Jaws vs. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Josh500

Jaws vs. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws
    • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

Battle of the Giants. These are timeless classics, my childhood, the best of the best cinema and music have to offer....

So which score and movie do you personally PREFER? And why?

Go! :)

Jaws is a great score throughout. ET has a very dull first half, but from Halloween to the end, it's good. 

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time. ET is just another kid's movie from the 80s.

It's tough, but I think I'll pick E.T. for score, Jaws for movie. "Adventure on Earth" alone is better than anything in Jaws (although close).

For me, Jaws is a slightly more fun, involving, and entertaining movie.

_____

Sorry moderators, can you guys move this thread to JW? Thanks!

Well, Jaws is probably my all-time favorite movie, so it will win the movie polls every go.  As far as the score, as genius and effective a score Jaws is in the movie, and even still as a listening experience, E.T. has a brilliance and beauty that is almost impossible for me to describe.

1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

Well, Jaws is probably my all-time favorite movie, so it will win the movie polls every go.  

The question, though, is what makes Jaws your all-time favourite, and not, say, E.T. or Raiders? 

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The question, though, is what makes Jaws your all-time favourite, and not, say, E.T. or Raiders? 

It's grabbed hold of my imagination since I was a kid.  There was a period of time when I was in middle school when I legitimately thought about becoming a marine biologist on the strength of my love for Jaws.  It's hard to retrofit a reason for it being my favorite since I grew up on it and it wasn't a calculated decision, but I'm sure it's a combination of the subject matter, the well-developed and unique characters, the  way their actors portray them, the way the dialogue is written, how the three acts are built and flow into each other forming a cohesive whole, the way it was shot, and of course the music.

E.T. for both. Granted, the score for Jaws is one of Wiliams' most iconic and instantly-recognizable soundtracks, but I didn't find it nearly as entertaining or emotional as E.T.

I have never seen Jaws. I suppose one of these days I will, but I've never really felt the urge to watch it. On the other hand, I've watched E.T. countless times as a child, and it remains one of my favorite films to this day. It never gets old to me. Nostalgia for the win.

Besides, you can't top this scene. Still, one of the most magical moments in cinema history:

moon.jpg

E.T. and Jaws are probably on the same level, both the music and the films. But it is incredibly difficult to compare two films and scores that are so different, concerning the genre and the audience it is directed at. The only similarities are Williams, Spielberg and a strange creature.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

It's grabbed hold of my imagination since I was a kid.  There was a period of time when I was in middle school when I legitimately thought about becoming a marine biologist on the strength of my love for Jaws.  It's hard to retrofit a reason for it being my favorite since I grew up on it and it wasn't a calculated decision, but I'm sure it's a combination of the subject matter, the well-developed and unique characters, the  way their actors portray them, the way the dialogue is written, how the three acts are built and flow into each other forming a cohesive whole, the way it was shot, and of course the music.

Well said!

And glad you mentioned the music at the end! :D:thumbup:

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

I have never seen Jaws.

Wait what? :eh:

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The only similarities are Williams, Spielberg and a strange creature.

Good one! :lol:

Yeah, that's true.

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

Is it true that all, or at least some, of Spielberg's films exist in the same universe?

Except the 4 Indy movies and the JP movies, no. Who told you that?

38 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wait what? :eh:

Except the 4 Indy movies and the JP movies, no. Who told you that?

Alas, no. I've heard good things about the film, I've just never gotten around to watching it.

I've seen several theories on how all, or some, of Spielberg's movies exist in the same cinematic universe. I dunno, just some stuff I saw online once.

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There's no comparison.

I don't think it's what you mean, but this is very true.

It's a fucking stupid poll and I'm tired of these goddamn polls.  At first I was all "live and let live" but enough is enough.  They need to stop.  There's never any interesting discussion because it's a stupid way to start a conversation in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a fucking stupid poll and I'm tired of these goddamn polls.  At first I was all "live and let live" but enough is enough.  They need to stop.  There's never any interesting discussion because it's a stupid way to start a conversation in the first place.

We should start a poll about that in order to start an interesting discussion.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You sound stupid. :D No need to cuss. If you don't like the polls, then don't participate!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think it's what you mean, but this is very true.

You're just turning against him because it's been revealed he's a Trumpster!  But there are many other reasons to not be a Josh500 fan - see the smug tone in the above post.

50 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You're just turning against him because it's been revealed he's a Trumpster!  But there are many other reasons to not be a Josh500 fan - see the smug tone in the above post.

Now don't be obnoxious. This is a politics free zone! 

4 hours ago, Diana0327 said:

E.T. and Jaws are the epic movies ever. Speilberg did a great job in making E.T

I'd say these two are, arguably, Spielberg's two best movies.

Not even Schindler's List or Raiders (as good as they are) can't compete with E.T. and Jaws. 

5 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Jaws is a great film. So is E.T.

Jaws is a great score. So is E.T.

Rather than choose one or the other, I'll just go with Titanic.

Titanic is a different beast altogether.

But I can understand people saying Titanic is the best movie of all time. It is also a masterpiece. 

48 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

But I can understand people saying Titanic is the best movie of all time. It is also a masterpiece. 

But apparently those people think the same about Always.  

Does that really matter? What makes a "great" film, anyway?

I like ALWAYS, and I also like TITANIC, but my emotional connection to ALWAYS will always (no pun intended!) be stronger than it is to TITANIC.

I believe that what a film means to an individual viewer is far more important than top-ten lists. Some of my favourite films are considered dogs, by critical standards. Frankly, I don't give a damn. 

JAWS is a good film. E.T. is also a good film. Maybe we should be celebrating what these films have in common, rathing than setting them up against each other.

Only at JWFan!

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

my emotional connection to ALWAYS will always (no pun intended!) be stronger than it is to TITANIC.

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe we should be celebrating what these films have in common, rathing than setting them up against each other.

Celebrating these movies, reminiscing about them, discussing them, thinking about their merits and downsides... that's exactly what we're doing, in case you didn't notice!

The question is which do you like BETTER, and not which do you HATE more! ;)

44 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But apparently those people think the same about Always.  

So?

19 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Is it true that all, or at least some, of Spielberg's films exist in the same universe?

I just call it the Milky Way.