Dumb question, but...

curlytoot

When you get a new album (either via download or in physical CD), if the track titles on the cover are listed in all caps, do you:

Write Track Titles This Way, With All Of The Words Capitalized

or do you...

Write Track Titles This Way, With Some of the Words Capitalized

?

Lately I've been totally revamping how I organize my music: I used to just buy everything from iTunes, and even anything not bought from there, I would alter the artist/album/track info to virtually match the iTunes Store entry for that album, 100%.

Now, though, I get my albums in FLAC wherever possible online, and either convert them/import CDs as ALAC. I no longer do my album titles as "Movie Title (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)"; I merely write the title of the movie, and only employ parentheses when it is a special edition/to differentiate between versions. I now also strive to label my tracks as accurately to the album cover as possible. Just trying to simplify things a bit and make my library more coherent.

Some albums have their track titles on the back written using both upper and lowercased words, so you can accurately enter them into iTunes or your media player of choice. These albums either list every word capitalized at the start, or have only some words capitalized at the start. However, far too many albums employ TRACK TITLES THAT HAVE ALL CAPS, in which case it is impossible to figure out which words actually should/shouldn't be capitalized at the start. Assuming maybe there's at least someone out there as OCD as myself on this, what do you do? Do you just capitalize the start of each word, for albums that do that? Or do you adopt a "common sense" capitalization method, in which words like "of", "and", "for", "from", "the" etc. are left lowercased? Either option is technically viable I suppose, as either is used by album covers. 

I realize this is kind of a dumb, picky question, but I am just wondering if anyone else strives to have any sort of consistency in how they write out track titles, or if anyone has any suggestions for more effectively streamlining the process. At first, upon finding an album cover that had titles in all-caps, I would search and compare track listings between iTunes, Amazon, Filmtracks, Movie Music UK, AllMusic, etc., in the hopes of finding some commonality between them. But that's often not the case.

Sooo. Any thoughts?

A few weeks ago, I decided to only capitalise nouns, so no capitals in 'of, the' etc. Ten minutes after that, I realised how much music I had and quickly renamed the few tracks I had tackled to what they were originally called. From that moment on, I swore never to change any cue name anymore.

There are rules for capitalization in english. The articles should not be capitalized, by example.

This is a very american thing,  in french we don't do that.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

A few weeks ago, I decided to only capitalise nouns, so no capitals in 'of, the' etc. Ten minutes after that, I realised how much music I had and quickly renamed the few tracks I had tackled to what they were originally called. From that moment on, I swore never to change any cue name anymore.

Aren't you blind? What difference does capitalization make? 

I capitalize the first and last word of every title, no exceptions. I don't capitalize articles and short prepositions like of and to, but longer ones like from and between vex me. 

I am getting tired of track titles and albums that begin with punctuation, like periods and parentheses. I have not adopted a unified strategy to deal with these. 

I typically change artist and album names from The Beatles and The Mask to Beatles, The, and Mask, The. I know my iPod will know what's up, but Windows and mp3tag do not. 

I typically identify the label at the end of my soundtrack titles, especially if I may have multiple versions in my library. I typically put the year at the end of every album name, though I'm getting bored trying to stay consistent. It does help distinguish between albums and rock albums of the same name; John Barry and Iron Maiden have one such same name album. 

I'm not an expert of it, like I wrote previously we never do that in french. If I talk about the french language it's in lower case, if I talk about a French (from France, now the first letter must be in upper case, like all the proper nouns.

I think capitalization comes from newspaper, for the titles and headerlines, to make them more punchy and easy to read. Unfortunately it has spread everywhere now, I even use it on my english websites.

I capitalize the first letter of every word. I know it's not correct but my OCD dictates it.

Album titles are just the film's title, unless I need to differentiate between an OST and an expanded release, in which case I opt to add "(Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)" or whichever phrasing that particular CD used, to the end of the OST title.

I've been a long time lurker here, but I just had to make an account to share the resource I use to manage my digital library.

https://capitalizemytitle.com/

I mainly just hate when titles capitalize 'the' or 'or' in the middle of a track name. Drivers me bonkers.

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I capitalize the first letter of every word.

This

32 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I capitalize the first letter of every word. I know it's not correct but my OCD dictates it.

My OCD absolutely abhors yours.

My system has a lot of exceptions for every rule.  Like I generally always lowercase prepositions... unless it looks weird.  I capitalize 'About' or 'Under' in titles and lowercase 'to' and 'of' for example.  I have a system and it works for me.

I know that I look dumb here most of the time, because my English is very bad... but I'm very good in french, it's very important for me, actually languages interest me a lot.. I'm not good using them (that's life, maybe I love french so much that I don't allow any other language to take too much space in my head... who knows...), but differences between languages (english, french, german, spanish, italian even russian), translation in general, cultural references in languages, differences in cultural references also, it interest me a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Ways Of The Force looks weird. I don't capitalise words like of, is, to, and, the, etc.

"Is" is a verb and should always be capitalized. Even though it's a very short word. 

Feel free to insert an obligatory Bill Clinton joke about "is." Or a joke about Bill Clinton inserting. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

French titles are lower case after the first word aren't they?  Did I make that up?

Yes, take by example songs by Charles Aznavour, or even album titles, all the words are in lower case, except the proper nouns, of course.

Charles Aznavour - Je n'ai pas vu le temps passer

Charles Aznavour - La bohème

Charles Aznavour - J'ai vu Paris

In our newspapers headlines and on the news website too, we never capitalize words.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I just accept whatever iTunes names the tracks when I import them. 

I don't use iTunes, but I did buy a live Queen album from Amazon downloads that was fucked up in its tagging. Before I fixed it, disc 2 had a default album title that placed it before disc 1 in the playlist. 

Not that I use disc logic in my mp3 tagging anyways. I renumbered it as one 20-track album instead of two different 10 track albums, or to use the disc number tag. I found a way that defeated it and made 1 1 2 2...which is dumb. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I prefer Jacques Brel personally.

Ok, ok...

Jacques Brel - Ne me quittes pas

Jacques Brel - Quand on n'a que l'amour

;)

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm not an expert of it, like I wrote previously we never do that in french. If I talk about the french language it's in lower case, if I talk about a French (from France, now the first letter must be in upper case, like all the proper nouns.

What I don't get about French is all that masculine and feminine stuff: le chien, la chat, le monde, etc.

It's just weird.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes, take by example songs by Charles Aznavour, or even album titles, all the words are in lower case, except the proper nouns, of course.

Charles Aznavour - Je n'ai pas vu le temps passer

Charles Aznavour - La bohème

Charles Aznavour - J'ai vu Paris

You just can't resist it, can you? :lol:

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

What I don't get about French is all that masculine and feminine stuff: le chien, la chat, le monde, etc.

It's just weird.

Le chien, right

But, it is Le chat too :-)

I admit, it has no sense... it's like that. And sometimes several people that are even french born, do mistakes, using the wrong genre.  Many people will say "une avion" instead of "un avion", or "une autobus" instead of "un autobus".  There's no real logic, and this is why I guess French is so hard to learn!

But English is for me hard to learn too, I will never really get the English syntax for example... for me sometimes it doesn't make any sense. So I usually write in English, but respecting the french syntax.. and I know it makes me very hard to read. Sometimes I use reverso to get the right tense for a verb... but not always ;-)

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

For some reason in French, the word vagina is masculine....

A fan!

I'm a fan of pretty much all the québécois and french singer.. did I say I love my mother language?

You are right, it's "un" vagin, but we say also "une vulve" :-)

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

It's biblical. The first vagina on record came from a man and was made for a man to enjoy. 

Mais oui!

Pardon-ez-moi "la chat" (I think)

Honestly, the only French sentences I know are "qu'est ce c'est ou et le bar"(THE FINAL CUT) and " plus c'est chance, plus c'est me meme chose"(HEMISPHERES). Geez, the Brits are ignorant, aren't we?

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That makes sense; le cunt.

17 minutes ago, Woj said:

I don't use iTunes, but I did buy a live Queen album from Amazon downloads that was fucked up in its tagging. Before I fixed it, disc 2 had a default album title that placed it before disc 1 in the playlist. 

Not that I use disc logic in my mp3 tagging anyways. I renumbered it as one 20-track album instead of two different 10 track albums, or to use the disc number tag. I found a way that defeated it and made 1 1 2 2...which is dumb. 

I may have to do some futzing around with the tagging to make multi-disc sets (or single albums with multiple artists) play correctly in order, but I'm not anal enough to alter the capitalization.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Mais oui!

Pardon-ez-moi "la chat" (I think)

Honestly, the only French sentences I know are "qu'est ce c'est ou et le bar"(THE FINAL CUT) and " plus c'est chance, plus c'est me meme chose"(HEMISPHERES). Geez, the Brits are ignorant, aren't we?

None of your sentence is right unfortunately!

Pardonnez-moi, c'est LE chat :-)

You mean... S'il vous plaît où est le bar?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Did you know that a few words in french are masculine in their singular form, but can be feminine in the plural?

By example, amour (love) and organ (the music instrument). We can say and write "un amour mort"  (masculine) and "des amours mortes" (Feminine). Also "un grand orgue" and "de grandes orgues".