Sign in to follow this  
TownerFan

"The Rise and Fall of Star Wars" (former Lucasfilm historian J.W. Rinzler's blog)

Yeah, and it's not that if I were running Lucasfilm I wouldn't have told Rinzler to shut up too. 

It's just very frustrating. 

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The shareholders have every right to protect their investment!

They do. 

I'd have preferred Lucasfilm didn't end up in a situation where it was beholden to shareholders. Unfortunately that was never going to happen. 

I get people when they say TFA was a massive improvement over the prequels and I wouldn't argue with anyone over that. 

It's bland though. And outside of Daisy and JW's theme for Rey its largely forgettable. I enjoyed RO much more but that was hardly a masterpiece. New Star Wars used to be an event now it's one a year. Which is great but its more chewing gum than it ever was. It'll rehash the same ideas and concepts over and over. It won't use the MCU cookie cutter. It'll use its own. It'll get stale. 

I do think its ridiculous when a cooperation like Disney can stop someone like Rinzler from talking about their life's work even if they aren't happy with what he's saying. 

On 7/23/2017 at 5:39 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Disney bought Lucasfilm.

as a result we have sanitised focus grouped films that will not live long in anyone's consciousness. 

Star Wars was already a massive commercial machine, now it's nothing but a product that has to bow to wishes and fears of shareholders.

I hold out hope The Last Jedi will be significantly more interesting than TFA and R1.  We'll see.

6 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Revenge of the Sith is the best episode.

Yes!

4 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

AotC had the sexiest Padmé.

Yes! That scene by the fire was too hot, and then Hayden Christensen interrupted it!

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I hold out hope The Last Jedi will be significantly more interesting than TFA and R1.  We'll see.

I found TFA to be emotionally satisfying (after my first couple of viewings that is) but ultimately it has no reason to exist yet. I had a lot more fun with Rogue One than I did TFA. For me The Last Jedi was always going to be the make or break film of the Disney era. TFA provided a few new characters and a chance to have one last hurrah with Han Solo and the characters the world has adored for four decades now. However TFA offered absolutely nothing in of itself. The pressure is and always has been on this next film to warrant this new trilogy as well as this new era of Star Wars. I don't know if they can do it or not but here's hoping. 

8 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

For me The Last Jedi was always going to be the make or break film of the Disney era. TFA provided a few new characters and a chance to have one last hurrah with Han Solo and the characters the world has adored for four decades now. However TFA offered absolutely nothing in of itself. The pressure is and always has been on this next film to warrant this new trilogy as well as this new era of Star Wars. I don't know if they can do it or not but here's hoping. 

That's how I feel!

On 8/12/2017 at 10:17 AM, Hawmy said:

Especially the deleted scenes 

She seemed more like a real person with emotions in those scenes. They had to go. Women aren't like that.

4 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

She seemed more like a real person with emotions in those scenes. They had to go. Women aren't like that.

No one has emotions down under. You wouldn't understand

My guess is he had signed an NDA w/Lucasfilm, and the blog possibly put him in violation of that. Or at least from Lucasfilm's POV.

And even if Lucasfilm has no real right to ask to him take the blog down, just the threat to an individual from an organisation w/Lucasfilm's unlimited legal resources is often enough to get someone to comply.