If Michael Giacchino was unavailable, who would you have score a Star Wars film?

So if both John Williams and Michael Giacchino were off the table for scoring ANY of the upcoming Star Wars films, who would you want to score one of the films, whether it's a spin-off or episode 9? There are no wrong answers (unless you say Hans Zimmer).

Personally I might go for James Newton Howard. Not modern JNH, but late 90's/early 2000's JNH if he was able to tap into that spirit again.

Even if Giacchino were on the table, here are the most worthy/interesting options:

Alexandre Desplat

John Powell

Austin Wintory 

James Newton Howard - only if he were going to be really committed, and not have his hands tied

Hans Zimmer - only if he were going to be really committed, and stick to a relatively straightforward symphonic model, unless it's for a spinoff that would require a different sound

I hate to be so nastily opinionated about it, but I firmly believe the likes of Giacchino and Haab need to be kept away from Star Wars henceforth unless we want the musical culture of the franchise to stagnate in mediocrity.

If Don Davis weren't completely impossible, he'd be a great choice.  And while Shore is an interesting idea, I don't see it being something that he'd have a lot of passion for (given how The Hobbit stuff all played out), but I could be wrong.

23 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I hate to be so nastily opinionated about it, but I firmly believe the likes of Giacchino and Haab need to be kept away from Star Wars henceforth unless we want the musical culture of the franchise to stagnate in mediocrity.

Haab is actually a great composed, especially considering he's very new to composing music commercially. If you're referring to the fact that he re-uses a lot of John's music in Battlefront, that's because he's asked to, not because he wants to. I'm sure his music would sound quite different if he were scoring music to a motion picture.

Yes, Shore seems to be either taking a temporary break or has retired completely from Hollywood film scoring.  And who can blame him?  He's more than earned that.

I swear I've answered this before but I'll say it again.  I think McCreary is ready and I'd be very interested to see what he would do with such an opportunity.

Wintory would be amazing for a SW flick. He'd probably master Williams' vocabulary well enough while strongly pushing for his own colours and voice in the existing SW soundscape.

Edward Shearmur would also do a really solid job.

Of all the current names off the top of my head, Wintory seems most capable of channeling Williams' jazzy harmonies/voicings and crafting with them with confidence.

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Kalaisan Kalaichelvan

Heard this guy is kinda crazy...

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"I've got just the industrial squelching sound that would be PERFECT to represent Lando!"

"Give me Why So Serious from The Dark Knight, and I'll think I'll do sorta funky remix of it, as Lando's theme".

Star Wars is not Star Wars without John Williams. When he dies, Star Wars dies. I'm looking forward to two further Star Wars films, but we all know he won't do another Star Wars trilogy. So that's it for me. As good as any other composer can get, he's not John Williams.

Ilaiyaraaja.

IlIaiyaraaja's compositions are like part of nature,

Like a flower, like a beehive, or a child born.

And if you talk about quantity, the musical stamina,

Then if JW has scored 10 points then Ilaiyaraaja has scored 2000 points.

JOHN WILLIAMS IS SOPHISTICATED SUB SUB SUBSET OF ILLAIYARAAJA.

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

Ilaiyaraaja.

IlIaiyaraaja's compositions are like part of nature,

Like a flower, like a beehive, or a child born.

And if you talk about quantity, the musical stamina,

Then if JW has scored 10 points then Ilaiyaraaja has scored 2000 points.

JOHN WILLIAMS IS SOPHISTICATED SUB SUB SUBSET OF ILLAIYARAAJA.

I bet Ilaiyaraaja is associated with Time Cube.

15 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Will they ever make a more cerebral SW film with a stronger science fiction stand? Or will it just be cookie cutter action blockbusters?

Isn't that a Star Trek thing?

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So that's it for me. As good as any other composer can get, he's not John Williams.

Difficult to argue with that bit! :P