Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

great score!

Has anyone come across a track listing for the RPO Soundtrack listed in chronological order?

Also possibly one with the all the 70s-80s songs included chronologically as well?

40 minutes ago, jedimastere said:

Has anyone come across a track listing for the RPO Soundtrack listed in chronological order?

On 4/3/2018 at 6:09 PM, Jay said:

Isn't it already chronological?

On 4/3/2018 at 6:20 PM, Jay said:

I think it is.  I haven't seen the movie, but that's what I've understood from discussion on here and FSM.

I believe the track called "Main Title" is a concert arrangement of the theme, and the film's main titles are very short and "scored" with a pop song from what I've understood.

Has anyone seen a physical copy of this score. I can’t even order one for amazon here and the local shops don’t even have it in their systems. (in Canada). Starting to wonder if all we are going to get here is the iTunes copy. 

8 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

Has anyone seen a physical copy of this score. I can’t even order one for amazon here and the local shops don’t even have it in their systems. (in Canada). Starting to wonder if all we are going to get here is the iTunes copy. 

Um what abou this?

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Um what abou this?

Karol

Yeah they have it listed on amazon.ca BUT it's never been in stock yet. It went from pre-release to not in stock. :(

4 hours ago, El Jefe said:

A few nice songs but a rather bland selection of music.

No album that has "Stayin' Alive," "Blue Monday," and "We're Not Gonna Take It" should be called bland.

On 4/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, Bryant Burnette said:

No album that has "Stayin' Alive," "Blue Monday," and "We're Not Gonna Take It" should be called bland.

It doesn't have Jump.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I received the physical OST from Amazon US last week

I guess our retailers here “up north” must just still be waiting for their copies. 

On 13/04/2018 at 4:26 AM, jedimastere said:

has anyone come across a track listing for the RPO Soundtrack listed in chronological order?

Also possibly one with the all the 70s-80s songs included chronologically as well?

Like this? I accidentally ran across it:

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=59977

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well, that link confirms the score album is already in chronological order at least

I only bothered posting it because there were songs included too.

No, I know, you provided exactly what @jedimastere asked for! You didn't do anything wrong, you did something great ! I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I was just referring back to @Ricard's question from earlier about the score album being in chronological order or not

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, I know, you provided exactly what @jedimastere asked for! You didn't do anything wrong, you did something great ! I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I was just referring back to @Ricard's question from earlier about the score album being in chronological order or not

No worries; just making sure.

I know some people don't appreciate Filmtracks links being posted, so it seemed a bit of a risk even if I only accidentally ran across it.

Haven't yet seen the RPO film or heard the music.

No time, no time, even though I'm fairly excited for it.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:51 PM, Jay said:

Exactly what I asked for!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who finds this score quite underwhelming? Maybe I need to see the film then re-listen.

There's no great hooks, and much of the action writing lacks definition and seems to just recycle musical ideas we've heard in Silvestri's other scores - I know most composers do, but here they just sound the 'least different'. It's putting me off some Silvestri a little: I mean, I loved The Mummy Returns as a kid (one of my entries into film score), Back to the Future is a deserved classic, The Abyss has its fascinating moments, and he hits the write tone with Americana dramas, but I cannot seem to get excited about the rest.

• 1 month later...

I could only listen to this one-and-a-half times before I put it down.

Now I have enjoyed this score within the film much more. I appreciate it would've been foolish to musically represent the crowded pop culture references (and if you give a nod to a few, why those and not others?). But the pace and tone of the score fitted the movie well, even the self-conscious Back to the Future music. The themes did not excite me at all, but I can see how they are drawn from the tone of video game scores and work well in that sense.

• 1 year later...

Just noticed the Chronological Film Score Blog has posted a chronological order.  Here is is:

D1T1 - The Oasis (1:48)
D1T2 - Hello, I'm James Halliday (2:02)
D1T3 - Why Can't We Go Backwards? (4:19)
D1T4 - An Orb Meeting (4:11)
D1T5 - Real World Consequences (3:30)
D1T6 - Sorrento Makes An Offer (:00-1:12) [Rename to "Touch the Prism"]
D1T6 - Sorrento Makes An Offer (2:00-End) [Rename to "Sorrento Threat"]
D1T6 - Sorrento Makes An Offer (1:12-2:00) [Rename to "Stacks Aftermath”]
D1T7 - Welcome to the Rebellion (3:14)
D1T8 - High 5 Assembles (4:25)
D1T9 - Orb Of Osuvox (3:45)
D1T10 - Sorrento Punked (3:57)
D1T11 - Wade's Broadcast (5:51)
D2T1 - Arty On The "Inside" (2:33)
D2T2 - Looking For A Truck (5:36)
D2T3 - She Never Left (2:41)
D2T4 - Last Chance (3:20)
D2T5 - Get Me Out Of This (1:35)
D2T6 - Hold On To Something (5:15)
D2T7 - This Is Wrong (3:48)
D2T8 - What Are You? (3:30)
D2T9 - There's Something I Need To Do (5:00)
D2T10 - Main Title (2:31)
D2T11 - End Credits (8:03)

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2018/06/ready-player-one.html

• 1 year later...

I was reading Filmtrack's review of this, and regarding the packaging he writes:

The insert includes a list of performers and the standard note from Steven Spielberg about the film and score. The packaging of the physical product smells especially foul.

Does he mean it literally?

Probably. I've noticed Clemmenson picking up on a number of things that have nothing to do with the music.

I don't particularly like how he highlights the (usually lack of) music analysis in liner notes. It feels like he's slapping down score releases when they contain anything less than the sort of analysis that speciality releases do.

I can't even remember the last time I went to his website, its been well over 10-12 years, I think.

One thing I like with his reviews is that he's not afraid of being critical. That's more informative to the prospective buyer, as opposed to for example Jonathan Broxton who seems to embrace almost everything.

He definitely makes scores earn their rating. I do think his RCP reviews are unhelpful though (his Clash Of The Titans review is both hilarious and incredibly disrespectful) given that he clearly hates most of them.