Best Software to record MIDI music in computer?

I want to get into some basic composition and carry out some music related projects.

All of them will predicate on my ability to record midis by connecting my keyboard to my laptop to record music and then generate midis.

I am looking for something extremely functional and basic, where you can simply and easily record the notes. And then edit some notes after the fact. Layer more tracks in for different instruments. And then save as midi. I of course don't mind paying for software either.

Since it seems many people here do music related activities, I thought I would ask for advise here. The most important thing I am looking for is perhaps simplicity and ease of use to start me of. I can get into more complicated stuff later on. The less steep the learning curve, the better.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I presume you don't use a Mac? If you did then Garageband would have all you need, is easy to use and comes free with the OS.

Yes, if you have a Mac then all you have to do is load up Garageband. Powerful little program! 

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I presume you don't use a Mac? If you did then Garageband would have all you need, is easy to use and comes free with the OS.

I unfortunately don't have a Mac. Does it have a Windows equivalent?

37 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is this a thread bumped from the 90´s?

Lol some of us are just catching up!

I use MAGIX Video Deluxe 15 for it. It can also be used to record music, create multiple layers transform them into WAVE files or MP3 files. But of course you need a good interface which was in my case included with my synthesizer.