Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Sounds good! Even if trying a little too hard to sound particularly modern. But the orchestra sounds really nice, particularly the brass.

The main theme just got released via Entertainment Weekly, along with some words from Spielberg and Silvestri.. http://ew.com/movies/2018/03/15/ready-player-one-soundtrack-first-listen/

“While all sorts of culturally iconic references populate Ready Player One, the score that Alan Silvestri composed is completely and intoxicatingly original,” Spielberg said in a statement. “It’s bound together by multiple themes that identify plot and character and is infused by such percussive adrenaline and soaring strings that Alan has made Ready Player One appear to fly.”

Silvestri added, “An invitation to travel arrived just about a year ago, not just to a place, but to a time. Actually, to a number of times — primarily the year 2045, along with a few stops in the ’80s. A rather detailed map had been drawn by Ernest Cline and the Captain of the voyage, none other than Mr. Spielberg himself. What could one possibly do or say? Pencil in hand, one firmly fastens one’s seatbelt, says ‘Sir, Yes, Sir,’ and prepares for the trip of a lifetime.”

I agree, though the orchestrations and performance are at least splendid enough. But I'm a poor judge as to whether or not a theme qualifies as memorable, as I can whistle Jurassic World's or War for the Planet of the Apes' themes without having to think about it. 

I really like it! Definitely a blast from my past, and it sounds pretty much like I had expected. Which is a good thing in this case. Hopefully, this is just but one of several themes and rollicking setpieces.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

But I'm a poor judge as to whether or not a theme qualifies as memorable, as I can whistle Jurassic World's or War for the Planet of the Apes' themes without having to think about it. 

True

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

What are you?

A thala siren of course. I suppose you have not seen TLJ? Or are you one of the conspirators who neglects me for my inability to produce blue milk.

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Isn't this the sort of thing that sparked our interest in film scores in the first place before we tried to kid ourselves that we also enjoy boring shit like The Post?

No.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Impressive orchestration, very nice music, but not memorable... but much more exciting than The Post. There I said it.

Not a very high benchmark, though. Reminds me of 'The Rescuers Down Under' and several early to mid 90's - not 80's - scores by the likes of Silvestri, Debney & Co. It's nice.

The theme is already officially stuck in my head. The melody itself is undeniably Silvestri. I can hear Stuart Little, Captain America, Back to the Future, Forest Gump and Parent Trap flavourings all in the structure of the theme. He definitely can make many new themes from one path of notes.