Close Encounters of the Third Kind Theatrical Re-release trailer

crumbs

The film is being shown in Dublin in a few weeks. I'm going to go. Another Spielberg/Williams film to cross off the "Seen on the Big Screen" list! Got Jurassic Park the other week. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Close Encounters has always been a very noisy film. Lots of people talking at the same time. Loud sound effects, a loud score.

And now you can enjoy it in a noisy theatre amidst a noisy crowd.

maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So that's why some people are calling Nolan "the next Spielberg"?

Don't you EVER say his name!!!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

And now you can enjoy it in a noisy theatre amidst a noisy crowd.

maxresdefault.jpg

I like one kronkburger with cheese, and one kronkburger with pajatas.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wait! You were there too?

Awesome screening. Though incredibly loud. 

Welcome to LA.  Yes was there.  Damn I wish I had  won those Bowl tickets!  The questions were too hard! 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Close Encounters has always been a very noisy film. Lots of people talking at the same time. Loud sound effects, a loud score.

Basically Spielberg was doing the Nolan/Zimmer thing back in 77 already.

And I was thinking JW did Intersteller way better back in 77.  Some of those alien textures are still so incredible.  Like this one where the three ufo's were waiting to communicate:

...all while managing to keep half the film unscored and providing such a tremendous emotional and thematic evolution.  Wow, that guy was on fire then.  No doubt he is of alien origin.  By the ending, the music really is the film.  It is like a ballet.  Practically no words other than techno babel spoken at the end as is reaches its very satisfying conclusion. On a technical note, yes it was loud but what bothered me was the high frequencies were too shrill.  I assumed that was because I wasn't in an ideal location to get proper frequency blends, but that made the high frequencies (like family chaos and screaming scenes) painful at times.

• 2 months later...

I must admit that I don't have that crave of reseeing this movie now, even on cinema.

Is it a movie that aged so well? I ask it honestly.

No, a film must always be relevant to the year you're currently watching it. Since no-one has smartphones in the film and the special effects were achieved without any digital assistance, you'll never be able to watch it without becoming distracted by its anachronisms. It may as well be thrown in a dustbin.

50 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's a great movie from the 1970's.

And for kids of the sixties...

Like E.T. is a great movie from the 1980's that childs born after of before the seventies will never see as a "great" movie.

Each generation has "it's" movies I guess.

I saw it in the theater for the September reissue and I thought it held up extremely well.

When I came home and played around with the blu ray to see what was different about the 3 major cuts of the film, I realized by far my favorite version is the original theatrical cut, though.  All the scenes in it that got removed in later versions are great scenes and not everything added to the later versions is necessary.

48 minutes ago, Bespin said:

And for kids of the sixties...

Like E.T. is a great movie from the 1980's that childs born after of before the seventies will never see as a "great" movie.

Each generation has "it's" movies I guess.

The new generation is baffled by the overt music. Heck, even I think it's a bit over the top.

I have the Special Edition DVD containing the original version and the new one, but I never really noticed the changes between the versions, except for the useless final scene in the mothership. :sarcasm:

There's a newer version than this one?

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I have the Special Edition DVD containing the original version and the new one, but I never really noticed the changes between the versions, except for the useless final scene in the mothership. :sarcasm:

There's a newer version than this one?

Theatrical version: 1977

Special edition: 1980

Collector's edition: 1998

Just read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Encounters_of_the_Third_Kind#Reissues_and_home_video