Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No, it means Zimmer is capable of producing a sound that fits Spielberg's films. People tend to ignore the wealth of small dramas that he has scored over the years. 

Zimmer of 90's? Maybe. Zimmer today? Doubtful. 

Zimmer TODAY decries old school music and is all about 'innovating' whatever that means. And Spielberg still has a very orchestral full symphonic melodic sound to his films. The twain don't meet methinks.

There is that famous quote from the 90s where Spielberg said he would hire Zimmer if Williams should not be available for some reason. Hasn't happened yet, but I have no doubt it will. Looking forward to that. Meanwhile, it seems he's using the composers from his 'extended family' (Newman with the personal Williams connection, Silvestri with the Spielberg-produced stuff in the past).

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Zimmer TODAY decries old school music and is all about 'innovating' whatever that means.

It means that when you're playing in a sandbox where many older, talented kids have been doing great stuff, you reach a point where it feels more right to make up your own new games rather than to keep retreading what's already been done excellently. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

There is that famous quote from the 90s where Spielberg said he would hire Zimmer if Williams should not be available for some reason. Hasn't happened yet, but I have no doubt it will. Looking forward to that. Meanwhile, it seems he's using the composers from his 'extended family' (Newman with the personal Williams connection, Silvestri with the Spielberg-produced stuff in the past).

Hopefully, that will never happen. If that happens, a Spielberg film will be nothing more than a random Hollywood fluff. The only exceptional thing of The BFG is the music. Nolan should also work with Silvestri, Shore or Newman... or Williams.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Zimmer TODAY decries old school music

I must've missed this interview.

Zimmer may spout glib soundbites for the press, but I'd never heard him attack more traditional symphonic film music, even through his rctec account on VI Control. 

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Zimmer TODAY decries old school music and is all about 'innovating' whatever that means. And Spielberg still has a very orchestral full symphonic melodic sound to his films. The twain don't meet methinks.

False again. Just in the past two years he has scored: The Boss Baby, The Last Face, Kung Fu Panda 3, Freeheld, The Little Prince, Woman In Gold...

15 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I must've missed this interview.

Yeah I remember the soundbite where he was cackling like a madman that he was launching a full scale assault on traditional film music, taking inspiration from then-Senator Obama's sinister and malicious claim that he would "fundamentally transform this nation". Zimmer is out for blood and won't rest until film music is dead after he's killed it slowly from the inside.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

False again. Just in the past two years he has scored: The Boss Baby, The Last Face, Kung Fu Panda 3, Freeheld, The Little Prince, Woman In Gold...

#handed out

Silvestri's last true moments of glory, 'Predator 2', 'Judge Dredd' and 'The Mummy Returns' ('Van Helsing' gets a honourable mention) shall be the benchmark for this movie.

It's a sequel which saunas in 90s excess, but the one vs one third act is still almost as entertaining as Arnie vs Predator in the original film. Those scenes are a feast of Saturday night sci-fi nostalgia. 

I actually enjoy the film version much and consider it a worthy sequel.  Of course, the original film is WAY better, and a compete and utter classic.  But Predator 2 is a fine sequel, certainly loads better than that terrible Predators movie.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah.  I saw that in theaters and haven't seen it since, but I remember being impressed and affected by his performance.  Weird career.

I wonder what his performance would have been like in The Thin Red Line, had Malick not cut out all his lines. Either way, I like him as an actor, and particularly enjoy his roles in King Kong, The Brothers Bloom, and Hollywoodland. 

Brody was also great in Detachment, a little known film about a teacher.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He wasnt very good in this though. No one was. Lots of swearing and sweating. Not much else.

He's a considerably better actor then Arnold though, although Arnold was much more charming of course. 

• 3 months later...

So he hasn't even started Ready Player One yet!?!? It's releasing before The Avengers! 

Why the hell isn't Johnny doing it!?!? Geez, just because he's 85 and semi-retired doesn't mean he can just decide what he does and doesn't want to work on! Fuck!