John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

On 7/18/2018 at 5:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

It’s baked into modern cinephilia to prefer films with cynical, cold, sophisticated points of view.  The only worthy emotions are world-weariness or anger.  But best is to attempt to remove emotion completely as much as is possible.  To be optimistic or warm is to expose oneself as an artless rube.

Emotion only works as intellectual concept, explained in monotone by stone-faced white men.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

It’s baked into modern cinephilia to prefer films with cynical, cold, sophisticated points of view.  The only worthy emotions are world-weariness or anger.  But best is to attempt to remove emotion completely as much as is possible.  To be optimistic or warm is to expose oneself as an artless rube.

That's complete rubbish! Surely, there are people that think like that, but that is as arrogant and one-dimensional as the exact opposite. There is an endless fight between artsy-fartsy and just-entertainment fanatics and I hate them both, as they're both shackled to their genres due to their narrow-mindedness. So what you wrote is basically right and no rubbish at all, but don't assume that I'm one of these idiots, just because I suggested to take the score out of Bridge of Spies.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

I do find Spielberg's "emotional warmth" really refreshing in today's film climate where everybody wants to be the next Fincher, Scorsese, or Tarantino (and I believe that film music has suffered as a result of this trend)

By the way, Scorsese and Tarantino are pretty bad examples, since their movies are in fact very emotional. Their films often tend to disturb the viewer so that he is having a hard time connecting with the characters, but once you've found the emotional access (rewatching the films a couple of times!) it can get very touching and involving. In the case of these two directors the effect is even more constant than in the case of Spielberg, since their films are depicted more naturally. Nothing against Spielberg (War Horse has indeed a refreshing warmth that is rarely seen among contemporary movies), but his cream pie is occasionally too sweet.

My unpopular opinion is that I simply can't understand what people love so much about the TFA score. Apart from the dazzling new themes and "The Jedi Steps and Finale," most of the score is mostly boring string underscore with no personality and not much melody. There are no great one-off pieces that are mostly new and interesting material, as in TLJ's "The Fathiers" or, of course, ESB's "The Asteroid Field." In contrast, although TLJ's themes appear far less frequently throughout the score, there are just as many new themes and also interesting material that isn't based solely on themes. Passages like the tragic end of "Main Title and Escape" and "The Supremacy" are head and shoulders above most of TFA. TFA is actually my least favorite of any Star Wars score, not just JW SW scores. Now I still love the new themes, and "March of the Resistance" is one of my very favorite SW themes ever, but the score itself is something I don't really love at all.

Star Wars has always, always left me cold. I love me some good action music and all, but outside the admittedly lovely Leia theme and the catchy sandcrawler music in the original, I never find any depth or real emotion to tie the scores together. Empire Strikes Back has some incredible action riffs and of course Imperial March, but other than that it's all a bunch of aimless noise. Did Return of the Jedi even have a score? 

Of all the major John Williams musical franchises, Star Wars has always been the least captivating to me.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Star Wars has always, always left me cold. I love me some good action music and all, but outside the admittedly lovely Leia theme and the catchy sandcrawler music in the original, I never find any depth or real emotion

You like the sandcrawler music, but your complaint is the score doesn't have "real" emotion? 

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

but other than that it's all a bunch of aimless noise

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Did Return of the Jedi even have a score? 

It did, actually. It had the best one, in point of fact. ;)

I'm ribbing on you a little, but the scores to Star Wars were what got me into music. It was the music I liked before I liked music, you can say. Tracks like the ones posted above were pieces of music that I would listen to as I would look out my bedroom window at night, to see the starry skies, wondering what kind of adventures I would get into when I grew older, hoping they'd be a fraction as exciting as the adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia.

The best Star Wars music still taps into this feeling, nostalgia notwithstanding.

I can see it just fine. 😕 

Anyway, I've no desire to debate the merits of Star Wars music. It just never connected with me, Powell's Solo aside. Jaws, E.T and Jurassic Park are how I got into the John Williams library, while Star Wars is...just there, at the very back. On the bottom shelf. 

4 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

You alright, Kasey?  Avatar looks dark.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I can see it just fine. 😕 

Anyway, I've no desire to debate the merits of Star Wars music. It just never connected with me, Powell's Solo aside. Jaws, E.T and Jurassic Park are how I got into the John Williams library, while Star Wars is...just there, at the very back. On the bottom shelf. 

I can see it fine ,too!   Its creeping me out!

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Luke's Exile Theme sounds more like a rap beat than a Star Wars theme

Your name sounds more like an ass-beat rapper than a JWFan!

Now for an unpopular opinion: I think Rathtars! is metal.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Luke's Exile Theme sounds more like a rap beat than a Star Wars theme

The melodic contour does remind me of the sample from the Mad Men theme.

This is probably an unpopular opinion...  I don't like the new arrangements of Han Solo & The Princess or Stargazers.  Neither is as good as the original.  Both "E.T. & Me" and Gerhardt's arrangement of Han Solo & The Princess were absolute perfection.

Saving Private Ryan isn't one of John's best scores. Its not even in his top 15.

22 hours ago, MrScratch said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion...  I don't like the new arrangements of Han Solo & The Princess or Stargazers.  Neither is as good as the original.  Both "E.T. & Me" and Gerhardt's arrangement of Han Solo & The Princess were absolute perfection.

There is not such a thing as a Gerhardt's arrangement! The old "Han Solo & The Princess" piece was completely written by Williams, as all of his concert works.

And yes, it was significantly better than the new arrangement. 

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Both are great.

This seems to be the most popular opinion, but this thread is about unpopular opinions...

34 minutes ago, Score said:

This seems to be the most popular opinion, but this thread is about unpopular opinions...

Which can be rebutted here, too.

6 hours ago, Score said:

There is not such a thing as a Gerhardt's arrangement! The old "Han Solo & The Princess" piece was completely written by Williams, as all of his concert works.

I know. I was trying to be facetious.

9 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

"Ways of the Force" is one of the great Williams action cues.  I like it better than any of the prequel duel cues (yes, including that one.  Especially that one actually.  I'm not a fan of that one)

Mah bruddah!

15 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

"Ways of the Force" is one of the great Williams action cues.  I like it better than any of the prequel duel cues (yes, including that one.  Especially that one actually.  I'm not a fan of that one)

I had a roommate, a musician who seldom listened to orchestral music, who often made fun of my love for John Williams...but when we watched The Force Awakens in theaters, this cue certainly perked his ears up! 

First time I heard him compliment John Williams. 

Also, what will it take for people to realize that Wade's Death is one of John Williams' best cues ever!?

10 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the abbreviated Scherzo as heard in the film.  

There are some cool little orchestrational flairs in the film track, but man Williams has been on his game with the album edits for these newer Star Wars scores.

Would be interesting to hear his intended version of The Force Awakens, though, checking out the track linksd above, I didn't realize how much tracked music there was!

37 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Adventures of Han > the entirety of TLJ

A bold one indeed.

Perhaps I might tweak that the Adventures of Han is the type of Williams work we would have liked for TLJ, but TLJ was still pretty good.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Adventures of Han > the entirety of TLJ

Said no one ever. John Williams composing with dementia.