E.T 4k Blu-ray & Remastered 1982 OST Soundtrack: 35th Anniversary Set in September

Amer

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Sounds like he misspoke.  Or typed.

He said 'Remixed and Mastered by me'  He probably knows what he is saying. A recording engineer would never make a fatal mistake of mixing these two words. Now this  anomaly will further mystify the fans..LOL

On 7/20/2017 at 10:53 PM, azahid said:

The DVD set which also came with an Illustrated Screenplay coffee table book and a screen cell pic, 20th anniversary soundtrack cd,  featured the CGI altered altered special edition with extended scenes and Williams live concert performance as a bonus sound mix. This version and the live performance have not been issued on blu ray to date. The digibook blu ray set however is very detailed and is compact. I still feel they should have released the extended cut as a bonus in the forthcoming set with the new Williams track. But I guess Spielberg is not interested in it for now. 

No idea as I never had the laserdisc. As for the cd I remember reading that it was the MCA 1996 expansion set? Can you post some pics of that gold cd? Im curious. 

I posted some stuff here on that gold CD: 

2 hours ago, azahid said:

Thanks. My new collector's Grail!

I like it, To me I can hear differences in something the mixing is a tad diffrent and must have been done for this set. I wish I could find more on who did it exactly for this release.

Here's what Steve Hoffman said in his forum in 2005 about the E.T. recordings:

" ET was recorded on four channel 1/2" analog tape at 15 ips Dolby A with a split "mixed" feed to Botnick's two-track digital machine. From that he DIGITALLY edited the soundtrack album onto a 1610 digital master.

I prepared a DDD CD release for Uni in 1984 from the Botnick digital master (without the gaps for the side split) but I have no idea if it was used or not. The filed LP cutting master tape was 30 ips analog DUBBED at Whitney Studios from the 2 track digital tape as prepared by Botnick at Digital Magnetics in '82 (or was it '83?) So the tape marked "master" is really a dub of the digital edited U-Matic tape.

Confused? Well, I have never heard the ET soundtrack on CD so I can't help you. HOWEVER:

Listen to the beginning. If there is any tape hiss on there it's the analog safety. If it's quiet as a mouse AND it doesn't sound like noise reduction was used then it is from the tape I prepared which was completely DDD. I did it at DM under Botnick's supervision. Heh, my version had a whopping 80db of dynamic range which was almost too much for the playback gear of the time to handle. For most of the opening piece the VU meters didn't even MOVE! The analog dub was limited down to 20db which was still pretty radical for an LP cut in the early 80's on poor vinyl. I bet they had a lot of returns.."

Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/original-mca-e-t-soundtrack-cd-aad-or-ddd.62501/#post-1315267

More update on the new ET remaster cd. : Its not remixed just remastered as Jay thought. I'm now informed:   "A 1/4" stereo tape was used for the OST remaster in the gift set. The material was not remixed"

ta dah!

Makes sense but It was an intriguing thought. There was an audiophile pressing of the OST album issued on cd probably Japan (Which I had to sell a year ago to meet ny finances) and it sounded way better and punchier than the one on the other regular edition. So I'am now hoping to see how good this new remaster will sound.

3 minutes ago, azahid said:

More update on the new ET remaster cd. : Its not remixed just remastered as Jay thought. I'm now informed:   "A 1/4" stereo tape was used for the OST remaster in the gift set. The material was not remixed"

ta dah!

That's probably the 30ips analog dub that Hoffman mentioned. :(

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

There would be absolutely no reason to remix that grammy winning 1982 album.

But wouldn't be great to listen to a pristine transfer from the digital masters instead of an analog dub?

19 minutes ago, phbart said:

But wouldn't be great to listen to a pristine transfer from the digital masters instead of an analog dub?

Of course, and doing so would be a remastering, not a remixing.

Yes, of course. Original albums don't need remixing. They are just meant to sound better than what they did when originally released, not to sound different.

However, a newly expanded edition will definitelly benefit from the technology that a modern 2017 mixing software can bring than a 1982, 1996 or 2002 could do.

On 30/07/2017 at 2:25 AM, rough cut said:

I like this thread, a lot of interesting tidbits surface regarding Hoffman's remaster as well as the 2017-one.

Now if they only would have included the Michael Jackson story book...

Incidentally back in the mid 80's this MJ cassette was my first experience with Williams E.T. score. I still have it (I think)

• 1 month later...

Ok here are the first pics of the 2nd Disc set 😁 ie. The OST included in the 4k blu ray set. I got these directly from Bill Hunt who did the review of the entire blu ray set at his The Digital Bits website. (This disc does not contain the Alternates which are exclusive to the LLL set)

received_10156246537434573.jpeg

received_10156246537514573.jpeg

received_10156246537704573.jpeg

Unlike the 2002 release of the DVD set with the coffee table book which just had the cd embedded in the fold out set and the booklet tossed in. Here you can actually keep the cd seperately. I may buy this new set only when the price is considerably lowered on amazon.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2017 at 5:39 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

That's an exaggeration. Blu-ray looks fine if it's masterered well and it's accurate to the source. Problems only show up when it's viewed upscaled on a UHD screen, which it wasn't designed for.

Not true. Blu-Ray is 8-bit, UHD is 10-bit. Makes a world of difference. And the codec is also much worse on Blu-Ray. No matter what you do, you will never be able to avoid banding on Blu-Ray.

2 minutes ago, Simon R. said:

Not true. Blu-Ray is 8-bit, UHD is 10-bit. Makes a world of difference. And the codec is also much worse on Blu-Ray. No matter what you do, you will never be able to avoid banding on Blu-Ray.

I agree! Terrible format! Should never have been released!

I never said Blu-Ray looks like shit, did I? But compared to UHD Blu-Ray, it just has some big technical limitations that shows the formats age now that we have OLED 4K displays and such, that can finally show movies close to the original source material.