Not Without My Daughter (Jerry Goldsmith)

Josh500

Not Without My Daughter (Jerry Goldsmith)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the score from Jerry Goldsmith!

• I don't know this score.

I recently saw this score for 10 bucks. Should I get it?

I was wondering whether anybody owns this score and if so, what their opinion of it? Is it one of Goldsmith's better efforts?

After getting Alien, I'm on a Jerry Goldsmith phase again... So many scores to choose from, and I'm wondering which JG scores to get next.

Currently I own these JG scores:

Basic Instinct

Poltergeist 

Total Recall 

Alien

Dennis the Menace 

First Knight

Gremlins 2

Congo

Medicine Man

Omen

Guys, that's FIRST KNIGHT :)

I have this score, but it's been ages since I heard it. I'll give it another listen, asap, but I remember it not being one of his most inspired works. The film is, basically, Muslim-bashing, before Muslim-bashing became popular.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Basic Instinct

Poltergeist 

Total Recall 

Alien

Dennis the Menace 

First Night

Gremlins 2

Congo

Medicine Man

Omen

Josh, you really need THE FINAL CONFLICT, and STAR TREK:TMP, asap!!!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Guys, that's FIRST KNIGHT :)

Josh, you really need THE FINAL CONFLICT, and STAR TREK:TMP, asap!!!

I know. Just a typo. :lol:

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I have this score, but it's been ages since I heard it. I'll give it another listen, asap, but I remember it not being one of his most inspired works. The film is, basically, Muslim-bashing, before Muslim-bashing became popular.

Indeed. One of the most racist, dumbed-down movies. You just know the audience are your average popcorn munching idiots....

Still, apart from that, the movie is rather entertaining. Basically your typical cat and mouse chase movie (or escape movie) with a Middle Eastern twist. It's Jurassic Park, except instead of dinos in the jungle, you have a Muslim guy in the desert chasing our heroes....  :D

Joking aside, the best part about this movie is probably the score, though.

There's something rather fascinating and awe-inspiring about Jerry Goldsmith's music!

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes. Why is it racist?

If you don't understand that, you might be racist too! Seriously.

According to critical reviews: 

Not Without My Daughter was poorly received, and has been criticized for its misrepresentation of Muslim Iranians and of their culture. Caryn James of The New York Times, in a review, states that the movie "exploits the stereotype of the demonic Iranian...it is an utter artistic failure, and its reliance on cultural stereotype is a major cause". Moody, she writes, seems to be a "pure product of his culture, a mysterious, misogynist Easterner...the film views fanaticism as the Iranian national character". A review in the Los Angeles Times described the movie as "unbalanced and distorted" which "fails to distinguish between the (Iranian) state and the people".

In his review, noted film critic Roger Ebert stated the film made "moral and racial assertions that are deeply troubling" and that it "does not play fair with its Muslim characters. If a movie of such a vitriolic and spiteful nature were to be made in America about any other ethnic group, it would be denounced as racist and prejudiced." While Iranians are not shown in a completely negative light, as the film depicts generous and brave Iranians who contact Betty Mahmoody and arrange for the escape of her and her daughter, these "good" Iranians are high-born opponents of the Islamic Republic regime, shown listening to European classical music.

The score by Jerry Goldsmith was also not well received. Jay Boyar of the Orlando Sentinel called it "TV-movie manipulative", while Jason Ankeny of AllMusic wrote, "Jerry Goldsmith's score does little to refute its opponents' charges of racism."

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's not racist (the score), just plain bad. And aesthetically 10 years behind the times (those synth/drum pads!).

Yeah, that last sentence (of the reviews) doesn't make sense.

How exactly is the music gonna refute charges of racism? lol

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

If you don't understand that, you might be racist too! Seriously.

According to critical reviews: 

Not Without My Daughter was poorly received, and has been criticized for its misrepresentation of Muslim Iranians and of their culture. Caryn James of The New York Times, in a review, states that the movie "exploits the stereotype of the demonic Iranian...it is an utter artistic failure, and its reliance on cultural stereotype is a major cause". Moody, she writes, seems to be a "pure product of his culture, a mysterious, misogynist Easterner...the film views fanaticism as the Iranian national character". A review in the Los Angeles Times described the movie as "unbalanced and distorted" which "fails to distinguish between the (Iranian) state and the people".

In his review, noted film critic Roger Ebert stated the film made "moral and racial assertions that are deeply troubling" and that it "does not play fair with its Muslim characters. If a movie of such a vitriolic and spiteful nature were to be made in America about any other ethnic group, it would be denounced as racist and prejudiced." While Iranians are not shown in a completely negative light, as the film depicts generous and brave Iranians who contact Betty Mahmoody and arrange for the escape of her and her daughter, these "good" Iranians are high-born opponents of the Islamic Republic regime, shown listening to European classical music.

The score by Jerry Goldsmith was also not well received. Jay Boyar of the Orlando Sentinel called it "TV-movie manipulative", while Jason Ankeny of AllMusic wrote, "Jerry Goldsmith's score does little to refute its opponents' charges of racism."

Have you seen the film, Josh?

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Basic Instinct

Poltergeist 

Total Recall 

Alien

Dennis the Menace 

First Knight

Gremlins 2

Congo

Medicine Man

Omen

You've only 10 Goldsmith scores and you already think of buying Not Without my Daughter?! No! This should be the last score you buy from Goldsmith!

6 hours ago, publicist said:

No. It's actually one of his all-time worst.

This!

The next 10 scores you should get are:

Papillon

The Wind and the Lion

The Boys from Brazil

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

First Blood (not because it's the best of the three scores, but one should start with the first part)

Under Fire

Legend

The Russia House

The Shadow

The Ghost and the Darkness (imagine Congo, but ten times better!)

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You've only 10 Goldsmith scores and you already think of buying Not Without my Daughter?! No! This should be the last score you buy from Goldsmith!

This!

The next 10 scores you should get are:

Papillon

The Wind and the Lion

The Boys from Brazil

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

First Blood (not because it's the best of the three scores, but one should start with the first part)

Under Fire

Legend

The Russia House

The Shadow

The Ghost and the Darkness (imagine Congo, but ten times better!)

Rambo has been on my wishlist for a long time! Somehow I never got around to getting it.

By the way, I like the score to Congo (never seen the film). The main title track is pretty catchy.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

By the way, I like the score to Congo (never seen the film). The main title track is pretty catchy.

Then you're gonna love The Ghost and the Darkness. But I would not recommend you to watch either film - they can spoil the music a little bit.

By the way I would also recommend to look for such OOP hidden gems like:

The Burbs

Innerspace

The Edge

Masada

One of them costs less than 40 bucks? - grab it as fast as you can!

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The Burbs

Innerspace

The Edge

Masada

Out of those four, I only love The Edge. Innerspace is pretty boring but for a few neat tracks. Someday I will unloaded it. Masada has a great main theme, but the rest of the score also loses my interest. Never heard The Burbs. 

The Burbs is fun.

There's no reason to listen to Not Without My Daughter unless you're one of those insane FSM Goldsmith completist fanboys. Even then, I question if they're really listening to and enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

Out of those four, I only love The Edge. Innerspace is pretty boring but for a few neat tracks. Someday I will unloaded it. Masada has a great main theme, but the rest of the score also loses my interest. Never heard The Burbs. 

'Masada' is sublime and 'The Road To Masada' on of his all-time greats. Time for another plug of my own upload:

Okay, today I got three soundtracks.

Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek

James Newton Howard's The Fugitive

Basil Poledouris's The Hunt for Red October 

All used, all under 10 bucks. Nice haul, not bad.

(I also saw Not Without My Daughter, but after reading the comments about it here, I didn't get it.)

10 hours ago, Woj said:

Never heard The Burbs. 

The Burbs is his highlight comedy score, which exceeds Gremlins, Gremlins 2, Matinee, Small Soldiers and Looney Tunes!

I've now been looking for different OOP titles (and there are a lot of Jerry Goldsmith titles that are out of print)! It is very obvious the price is mostly based on AVAILABILITY and QUALITY. It's like the sellers want nothing more than getting rid of "Not Without My Daughter" and "Bad Girls", but "Masada", "Innerspace", "The 'Burbs" and "Coma" (:angry:and newly "The Sum of All Fears":angry:) hold their incredibly high prizes.