SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Disco Stu

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So clearly JW is a big part of the documentary but was omitted from the interview list. Pathetic!

But hey, we better hear what one-time collaborator Leonardo DiCaprio has to say!

(A) You don't know Williams isn't interviewed.

(B) He'd just tell one of the same 3 stories we've all heard a million times, so I actually don't care either way

(C) I'd be very interested in Leo's thoughts on working with Spielberg

Did you ever hear the tragedy of John Williams the composer? It's not a story Williams would tell you. It's a Williams legend. John Williams was a film composer so powerful and so wise, he could use the music to influence the films to create...emotion. He had such a knowledge of film scoring, he could even keep Steven Spielberg from hiring anyone else for Schindler's List. Unfortunately, they were all dead. Ironic.

Speaking of Indy, did anybody see Ford on Graham Norton this week? He looked very well, and better than he looked during the promo phase of Force Awakens (where I thought he'd possibly suffered a mini stroke). 

41 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Speaking of Indy, did anybody see Ford on Graham Norton this week? He looked very well, and better than he looked during the promo phase of Force Awakens (where I thought he'd possibly suffered a mini stroke). 

I thought he appeared quite healthy and energetic during the TFA stuff, actually.

He does seem to be happier and more engaged in his public appearances lately.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

That article indicates Spielberg has two start date films. Edgardo Mortara back on the radar for next year, followed by Indy in 2019?

Interesting.  Perhaps that means that Edgardo will be a 2018 score for Williams?

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Interesting.  Perhaps that means that Edgardo will be a 2018 score for Williams?

You don't let a Kushner script go to waste. While they were struggling to get a child actor (and Oscar Isaac dropped out) the film was basically ready to start. Locations, actors, Italian production department in full swing. It only went on the back-burner to accommodate the sudden availability of Hanks and Streep for The Post.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he moved straight back to Mortara (ready for Oscar eligibility in December) then spent 2019 shooting Indy 5 (releasing July 2020).

If one counted their chickens before they hatch, Williams could spend the latter half of 2018 writing Mortara, dedicate all of 2019 to Episode IX (let's face it, it'll be TFA MKII with Abrams returning) then spend the first half of 2020 writing Indy 5.

I wonder when we'll start hearing about The Post sessions? Presumably Williams started writing weeks ago.

How late in post were scores like WOTW, Munich or Lincoln recorded?

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder when we'll start hearing about The Post sessions? Presumably Williams started writing weeks ago.

How late in post were scores like WOTW, Munich or Lincoln recorded?

I believe Munich was recorded quite late, since he did Memoirs of a Geisha earlier that fall. A similar situation happened with War of the Worlds being written on the heels of the ROTS recording sessions and then recorded in late spring 2005. (I think there is a moment in the score featurette where you can see a May timestamp). For some reason I want to say Lincoln was recorded fairly early, sometime in spring 2012. But I am less clear on that one.

Didn't Lincoln have the score in the trailer? So yeah, that must have been early.

With the condensed production schedule of The Post, I'd guess the score will record early November, allowing a fortnight to finalize the sound mix before picture lock in early December.

Was much more interested in Spielberg doing Montezuma with Javier Bardem off a script by Steve Zaillian:

Cortez led an infiltration into Mexico in 1519 —bringing a lust for gold and silver, religion, and diseases like smallpox–and right away developed a relationship with Aztec ruler Montezuma. Initially held as a guest/prisoner by the Aztec leader, Cortez eventually turned the tables. The Spanish aggression led to outright battles with invading forces and when Montezuma finally succumbed, he was killed by his countryman shortly after. The warring continued, and, Cortez fathered a child with Montezuma’s daughter, following his death. This is all just coming together, maybe too soon for Spielberg to do next. But it should be the first big movie deal of the new year.

Steven Spielberg, Javier Bardem, Steve Zaillian Circle Montezuma-Cortez Epic

Never saw the light of day. Would love to see Martin Scorsese or Mel Gibson tackle a film like this. Spielberg has refrained from portraying violence since Munich, so I doubt he'd do justice to the property.

So far as I know, this was his last comment on the film:

Further upcoming projects include Montezuma, about 16th-century Spanish explorer Hernan Cortes and his historic battle against the Aztec emperor, Montezuma II. Spielberg is developing the project with Javier Bardem, who is set to play Cortes. “My executive producer is actually Kirk Douglas, who is 99 years old,” he adds, the same age as Spielberg’s father Arnold, who, the director proudly says, still reads all of his screenplays.

Spielberg also confirms he is working on It’s What I Do, starring Jennifer Lawrence as wartime photographer Lynsey Addario, one of four journalists held captive by the Libyan army in 2011.

Spielberg discusses upcoming projects, Decmeber 2015

I'd like to see Spielberg tackle any of those films, and I'm sure Williams scores would be golden too. Out of the bunch though, Montezuma sounds the more interesting.

I really like how suddenly active Spielberg is with his all of projects lately. I just hope that most of them actually get made. 

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

With the condensed production schedule of The Post, I'd guess the score will record early November, allowing a fortnight to finalize the sound mix before picture lock in early December.

I've been wondering about that too.  Unless they're being really quiet about the scoring sessions, they seem to be cutting it really close.

Also, I imagine a trailer will drop fairly soon.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I've been wondering about that too.  Unless they're being really quiet about the scoring sessions, they seem to be cutting it really close.

Also, I imagine a trailer will drop fairly soon.

Yeah, Lincoln's dropped on September 13 in advance of a November 9 release date, so you'd imagine we'll get a trailer for this by the end of the month. 

Unfortunately I guess we can assume there won't be any Williams music in the teaser, since the sessions haven't happened yet. 

I'm watching the preview clips and Daniel Craig's hair is amazing. Nice jacket, too.

craig.jpg

It's cropped for perfect thickness and slicked over just right to be manageable, but without compromise. It's a follicular masterpiece.

I caught it from around The Color Purple. It seems they skipped over talking about Always and Hook, sadly. Didn't see that coming!

Overall, it's a lot of stuff we've seen and heard before, but most of us quasi-normal human beings here whose moviegoing (and music listening) lives have been affected by the man will eat it up. Williams is in it briefly at the end and Spielberg says exactly what he should, exactly what we all know.

Of course, it comes with the highest recommendation I could give it.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to go pick up a copy of Munich.