If Michael Giacchino was unavailable, who would you have score a Star Wars film?

I'd actually like to see how Don Davis would tackle a Star Wars score. His work on Jurassic Park III was actually quite good despite the lacklustre film (though obviously JW is much better at holding a medicore film up with music). And his work on the Matrix scores, which were a little unconventional at the time, still stand up for me as some of the best non-Williams work in the last twenty years.

Howard Shore is also a decent choice but I'd hope he'd do it a little less choral than his LOTR scores.

Gorby Haab... he's a good composer and all, but I think he should, for the moment, stick to doing the games.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

I'd actually like to see how Don Davis would tackle a Star Wars score. His work on Jurassic Park III was actually quite good despite the lacklustre film (though obviously JW is much better at holding a medicore film up with music). And his work on the Matrix scores, which were a little unconventional at the time, still stand up for me as some of the best non-Williams work in the last twenty years.

I forgot Don Davis! Taking him into consideration I would choose him.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:04 AM, Gistech said:

I'd actually like to see how Don Davis would tackle a Star Wars score. His work on Jurassic Park III was actually quite good despite the lacklustre film (though obviously JW is much better at holding a medicore film up with music).

Well, the film was pure shit and the first time I nearly walked out.

Anyway, a lot of us here like Davis (and our dearly departed James Horner did too) and yes, his JP score is good. Kicks the shit out of Giacchino's, but that's not saying much.

Getting worried that Gia will get the Han Solo film. 

I know Howard hasn't worked with him before but it might be dictated from Lucasfilm and Gia is seen as a safe pair of hands. 

Seriously worried guys. Two Gia Star Wars scored in 18 months is terrifying. 

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It won't be Gia. It will be Zimmer.

Worked with Howard on the Langdon trilogy, Frost/Nixon and on Rush, and he would have worked on In The Heart Of The Sea if he had been available.

Zimmer and Star Wars: it is happening, people. Better get used to that idea.

If it means less Gia? I'm ok with it. 

Angels and Demons Zimmer rather than what he's at these days. 

Maybe even Gladiator Zimmer if he's still around! 

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Getting worried that Gia will get the Han Solo film. 

I know Howard hasn't worked with him before but it might be dictated from Lucasfilm and Gia is seen as a safe pair of hands. 

Seriously worried guys. Two Gia Star Wars scored in 18 months is terrifying. 

DON'T BE MEAN ABOUT GIACCHINO

Oh, things got better here for a while on the Zimmer front, in no small part thanks to me.  But lately there are some very vocal specimens who have dragged us down a bit, likely out of spite for their own frustrations with the Giacchino dislike. 

Giacchino would actually be LAST on my list, and just above him would be Desplat. 

If you'd want Williams pastiche, I would go to the people who do that well, like Joel McNeely or John Debney. Alan Silvestri, JNH, David Arnold etc. would be good too. George Fenton would be cool.

However, I would really like to see something completely different. Goldenthal would be awesome. Max Richter. Korzeniowski. Or something electronic (would also require a different filmatic approach).

A Richter SW? Nah. That guy hasn't been properly inspired in a long time.

Now Goldenthal? Sign me up! 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

DON'T BE MEAN ABOUT GIACCHINO

Maybe I shouldn't. 

He is a musical genius becusd RO used the same scale as the original Star Wars after all!

30 minutes ago, KK said:

A Richter SW? Nah. That guy hasn't been properly inspired in a long time.

Are you kidding me? The last season of THE LEFTOVERS was some of the best things he's ever done.

21 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Silvestri good at Williams pastiche? wut

No, he's not really good at Williams pastiche (hence the period, not the comma -- as Disco Stu pointed out), but he's good at the kind of neo-classical stylings that a STAR WARS score would require, should they go for the more traditional route.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Are you kidding me? The last season of THE LEFTOVERS was some of the best things he's ever done.

Didn't he just write one cue? And it wasn't anything particularly remarkable for him either.

I did like S1 stuff, even though most of it was a variation of Memoryhouse material.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Didn't he just write one cue? And it wasn't anything particularly remarkable for him either.

I did like S1 stuff, even though most of it was a variation of Memoryhouse material.

No, I think he wrote more than one cue. But I'm not an expert. Perhaps they just tracked music from the previous seasons. Regardless, I'm in love with his LEFTOVERS music.

As am I. The music was such a crucial part of the series. But he never really wrote much new material after the first season. It was mostly just tracked music and minimal variations of the Departure theme (which itself is a variation of "The Twins" from Memoryhouse).

48 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Maybe I shouldn't. 

He is a musical genius becusd RO used the same scale as the original Star Wars after all!

Yes!

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes!

And that stuff in Homecoming where that theme he pinched manages to have similarities with the intervals from Silvestri's Avengers Theme or something!

Give that man the $10,000!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

No, he's not really good at Williams pastiche (hence the period, not the comma -- as Disco Stu pointed out), but he's good at the kind of neo-classical stylings that a STAR WARS score would require, should they go for the more traditional route.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There was a period, not a comma, between Debney and Silvestri in his post.

My bad! Apologies.