Williams and SW "Legitimacy"

Tom

Does Williams' involvment in new SW episodes make them more legit?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does Williams' invovlement make the new SW episodes legit?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care, and why would any sane person think about such things.

I realize this is borderline stupid, but with the thread in general discussion about Rinzler and his clear dismissal of Disney SW, I thought this might make a good discussion. Does Williams' involvement in the new SW episodes make them more legit or not (whatever this means to you)?

A good test case would be, do the "anthology" episodes have the same SW artistic legitimacy as the episodes? If so, then Williams' involvement makes no difference on this score (okay, pun intended).  If not, then maybe Williams' role is important. 

Well, it is a clear "yes" for me.  I was wondering if I was in the minority (with respect to Jwfaners).  Perhaps not. 

I do wonder if I judge (and even experience) RO more harshly because of this.  The movie seems so uninspired and derivative to me. almost like a transformers movie.  However, I know that is a common objection to TFA, which I do think has many derivative elements, but I still experience it as something more. 

Yes, Star Wars without John Williams is just not the same. We've heard it in cartoons, video games, amusement park attractions, and even 1 big budget film with a very competent composer who himself idolizes JW. But none of those versions of Star Wars music are as good as JW's. 

Yes, Williams was one of the big players brought on for TFA affectionately called (along with Kasdan, Kennedy, Lucas) the 'Star Wars Brain Trust'. 

6 hours ago, king mark said:

it 'll be like the Bond film after John Barry stopped scoring them .They don't feel as real James Bond movies

Barry didn't score three of the Moore films. Does that make them less valid to you?

I disagree. Williams' "sound" is unquestionably an important part of these films and even franchise as a whole, but it's only one out of many important ingredients. It can feel perfectly legitimate without him. I'd even be pro a completely different musical approach at some point.

Thor's right. If, and when,  X, XI, and XII, are made, JW will either be retired, or...

It would be nice to keep "core musical themes", but, since most of the characters from I - IX, will be deceased, there will be nothing to stop the makers of these films using new musical expressions, for the SW universe.

Star Wars is not Luke's Theme, nor The Imperial March, nor (please, no!!!) Jedi Rocks. It's much, much more than that. That fans of the films treat the scores as an integral, and very welcome part of the whole story, is a testament to both the enduring power of the music, and JW.

Disney knew what it was buying. For $4 billion, it got a bargain, and it intends to mine its property for all it's worth.

If any more films are made (and I mean proper SW films, not these scrappy pieces of shoe-leather), then I, for one, probably, won't be here...but other people will.

As long as the SW universe is represented musically, with excitement, honesty, and care, then I'll be somewhere... laughing.

Are Harry Potter 4-8 not legitimate Harry Potter films?

This is such a stupid topic.

Love the Jerry Goldsmith scoring JJ's Trek considering he didn't even score all of the previous 10 Trek films.

Dumb topic is dumb.

Summer must be pretty boring for some of you.

37 minutes ago, FC4L said:

This is such a stupid topic.

Love the Jerry Goldsmith scoring JJ's Trek considering he didn't even score all of the previous 10 Trek films.

Dumb topic is dumb.

Summer must be pretty boring for some of you.

*shrugs*

I dunno, I think this post needed John Williams to really work. 

...It's a scene that occurs in a french cozy cabaret on the moon of Jedha... Involving several plastic puppets of course.

2 hours ago, FC4L said:

Bad example.  Only one or two of the films come close to being as good as the books.  I actively try to forget most of those movies.

But yeah, that's not because of a lack of Williams.

I don't think the Star Wars films without Williams will be less legitimate.  Possibly less good.

16 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Says the guy who has nothing better to do than post in a thread to say how dumb it is!

On 6/29/2017 at 7:18 PM, Tom said:

I realize this is borderline stupid, but with the thread in general discussion about Rinzler and his clear dismissal of Disney SW, I thought this might make a good discussion. Does Williams' involvement in the new SW episodes make them more legit or not (whatever this means to you)?

A good test case would be, do the "anthology" episodes have the same SW artistic legitimacy as the episodes? If so, then Williams' involvement makes no difference on this score (okay, pun intended).  If not, then maybe Williams' role is important. 

When the OP starts a stupid thread claiming it is to be a stupid thread you don't have a leg to stand on calling out a poster who reinforces the very first sentence posted in the thread.

The defences that come out trying to support the stupidity of the thread just make it even more hilarious. Most Harry Potter films aren't legit because they don't live up to the books? What the fuck does that even mean? They lived up to the book's author's approval. I guess the 6 or 7 Harry Potter films that aren't really Harry Potter films (not because Williams didn't score them but because.... reasons) are not legit but the 3 Star Wars films, scored by Williams, that the internet has nothing better to do over a decade later but continue to shit on the creator's vision are? 

As stated by the OP, dumb thread is dumb. It's not even borderline.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:37 PM, FC4L said:

dumb thread is dumb

Meme-speak isn't necessarily the path to having one's opinion be taken seriously.

That said, I kind of agree: it's a dumb topic.  The new Star Wars films ARE legitimate.  There is no debate to be had on that topic, any more than there is on the subject of whether the Earth revolves around the sun (it does).  One can debate their merits endlessly, but there is no debate as regards the legitimacy: these are films made by the company that is legally allowed to make them, and that is the end of that. 

The question is: does Williams' presence make the films more palatable to the sort of people who argue over this sort of thing?  For now, that's a demonstrable "yes."