Close Encounters of the Third Kind Theatrical Re-release trailer

crumbs

I don't think it's a remake, and I certainly don't think they'd make a high quality trailer for a soundtrack release.

I think it has to be a new 40th anniversary bluray.

Interesting article from 5 years ago:

https://geektyrant.com/news/2012/3/11/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-blu-ray-3d-trailer.html

Have they sat on a 3D conversion for 5 years waiting for the 40th Anniversary? Surely there's not much else they could package in a new Bluray release to convince people to buy the film again, other than a 4K version? Which seems to have already been announced for release in September:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286872

Thought the existing Bluray was recent -- it's ten years old! That version used a 2006 2K IP scan, so not the original camera negatives.

Excitingly, they appear to have remastered the original camera negatives in 4K for the 40th Anniversary UHD Bluray release:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B072NCTDNM?tag=bluraycom05-21

I wonder if they created a Dolby Atmos sound mix? That would have required going back to the original scoring session tapes........ hmmm! :)

I hope they didn't go crazy with the HDR on the 4K disc; given the increased luminescence of said treatment, the effect would be positively blinding for this film

Yea, that's a great question: Which version of the film will be shown in theaters.  The eventual BD will surely still have all 3 cuts

If you're referring to the Live to Projection concerts, it was the original.

Spielberg pretty much disowned the 20th Anniversary version after that impromptu audience poll years ago. It wasn't even included on the Bluray.

Super, I never liked the 20th anniversion version! Cheesy E.T., not for me!

I own the two versions of CE3K on an anniversary DVD boxset.  Not sure about the final scene in the ship (can we return back in time when people had imagination and didn't need to "see" everything?)... but I think the montage of the rest of the movie is better than the original. 

That seems very hard for a director to just "correct" a movie without scrapping it by adding unecessarily scene (I think about George Lucas here). Spielberg seems to have understood that after many years, his "recent" reworked version of Jaws is very sober.

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That seems very hard for a director to just "correct" a movie without scrapping it by adding unecessarily scene (I think about George Lucas here). Spielberg seems to have understood that after many years, his "recent" reworked version of Jaws is very sober.

He talked about that pretty specifically in this interview from 2011

(In the future) there’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out, that are guiding the airplanes down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and with all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

I’m in total agreement with you. I wish you could talk George (Lucas) into doing the same thing!

Well, I can’t!

Yeah, I don’t think anybody can!

George goes his own way and I respect him for it, but my new philosophy about this is to let sleeping dogs lie.

31 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Reworked version of Jaws??

Jaws was enhanced when it was restored for the BR release... but it has minor changes... brightness/contrast... mainly the sky color on some shots on the boat... very minor.

On 4-7-2017 at 2:01 PM, crumbs said:

Re-release on the way for 40th Anniversary?

3D conversion? 4K Bluray? Complete score?

What if it was a teaser for a vintage looking game?

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What if it was a teaser for a vintage looking game?

Alien Isolation style? Brilliant!

• 1 month later...

The cut shown for the theatrical re-issue will be the 1998 cut.  It will be in theaters from Friday September 1st through Thursday September 7th.  There's a new poster for it too:

close-encounters.jpg

There will also be a one-off showing 2 days earlier, on Wednesday August 30th, in LA at the ArcLight theater, the theater in which it originally premiered 40 years ago.  

Mike Matessino, Michael Kahn, Marvin Levy, and Michael Klastorin will speak at a panel conference there as well:

ArcLight Cinemas is excited to announce a panel discussion for the 40th anniversary screening of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. 

On Wednesday, August 30th, film editor Michael Kahn A.C.E., Close Encounters & Steven Spielberg publicist Marvin Levy, John Williams soundtrack producer/historian Mike Matessino, and author Michael Klastorin join us after the 7:30 PM screening in the Dome at Hollywood! Reserve your seats today: http://ow.ly/Ycqm30eEHjv

https://www.facebook.com/ArclightCinemas/photos/a.102465465635.103073.91375910635/10154703511785636/

Tickets are available here:

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-40th-anniversar

That poster: just give away the entire film, why don't you?!

Also, Devil's Tower hasn't got the "droopy" bit, on the left, the "landing strip" does not have white stripes running down the middle, the mother ship does not have that colour-scheme, and...oh, yeah...more orange and teal. Fuck.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

IKR

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I Know, Right?

Thanks, guys. It's another TLA! :lol:

8 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Can we have a sticky thread that lists all these obscure acronyms?

IKR is not an acronym, Jerry. Sorry :(

I have no idea what Richard is trying to say there.  When I typed IKR, I was simply abbreviating "I know, right?"

And which recognised words would SETI and NASA be, other than the acronyms?

(Also, as a side note, the palindrome of "Bolton" wouldn't be "Notlob", because neither "Bolton" nor "Notlob" are palindromes)

I just have my roofs done on my house, please LLL, wait before another expanded releases!

Is there any more needless expense in life than to redo a roof?

Image may contain: text

So the panel discussion is after the film and not before it... my poor east coast sleep schedule!

At least you live near an ArcLight theater.  I didn't even know they'd expanded outside of LA, but looks like there's one in Bethesda, MD, now.  If I still lived outside DC I'd probably go.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do?  I had no idea!

EDIT: Did some googling, looks like there isn't on yet but one's opening soon

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/locations/national-expansion

Yikes, that's one old press release.

On 26/08/2017 at 2:34 AM, Bespin said:

I just have my roofs done on my house, please LLL, wait before another expanded releases!

Is there any more needless expense in life than to redo a roof?

You're fixing a hole where the rain gets in, an stops your mind from wondering.

Anyway, Bes, if you spent X $ on your roofs, $29:95 plus tax really isn't going to matter much. 

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

You're fixing a hole where the rain gets in, an stops your mind from wondering.

Anyway, Bes, if you spent X $ on your roofs, $29:95 plus tax really isn't going to matter much. 

That was my last attempt to make a joke on this forum, I swear!

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Image may contain: text

So the panel discussion is after the film and not before it... my poor east coast sleep schedule!

Jay, screw your east coast sleep schedule, it's CE3fuckingK, in Cinerama! :lol:

I'd crawl over hot coals, to see this.

Too bad blighty has to wait for another three weeks.

So...what was it like?

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I just got back from the screening. The movie is very special and the soundtrack is superb and still stunning with it's quality, range, and effectiveness. They announced that John Williams had just approved the final master for an expanded remastered Close Encounters!!

IMG_3345.JPG

Wait! You were there too?

Awesome screening. Though incredibly loud.