Williams' Violin Concerto from the Hollywood Bowl to be broadcast

Miguel Andrade

@Miguel Andrade, are you sure it will be broadcast?

The Singin' in the Rain LTP concert is on the list too, and I sure doubt they're broadcasting that!

It sounds to me like perhaps just a general list of upcoming concerts that KUSC will preview each week, but not necessarily broadcast. 

Boston Symphony's performance of West Side Story live to projection, was broadcast, both when it was done at Symphony Hall, and later at Tanglewood. There was a Boston Pops  live to projection that was broadcast, not sure which film was anymore (I want to say Wizard of Oz, but I'm not really sure).

But indeed you might be right, now that I read the text on that page again... that's what one gets for spending sleepless nights recording concerts from the other side of the Atlantic.

It would surprise me. There's absolutely no entertainment value in the violin concerto. People will commit suicide.

33 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Boston Symphony's performance of West Side Story live to projection, was broadcast, both when it was done at Symphony Hall, and later at Tanglewood. There was a Boston Pops  live to projection that was broadcast, not sure which film was anymore (I want to say Wizard of Oz, but I'm not really sure).

But indeed you might be right, now that I read the text on that page again... that's what one gets for spending sleepless nights recording concerts from the other side of the Atlantic.

Of course, it very well might be broadcast! I just wasn't completely sure if that page proved it. 

• 4 weeks later...

The concert will be broadcast, not live, but as part of the SoCal Sunday Night broadcast from KUSC, next Sunday, August 6, at 7 PM PST.

Usually, KUSC keeps the concert available on-demand for the following week.

Thanks Miguel.  Sounds great!  Such a gorgeous work.  Some of his anglophile roots come through clearly in this performance by way of Bax, Elgar, Walton, Vaughan Williams, but also the Russians with Prokofiev.  Britten (Violin Concerto) was strongly influenced by the Russians so is a good representation of the same quasi English/Russian influences.  I find this work deeply moving, personal, and gorgeous.