John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Also, you know how under my name it says regular poster? Can I change that or do I need a status level up?

Once your post count reaches 1000, you can edit the title under your username.

19 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'll have you know that I received no pay, and I was never asked if I wanted to share some milk. Now people are hating on me because my digestive system doesn't allow me to produce blue milk. TLJ was a hack for me.

@Jurassic Shark something wrong?

No pay? You should join a union.

• 3 weeks later...

Not my viewpoint, but I get the impression grandfather finds Williams scores more compelling when he's NOT working with Spielberg. I once asked him his top 5 Williams scores, and none of them were the Williams-Spielberg works. 

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Prisoner of Azkaban should have been released in the Winter of 2004 as opposed to the Summer.

It was released in Winter where I live. It was very appropriate, I remember seeing it on a very gloomy day and listening to the OST over and over again while it rained outside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. I don't really care about most of Williams's music even if most of it is good, it isn't good/interesting/compelling enough to make me want to listen to again or add it to my playlist(s). Only about say the best 20% or so of it is really worthwhile.

2. Williams isn't even my favourite living film composer - I probably prefer Elliot Goldenthal and Thomas Newman over him, at least Newman over Williams. Williams wouldn't make my top 4 film composers of all time either.

Top 4 film composers of all time:

Bernard Herrmann

Alex North

Thomas Newman

Jerry Goldsmith

Williams would maybe come in at fifth.

Haha, but it is true. There are a fair number of Williams scores I don't care for (ok, let's be honest here, the same can be true about the composers I included in my top 4, but probably not to the same extent). I couldn't care less about things like the Home Alones, Stepmom, The Terminal, Indy 4, War Horse etc though. Had he written more scores like Close Encounters, A.I.. Memoirs of a Geisha etc then I would perhaps think differently.

22 minutes ago, Lewya said:

1. I don't really care about most of Williams's music even if most of it is good, it isn't good/interesting/compelling enough to make me want to listen to again or add it to my playlist(s). Only about say the best 20% or so of it is really worthwhile.

2. Williams isn't even my favourite living film composer - I probably prefer Elliot Goldenthal and Thomas Newman over him, at least Newman over Williams. Williams wouldn't make my top 4 film composers of all time either.

Top 4 film composers of all time:

Bernard Herrmann

Alex North

Thomas Newman

Jerry Goldsmith

Williams would maybe come in at fifth.

I cannot understand what it is so great to realise that JW is not so good as the others( quite mediocre really) many have to reveal here? Go to theirs site and never come back. Take TGP and sharky with you!!!!

Unpopular Opinion:

The Book Thief  might be Williams' best score of the 2010s.

Unpopular Opinion #2

JW Fan should be a place where all film composers are celebrated and discussed.  Except for Junkie XL.   

19 minutes ago, hornist said:

I cannot understand what it is so great to realise that JW is not so good as the others( quite mediocre really) many have to reveal here? Go to theirs site and never come back. Take TGP and sharky with you!!!!

On the Finlandia again?

1 hour ago, hornist said:

You are downright pathetic sometimes.

7 hours ago, TGP said:

You are downright pathetic sometimes.

Yes. I lost my temper in other thread because of the ridiculous tickect prices for RAH and it spread here.

But you must see the irony of this thread.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Prisoner Of Azkaban is the only great Potter score. Sorcerer’s Stone is nigh on unlistenable in its overbearing panache. 

Have you ever seen SS performed live with the orchestra mr. Savalas?

On 17/02/2018 at 8:01 PM, Stefancos said:

Jerry Goldsmith was slightly better.

On 17/02/2018 at 10:36 PM, Richard said:

I agree. JW is a master at wringing out just about every emotion from a scene, but JG's is deeper, "spiritually".

THE FINAL CONFLICT, POLTERGEIST, and STAR TREK: TMP, and V have a spirituality that matches the best of Rozsa.

If anything, JW is the flip side of that (SLEEPERS).

Actually, what Stefan really meant was that he's nutted more often to Star Trek and Rambo than he has to anything else.

9 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Unpopular Opinion #2

JW Fan should be a place where all film composers are celebrated and discussed.  

I agree with this. At his all but retired stage of life, John Williams shouldn't even be the site's figurehead any longer. I believe one of the reasons JWFan has began a slow agonising death is because it refuses to let go of the glory years and seize the opportunity to progress to the next phase of online community fandom. Broadening its horizons could have seen JWFan grow into a vibrant forum for all things film and its music, but instead it chooses to flounder and fade into eventual irrelevance.

25 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I agree with this. At his all but retired stage of life, John Williams shouldn't even be the site's figurehead any longer. I believe one of the reasons JWFan has began a slow agonising death is because it refuses to let go of the glory years and seize the opportunity to progress to the next phase of online community fandom. Broadening its horizons could have seen JWFan grow into a vibrant forum for all things film and its music, but instead it chooses to flounder and fade into eventual irrelevance.

I don't see why a site cannot continue to be dedicated to a specific composer when he stops composing.

37 minutes ago, publicist said:

Nah, a good figurehead is essential.

Essential to JWFan's demise. We've been on a skeleton staff already for a couple of years now. Eventually there will just be that guy who checks on the boiler and keeps the place ticking over for posterity's sake. Stefan.

Lol you thought I was going to say Jason or Ricard!

A false theory, methinks, the demise of film music communities has as much to do with the rise of Facebook and the changing of internet habits in general, certainly more than the board name. At least i fail to see what would change here if you would take off the JW moniker. an onslaught of brilliant, constructive posts, in-depth, thought-provoking etc.?

The recent SW surge shows where this would be headed: more anal idiots, nitpicking robot names.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's great, @Sharky, and I like both film and score, but...I'm not sure what it has to do with the thread, unless you really did masturbate to it, in which case..ew!

Indeed. At least he didn't defile JWs music. :D