costumes, underwears, shoes, toasters, sheets, video games, cartoons, backpacks... It all went to shit, really.

Holko, RPurton and Smeltington like this

The worst part about Disney is that they had the gall to actually hire Williams. Sad!

On 6/30/2017 at 6:48 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

tmp has a lot of practical effects. probably more than TFA.

You meant AOTC and ROTS, i suppose.

The gophers or monkeys are not really bad CGI... just odd scenes for an indy film. The gopher scenes are rather harmless anyway.

They were a bit distracting for me, I wish they were at least real anyway, since they were obviously CGI, but hey happens I suppose.

3 hours ago, RPurton said:

The worst part about Disney is that they had the gall to actually hire Williams. Sad!

Disney should have done the modern thing and hired a Zimmer clone to the music, instead of relying on Williams's "old school music". 

Since seeing it in a book as a little boy, I've imagined Skywalker Ranch to be a most magical place. There's even a lake called Lake Ewok. The library is like Titanic's grand staircase meets Last Crusade Venice library. Tik Tok from Return to Oz is there.

Skywalker-Ranch_04-78305807b845.jpg

Will likes this

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

There's even a lake called Lake Ewok.

It's just a regular lake, you know. A lot of water, and that's it.

Which means every time you take the boat out for a spin, you can be like, "I'm going out on Lake Ewok!"

18 hours ago, Diana0327 said:

Disney made sure to profit from Star Wars, they want to cater all ages. If I am not mistaken there is a Star War's program at Disneyland which children are fighting the Dark Side.

I did that when I was a kid like 10 years ago or more. It was fun

2 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I did that when I was a kid like 10 years ago or more. It was fun

Every kid loves to be a Jedi.:)

9 minutes ago, MikeH said:

oops!  Link is now a 404.  It's been a great read...wonder what happened? 

I hope its a technical issue and not that Disney have complained. 

Will likes this

Just saw this. Very worried. I was so looking forward to his TFA posts. :(

I'll hope it's just a temporary issue! 

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Farewell, JW Rinzler! You were the second best JW in the history of JWs.

What about the Jehovah's Witnesses? They always entertain me!

Fuck Disney!

Oh sorry, I mean, PRAISE DISNEY, OUR NEW OVERLORDS FOR VANQUISHING JW RINZLER, THAT MOST VILE HERETIC!