Which Jerry Goldsmith auto-pilot action score is the best?

Brundlefly

Which Jerry Goldsmith auto-pilot action score is the best?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of those three scores is the best?

• Executive Decision
    • Chain Reaction
    • U.S. Marshals
  2. 2. Air Force One is better than all of them!

I always felt as though "Well, I'm a Goldsmith fan, I'll probably end up owning one of those out of obligation someday. None of them sound interesting, but they have their fans, so who knows, maybe Air Force One will grow on me. As is, it just sounds like Total Recall without the fun."

And then I hear Shadow Conspiracy.

"Nevermind, if I want a badass 90's thriller score, just gimme this one!" 

I mean, it's a score for some political thriller that's actually INTERESTING? For a guy like me that's usually bored if a man-eating monster of some kind isn't involved? Then yeah, it's good stuff.

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Having listened to the complete score of Air Force One, I came to the conclusion that Chain Reaction is indeed a better score.

I also love Chain Reaction with its unique electric guitar flavor. IMO besides maybe The Hijacking, the parts of AFO that are arguably stronger than Chain Reaction are mostly by Joel McNeely, channeling 70s Goldsmith.

And we know thanks to that Bruce Botnick interview that soon we will be able to assess US Marshals in complete form as well, which I think is the only one remaining of Jerry’s “autopilot action scores” of the 90s that has yet to be expanded. I’ve always had trouble with that score’s similarity to Star Trek: Insurrection, which is unfair because it was written a bit before that, but as a Trek fan I discovered Insurrection first (and despite re-using a motif from US Marshals it’s still the most consistently enjoyable of Jerry’s TNG Trek film scores IMO).

@Kasey Kockroach have you listened to my Goldsmith Odyssey Interview with Bruce Broughton? We discuss Shadow Conspiracy (Jens and I also admire that score):

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

Yavar

• 3 months later...

Now we're allowed to appreciate each of those four scores in full length and I wonder, whether the Deluxe Editions of Air Force One and U.S. Marshals will be responsible for any re-evaluations.

The_Big_Four.png