John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

I see a lot of ET criticism, but even if you don't like the more sugary bits, that 6 minute opening remains stunning. It's my favorite bit from the score

Sometimes Williams' "funny music" falls totally flat. Examples are Aunt Marge's Waltz (which I can't stand), Gilderoy Lockhart, No Ticket from TLC, the very opening of Tintin etc... I particularly can't stand that style where the strings and wind play a quirky melody in unison. I can't stop visualising the conductor performing contortions on the podium as he cues in different sections in the orchestra whilst raising his eyebrows and making stupid faces. However, there are still plenty of "funny" tracks which I adore, for instance, a large portion of 1941, Indy's Very First Adventure, Stalling Around etc. It's a very hit and miss region for me within Williams' oeuvre.

Best track from Schindler's List is Auschwitz-Birkenau. The Schindler's List Theme, albeit a beautiful piece, sounds to me like the theme to the wrong movie; A-B is closer to what I would have imagined. 

49 minutes ago, Romão said:

I see a lot of ET criticism, but even if you don't like the more sugary bits, that 6 minute opening remains stunning. It's my favorite bit from the score

Very very almost, but that arrangement, performance and [Botnick] recording, as they pass the moon on a Halloween night, is for me, the defining musical moment of the entire Williams oeuvre. It's magic.

I don't revere Hook like others do. The concert suite is great as is the third act battle music but I never had a desire to listen to the whole score from start to finish. It probably would appear just outside my top 20 JW scores.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:
1 hour ago, Alex said:

TLW is better than JP

At least around here, this is not an unpopular opinion.

But only since december 2016.

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Sometimes Williams' "funny music" falls totally flat. Examples are Aunt Marge's Waltz (which I can't stand), Gilderoy Lockhart, No Ticket from TLC, the very opening of Tintin etc... I particularly can't stand that style where the strings and wind play a quirky melody in unison. I can't stop visualising the conductor performing contortions on the podium as he cues in different sections in the orchestra whilst raising his eyebrows and making stupid faces. However, there are still plenty of "funny" tracks which I adore, for instance, a large portion of 1941, Indy's Very First Adventure, Stalling Around etc. It's a very hit and miss region for me within Williams' oeuvre.

John Williams' funny music is... well... funny, but it is always in the form of a classic scherzo and not as intellectual and creative as Jerry Goldsmith's satirical scores, that sometimes force me to laugh aloud ("Home Delivery").

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Some of mine:

- Apart from the flying theme, the ET score is dire

- Far and Away is one of his best scores

- TLW is better than JP

Wrong, wrong and completely right.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

SCHINDLER'S WORKFORCE is 11 minutes of quiet, unassuming brilliance.

It love it too but I can't help but think that that sequence was tracked with Exodus by Kilar and Williams composed something very similar to it, specially in the manner of repeating phrases and a constant beat.

--

My contribution is - Williams a lot of time disguises his weak themes in extremely fancy orchestration to make them sound much more impressive and accomplished than they actually are. Even some of his basic ok themes get such ornate concert suites that it artificially inflates them in your estimation but if you look closer you see that there isn't much there. 

This is double edged... This same thing can also be perceived of as praise.

4 hours ago, Loert said:

Sometimes Williams' "funny music" falls totally flat. Examples are Aunt Marge's Waltz (which I can't stand), Gilderoy Lockhart, No Ticket from TLC, the very opening of Tintin etc...

I've never cared much for Lockhart/No Ticket either. Disagree on the other two.

It isn't as great as people make it out to be. There's a bunch of music I would gladly skip, even in the Anthology presentation. Star Wars was a perfectly spotted film. It isn't over-scored and is ultimately better than the sequel scores.

I'm also not a big fan of Williams' choral stuff in most of his scores. "Where Dreams Are Born" is one track I normally skip in A.I.

"Anakin's Betrayal" is an overrated track that features choral work I think I've heard Horner do better elsewhere.

The best cue from ROTJ is "The Emperor's Death".

Yub Nub was actually a reasonably good finale (accepting that the movie contained Ewoks, and it was not in JW's power to change this sad fact).

TPM, as originally intended, is overall a far better score than ROTJ. Not a small achievement, considering that he had to score Jar-Jar and child Anakin.

Rey's theme is the weakest theme for a major character in the whole Star Wars saga. It's very strange to me that many people rank it as one of JW's best themes.

I don't like the score to Jaws. And I like the score to Jaws II even less.

I cannot stand Home Alone (maybe it's the movie's fault).

I don't find anything interesting nor particularly good in Lincoln.

Auschwitz-Birkenau is the most interesting cue from Schindler's List (but this has been said by a number of others as well - is it still "unpopular"?). The fact that there was only one cue in this Bartokian flavour is my only disappointment with that score, which is a great one anyway.

... in all the rest, JW is a perfect being :)

Never understood why no one seems to like 'The Book Thief', it's a pretty good score to me and way better than Lincoln in my opinion...

Really shouldn't take a dedicated thread to air these opinions.

My 'unpopular' opinions are out there already. I find most of his 70s/early 80s stuff fairly unengaging, same with most of his recent historical dramas. Can't stand most of Star Wars. He was the wrong composer for a number of SS movies.

And I think textural/ambient music is definitely his weak point. I don't see how that should be considered an 'unpopular opinion' though. Every composer has their weak points.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Really shouldn't take a dedicated thread to air these opinions.

My 'unpopular' opinions are out there already. I find most of his 70s/early 80s stuff fairly unengaging, same with most of his recent historical dramas. Can't stand most of Star Wars. He was the wrong composer for a number of SS movies.

And I think textural/ambient music is definitely his weak point. I don't see how that should be considered an 'unpopular opinion' though. Every composer has their weak points.

So what John Williams scores do you like?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its a brilliant score, but Williams did drop the ball on a few bits. I can really see why some of the score was replaced by tracked music.

Now THERE'S an unpopular opinion!

He was scoring a silly popcorn space movie for children with a guy in a gorilla suit. I think we expect too much of him.

The poor guy didn't know what hit him when SW became a worldwide phenomenon. 

Btw, has anybody heard the story about Williams thinking that Star Wars was just going to be a Saturday matinee showing for kids and that it would disappear in a couple of weeks?!

I agree with the opinion that the main melody in Rey's Theme is pretty weak, but the track in its entirety is superb.

It backs up the idea that Williams, thinking he hasn't invented a memorable melody, surrounds it with superbly ornate and gorgeously orchestrated music to hide any such weakness.

The irony is the shorter motifs surrounding the primary melody are all more memorable and catchy than the first 6 notes of the theme. 

The first half of the melody is the track's only weakness IMHO. I can understand why it didn't leave much of an impression on viewers after seeing the film, considering its fragmented nature. Especially when it just blends together with so many random notes during modern-Williams action tracks like Ways of the Force (where it's almost hidden for anyone not familiar with the score).

I find the first statement of the melody a bit too buried in the orchestration both in film (The Scavenger) and in its concert suite, probably by design. But I wish the mixing of the main melody was more prominent in the concert suite, it's too "ambient" for my liking.

Generally it reminds me of his development of Leia's Theme in ANH, except that theme is instantly striking. Its first statement on French horn is also instantly recognisable, and not competing with ornate orchestration.

The only thing I've never really clicked with about Rey's theme is the nasally production of those opening notes of her melody. Always seemed like an odd choice, texturally, to have them so clumped together and muffled in the lower register. Williams is normally big on clarity and clear 'textural definition' in everything he produces, so I'm not sure what happened there.