John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

On 8/17/2018 at 10:26 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

The Adventures of Han > the entirety of TLJ

Pearls for the pigs. And I love The Adventures of Han. Fucking ear worm of this summer. 

On 8/18/2018 at 12:09 AM, JoeinAR said:

Said no one ever. John Williams composing with dementia.

Nope. But sad posting with dementia. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:26 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

The Adventures of Han > the entirety of TLJ

I will have agreed had it not been for the use of Luke and Leia's theme in the former. Its unreal how effective it is.

53 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I will have agreed had it not been for the use of Luke and Leia's theme in the former. Its unreal how effective it is.

You mean the latter, I presume?

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Oppressive is the word your are looking for. 

Brilliant stuff.

And just the feeling JW was going for (taunting, berating, bullying...). Yes, brilliant stuff indeed.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, Nick Parker said:

Unpouplar Opinion: the Concord Indy box set was a good release that just had some problems, nothing crippling.

I think if the Indy box were being done now it would turn out differently. Concord tried the same thing the LotR rarities did - trying one product in two markets, when we've now seen that going down the JP route works well - two products for two markets. Plus JW trusts MM whereas it seems LB was on an uphill battle with every cue beyond the OSTs for Indy.

If there was only two categories - good or bad - the Concord Indy box is certainly a good release.  It brought us a ton of music we didn't have before, and generally sounds good.

It's full of problems and mistakes and none of the scores are complete, but as far as products aimed at the mass market go, it could have been a lot worse.

Obviously, if Disney Records ever hires MM to re-do each of these scores, we'd end up with new products that outclass the 2008 versions in every way, but the 2008 set was fine for it's time.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

You either like When You're Alone or you're a cynical jackass who needs a kick in the teeth. 

No in-between or alternatives. Sorry, kids. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them! 

8 hours ago, Richard said:

In that case, I'm a cynical jackass, who needs a kick in the teeth.

Bring.   It.   On.

No teeth jokes on this forum! It's against the forum rules!

Temple of Doom's album is pretty much perfect, but I'm happy to have thrown in a few cues from the expanded set anyway just to add more icing on an already tantalizing ice cream sundae. 57 minutes is magic for my ears, I don't need to hear more. 

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

By and large, i still feel very satisfied that i have this box since ten years (and for a great price, too) and never would exchange that for a 10+ yer wait just to have a few minor grievances fixed.

That's what Spotify is for!

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love TLW, part of me finds a bit of a missed opportunity in Williams not trying to express its theme more often. That is to say, it not appearing much beyond "To the Island" and "Heading North". 

I think Williams was going for a bookend of sorts. Play the theme when they're entering the island, and later when they're leaving it. But, now I can kinda understand why Spielberg tracked "The Lost World" all over the film. 

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm aware I'm outnumbered and the odds of survival are against me, so I choose not to answer sincerely.

Sev, Sev, my good friend! We're JWFans, all of us! All of us united by a singular love and purpose. Nothing you could do will banish you from our community, nothing you could do can tear us apart...

...Except, keeping secrets from us. Especially filthy, dirty, shameful secrets...if you need be cleansed, then please, with no fear, no hesitation, lay bare your true thoughts and feelings.

Fallen Kingdom is my favorite score of the series after TLW, and the main theme of which is my favorite of said series after the original (or originalS, as I refer to both the adventure theme and the whole brachiosaurus theme that's also classified as "Theme from Jurassic Park" or whatever). 

Related image

On 10/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, Brundlefly said:

I don't understand it. No tracking is better than the originally intended cue in this film. I like the consequence of that score.

Nah, there are some bits where SS got it right. The Hunt and the helicopter rescue. Especially in the latter, it focuses too much on the raptor theme when at this point we're celebrating our heroes being rescued. It needed the TLW theme.

I'd say that in TLW and The Terminal I support most, if not all, of SS's tracking. Certainly everything in HP:PS. The tracking in T-Tex Rescue is creatively brilliant (the edit itself is reasonable).