Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Edit: Well obviously Spielberg looked  at both projects and decided The Papers needed Williams more.

Ready Player One is what Spielberg calls a potboiler. The Papers is his prestige oscar film. 

I daresay Williams might again be double nominated for Star Wars and The Papers.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

To be honest, I'm more interested what he has to "say" in regards to The Papers anyway. Makes for a nice counterbalance to the new Star Wars scores.

Karol

Yup.  It's been quite a while since he scored a movie like this.  Will he be a little jazzy a la CMIYC?  Maybe like JFK? I don't know!  I bet it'll be great no matter what

Man I have such mixed feelings about this news.

I was so looking forward to another Johnny score in 2018 and RPO seemed like it would have tons of fun musical possibilities. More than Color Purple/Bridge of Spies, this is probably gonna make a non-Williams score sting a little. The news itself is not as shocking coming after BOS, but still kinda hard to see....it does feel like the slow phasing out of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration :( 

On the other hand, it's not like we won't have our fill of JW sci-fi action/adventure coming up and given that choice I'd rather see him keep trucking with Star Wars and a new director than do another throwback with Spielberg. I really enjoy KOTCS/Tintin/BFG but at the same time, there's a little bit of lost steam there. This score would have had plenty of highlights but would it have necessarily been anything we hadn't heard or seen before? TLJ might not be either, granted, but a Rian Johnson/John Williams collab is an unknown quantity. (Btw, is this and BOS karma for all the times Spielberg's projects stepped on SW/Potter in the 2000s? ;))

Plus it is kinda amusing to see Spielberg's alternative picks. Silvestri has always been one of my favorites and with no Horner and Goldsmith he seems the next  "legit" choice for an 80s tribute so I'm still looking forward to this one. Also one of my curiosities with this one was if Williams would do any quotes of BTTF given the DeLorean-esque car in the story...now I guess that feels like a safer bet and would be fun coming from the man himself. And how nice for Silvestri to get his hands on some reliable visually driven action filmmaking again.

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Spielberg is well familiar with Silvestri. I'm sure it was a decision between Steven and John and not some recommendation from a third party. 

Perhaps, but it did seem out of the blue. Of course it doesn't help that I wasn't expecting Williams to not score it, I guess. Still I like the replacement. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Spielberg is well familiar with Silvestri. I'm sure it was a decision between Steven and John and not some recommendation from a third party. 

Plus, Williams in his advanced age doesn't want to score several films in a row like he used to.

He probably said to Steven, "After The Last Jedi, I can do either The Papers or Ready Player One. I can't do both."

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

...it does feel like the slow phasing out of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration :( 

I don't think so. It's just that age and health and scheduling are creating hurdles. Williams is not of the same category of gia/zimmer/desplat doing 4-5 scores a year. He takes time, scores the old fashioned way with a pencil and paper and piano. His music is also much more complicated and intricate than of his peers so cannot be mass produced for every script put in front of him. 

I think he has to be choosy at his advanced age and the stature he has in the industry. 

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

He's not doing much these days anyway

Silvestri is I believe scoring BOTH the avengers infinity war films which budget wise and likely gross wise will be two of the biggest films ever made. So he will definitely be in the limelight and have a high profile.

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I don't think so. It's just that age and health and scheduling are creating hurdles. Williams is not of the same category of gia/zimmer/desplat doing 4-5 scores a year. He takes time, scores the old fashioned way with a pencil and paper and piano. His music is also much more complicated and intricate than of his peers so cannot be mass produced for every script put in front of him. 

I think he has to be choosy at his advanced age and the stature he has in the industry. 

That's exactly what I meant.

30 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Silvestri is I believe scoring BOTH the avengers infinity war films which budget wise and likely gross wise will be two of the biggest films ever made. So he will definitely be in the limelight and have a high profile.

Aside from that though, his slate is mostly clean though. I'm glad to see him scoring more films though. 

Should I care about "The Papers" at all?

I heard the title, it sounds super boring, and I didn't bother investigating any further.

Ready Player One sounds like it might have brought some interesting fun.

On the other hand, I really like Silvestri; especially when he's at the top of his game.

I'll be very, very curious to see and hear what this ends up like.

Plus, Williams is doing Star Wars, so it seems a fair enough trade.

7 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Should I care about "The Papers" at all?

I heard the title, it sounds super boring, and I didn't bother investigating any further.

It's going to be 2 hours of people doing paperwork.

If Disco Stu is to be believed, it's going to be another masterpiece a la Bridge Of Spies.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's going to be 2 hours of people doing paperwork.

LOL!!!

That indeed IS what it sounds like based on the title. :P

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

If Disco Stu is to be believed, it's going to be another masterpiece a la Bridge Of Spies.

Is that a masterpiece? I haven't bothered watching that yet at all.

Haven't heard a note of the music either.

7 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Damn!

Silvestri might be the perfect alternate though... I'd much rather a Silvestri RPO than a Thomas Newman Papers, so not too bummed.

Thats... probably the best way if looking at it. 

15 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I only hope so!

15 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I haven't bothered watching that yet at all

Approach with caution!  I'm the only one on the board who thinks it's a masterpiece (though I'm far from the only person generally, there's many notable critics who feel similarly).

18 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

2018 is the Year of Silvestri!  He's scoring the new Spielberg and what will undoubtedly be the 1st or 2nd highest grossing movie of the year.  I'm happy for him.

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

....it does feel like the slow phasing out of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration :( 

:(:(:(

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I want RPO to be a R-Rated movie! Spielberg didn't do that for 12 years!

The book is very PG13 and I imagine that what he'll go for here. 

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I want RPO to be a R-Rated movie! Spielberg didn't do that for 12 years!

Spielberg won't have another R rated movie.

oh sad..i was curious about this one.

well if the delorean makes an appearance in this film, silvestri makes sense. alot of sense. And this way he can quote other things, Williams is not very keen on quoting other film's scores.

its also sad giacchino has still not taken over the 'spielberg franchise'

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

its also sad giacchino has still not taken over the 'spielberg franchise'

Sad? He's now 0/2 for Williams' personal recommendations to Spielberg. It's heartening! :P

At this point, Williams is just doing Star Wars to stop Giacchino from ruining Rey's Theme!

To take his rightful place at Spielberg's side as the next John Williams? Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Karol

Just now, Stefancos said:

Do you really believe that?

I doesn't matter what I believe. It is happening regardless.

Karol

i was kidding.

probably spielberg will pick one composer at a time so he doesnt befriend another one, it's going to be very hard for him when someday Williams passes :(

And he may like the diversity. Maybe giacchino will score one spielberg film, but that will be it. Maybe even zimmer does one.

Are you suggesting Spielberg will now become a slag? But then, I guess this is a natural part of withdrawal process from 43 years of marriage... Guy's got to play the field a little.

Karol

Spielberg has stuck with Williams because he's a) a genius and b) probably the most chameleon-esque film composer working today.

When the time comes, I think he'll just choose the best composer for the subject matter. Newman for small dramas, Silvestri for action/adventure films, maybe Powell for animated films?

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

While one could argue about the classification chameleon-esque

And they would be wrong. Name another working film composer with scores as varied as The Lost World, Schinder's List, Star Wars, Memoirs of a Geisha, Dracula, Prisoner of Azkaban, Artificial Intelligence... and Heartbeeps!