Steven Spielberg Directed ‘Poltergeist,’ Says the Film’s Assistant Cameraman

Jay

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

I always thought Ellie in JP was underrated as one of those cool female characters in cinema history. Sure, she's no Ripley (no one is) but she's preatty cool.

That's right. Even Sarah in TLW, but she's more that adventure character.

Ripley is actually a bit of a bad test for women characters because not everybody gets a go against (or running from) the bloody Alien. She gets a lot of the fame by mere opposition.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Sarah is an annoying character.

You call that annoying? She's just boisterous and vivacious and not Jar Jar Bings or that black drag queen from The Fifth Element.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Yeah, Sarah is sexy but it's not really interesting as a character.

She's as realistic as Ellie, the overall film does not change that.

What does the composer have to say on this topic?

Jerry Goldsmith (Composer), says he worked exclusively with Spielberg. He said the situation was "unusual, because 99% of the time I work with the director."

Director in Name Only (DRINO)

Poltergeiest contains so many of Spielberg's stylistic tropes, it's hard to see it as anything other than his work. Interior sets lit from the outside by huge carbon arc lamps (with slits of light coming through Venetian blinds), the iconic Spielberg dolly-in, the storm in the tree and pool scenes which seems to anticipate the JP films, the 'household appliances terrorizing a suburban family' (familiar becomes alien) theme from CE3K with all of its reverse wind machine effects and etc.

Sarah Harding > Ellie Sattler

Anyway, this movie has some pretty awesome stuff in it, otherwise I'd be unfamiliar with it. For some reason, one of the coolest parts I can remember is when you see static on the TV and then Dana the older daughter is looking back. Does anyone else remember that?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

No, Jerry, that's when she gets out of the car, at the end.

E-L might be referring to the scene just after the windstorm, in the living room.

THE HOUSE IS COMING!!! THE HOUSE IS COMING!!!

On 7/18/2017 at 1:27 AM, Richard said:

Agreed.

It's a little like the cut in ROTLA, from Salah singing Gilbert and Sullivan, to the ship. It's perfect "let's move the story on, in the quickest way possible" 

Spielberg/Kahn.

Or like when you see the dead monkey and it suddenly cuts to the dig site at dawn. I always thought Williams' music there was awkwardly edited, but I guess not.