How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

56 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Hypersleep', for instance. Absolutely essential.

True - I'd already forgotten that this was painfully missing on the original album. One of the most identifiable moments from the score, and one of the few obvious ones (to a non-score listener, I would assume), aside from The Landing, that were actually used in the film.

On ‎25‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 4:40 PM, Josh500 said:

Which JG must-haves are still missing from my collection? I have my eye on Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, Capricorn One, and Gremlins.

Any other recommendations? Also how many do you own?

Alien 2 CD
Basic Instinct
Basic Instinct 2 CD
Capricorn One
Caprocorn One OST
Chinatown
Chinatown LE
First Knight 2 CD
L.A. Confidential
Star Trek The Motion Picture
Star Trek The Motion Picture 3 CD
Star Trek V 2 CD
Star Trek First Contact
Star Trek First Contact LE
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek Insurrection LE
Star Trek Nemesis
Star Trek Nemesis 2 CD
The Blue Max 2 CD
The Ghost and The Darkness 2 CD
The Mummy
The Russia House
The Shadow 2 CD
The Wind and the Lion 2 CD
Total Recall 2 CD

So 37 if I counted correctly. Plus several Start Trek TV CDs where he provided main themes.
And my personal favoutite JG score is The Russia House. So it is highly recommended - closely followed by ST Insurrection and ST First Contact.

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Alien is furthermore one of the least redundant scores! There are some special editions you should have even if you're no completist.

Great point!

I'm desperately trying to find The Russia House on CD. I know the score, which is definitely a JG masterpiece. That's not been expanded, though, right?

It just occurred to me.... A very little known Jerry Goldsmith gem that nobody ever mentions is Malice. The title track alone is worth the price of the CD. Wonderful and unforgettable little piece.

Check this out: 

2 hours ago, gps said:

Alien 2 CD
Basic Instinct
Basic Instinct 2 CD
Capricorn One
Caprocorn One OST
Chinatown
Chinatown LE
First Knight 2 CD
L.A. Confidential
Star Trek The Motion Picture 3 CD
Star Trek V 2 CD
Star Trek First Contact
Star Trek First Contact LE
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek Insurrection LE
Star Trek Nemesis
Star Trek Nemesis 2 CD
The Blue Max 2 CD
The Ghost and The Darkness 2 CD
The Mummy
The Russia House
The Shadow 2 CD
The Wind and the Lion 2 CD
Total Recall 2 CD

So 37 if I counted correctly. Plus several Start Trek TV CDs where he provided main themes.
And my personal favoutite JG score is The Russia House. So it is highly recommended - closely followed by ST Insurrection and ST First Contact.

Nice collection! 

Two essentials are missing, however. Poltergeist and Rambo First Blood II.

On ‎28‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Josh500 said:

I'm desperately trying to find The Russia House on CD. I know the score, which is definitely a JG masterpiece. That's not been expanded, though, right?

Nice collection! 

Two essentials are missing, however. Poltergeist and Rambo First Blood II.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll Keep them in mind...   ;)

I got Russia House not that long ago regularly from Amazon. It's a pity it became difficult to get.

About the complete issue: not sure there. But I seem to remember reading somewhere that JG for Russia House actually wanted a shorter release, but in that case the Company overruled him. So it *might* be quite complete. If there is more music then this one really calls for the EE-Treatment!

Today I went shopping for more Goldsmith CDs.

I came back with 4 CDs, none of them Goldsmith, however: LOTR Return of the King, Only You (Rachel Portman), an old John Williams and the BPO album, and Batman OS (Danny Elfman).

Not bad, huh?

I have one last recommendation to you: Don't buy the OSTs of the following titles, cause their album presentations lack too much music or it doesn't represent the score very well (IMO):

1 Alien

2 Star Trek: The Motion Picture

3 Gremlins

4 Poltergeist II: The Other Side

5 Rambo III

6 Star Trek V: The FInal Frontier

7 Total Recall

8 The Shadow

9 The Ghost and the Darkness

Their OSTs are all insufficient, especially Gremlins and Rambo III. In the case of number 2, 4 and 7 there are expansions that are still made for a classic listening experience. All of them are worth having the complete scores of them, as they're all among Jerry's best and none of them is very redundant. However, this is up to you and depends on your fandom.

36 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I have one last recommendation to you: Don't buy the OSTs of the following titles, cause their album presentations lack too much music or it doesn't represent the score very well (IMO):

1 Alien

3 Gremlins

5 Rambo III

7 Total Recall

8 The Shadow

Their OSTs are all insufficient, especially Gremlins and Rambo III. In the case of number 2, 4 and 7 there are expansions that are still made for a classic listening experience. All of them are worth having the complete scores of them, as they're all among Jerry's best and none of them is very redundant. However, this is up to you and depends on your fandom.

I wouldn't listen to Brundlefly regarding Alien and STTMP. They have great OSTs and Alien in particular is a more interesting listening experience than the C&C.

Completely disagree with you 100%

The Intrada Alien and LLL Star Trek TMP are essential purchases - and both include the full OST program anyway.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

1 Alien

3 Gremlins

5 Rambo III

7 Total Recall

8 The Shadow

Thanks for the advice!

You say the OSTs are all insufficient. Well, that stands to reason. The OSTs don't contain as much music as the Expanded Versions, by definition. 

Still, I like OSTs. They have their own unique value. It's what the public got to see and hear first, it's what the composer released first, to present us their music, trimming down the whole score for a concert like suite....

On your list, I already own 1, 2, 7, and 9. I will get the Alien expanded album as well. Of the others I'm not so sure. I'm rather content with my Total Recall and Ghost in the Darkness OST albums. Even if I got the expanded versions, it would mostly be for the sake of adding to my collection, and I kinda doubt I would listen to these very often....

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Thanks for the advice!

You say the OSTs are all insufficient. Well, that stands to reason. The OSTs don't contain as much music as the Expanded Versions, by definition. 

Still, I like OSTs. They have their own unique value. It's what the public got to see and hear first, it's what the composer released first, to present us their music, trimming down the whole score for a concert like suite....

On your list, I already own 1, 2, 7, and 9. I will get the Alien expanded album as well. Of the others I'm not so sure. I'm rather content with my Total Recall and Ghost in the Darkness OST albums. Even if I got the expanded versions, it would mostly be for the sake of adding to my collection, and I kinda doubt I would listen to these very often....

To some listeners the problem is that some scores have either  a 30 minute OST or even less music or a 70 minute C&C or even more music. There is nothing in the middle like a decent 50 minute listening experience. Gremlins for example has a 15 min OST, but if you want more music you'll have to buy the complete thing. It's similar with Rambo III and The Shadow. It's either too little or too much music. So all people that are no crazy completists like me have to decide what they'd rather have. But if you say you would probably not listen to the C&C very often you know what to purchase.;)

By the way, The Ghost and the Darkness OST is totally fine in length. Nevertheless only 15% of the actual movie score were included. The OST has many re-recordings that are far lighter sounding. I was personally quite overwhelmed of the overall darker tone of the film score which I now prefer, therefore I included it on the list.

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here regularly since a year 2001 and finally decided to register. Ironically, the first composer I write about is Jerry Goldsmith ;) I'm lucky to have 206 of his albums (on CD) (and 180 by John Williams - who is my favorite artist of all time, even beat Black Sabbath, Metallica and Queen in this category. Jerry Goldsmith is almost the first :) ) I hope I can occasionally share some of my observations with you, which you find meaningful or interesting.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Completely disagree with you 100%

The Intrada Alien and LLL Star Trek TMP are essential purchases - and both include the full OST program anyway.

Yes they're included. But I still think they're better listening experiences than the complete scores.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here regularly since a year 2001 and finally decided to register. Ironically, the first composer I write about is Jerry Goldsmith ;) I'm lucky to have 206 of his albums (on CD) (and 180 by John Williams - who is my favorite artist of all time, even beat Black Sabbath, Metallica and Queen in this category. Jerry Goldsmith is almost the first :) ) I hope I can occasionally share some of my observations with you, which you find meaningful or interesting.

Welcome! :)

Well, go ahead! What are your observations? After all, you have 206 Goldsmith albums... So what are your favourites or recommendations? 

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

To some listeners the problem is that some scores have either  a 30 minute OST or even less music or a 70 minute C&C or even more music. There is nothing in the middle like a decent 50 minute listening experience. 

Well, many scores from the mid eighties onward do. I think 40-50 minutes is just fine. Poltergeist, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, etc. You got the main theme, plus a few highlights, maybe a few tracks of underscore.

If there are cues that I absolutely need to have that's not on the OST, then I get the expanded version.

But again, this applies only for non-JW composers. When it comes to JW, I usually get everything that comes out... OSTs, expanded albums, even compilations.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Welcome! :)

Well, go ahead! What are your observations? After all, you have 206 Goldsmith albums... So what are your favourites or recommendations? 

Well, tough question, because in my case the reception of music depends on the so-called disposition of the day ;) But if I should put on absolutely favorite, the list is below. This is not the most original choice, I’m aware of that, but that's not the point. Of course, that doesn't mean that I mostly listen to these albums. Favorites tend to go to my player very rarely, because I know them best. 

Basic Instinct
Chinatown
First Knight
The Ghost and The Darkness
Islands In The Stream
Legend
The Mummy
Night Crossing
The Omen
The Final Conflict: Omen III
Papillon
Poltergeist
QB VII
First Blood
Rudy
Russia House
Star Tek V: The Final Frontier
Total Recall
Under Fire

I fell in love with Goldsmith’s music in 1995, when I bought the cassette tapes of ‘First Kinight’ and ‘Congo’, and little later ‘Legend’ on CD, relased by Silva Screen. To this day it is one of my beloved scores.

His music is phenomenally beautiful to me, courageous and timeless.

47 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Well, tough question, because in my case the reception of music depends on the so-called disposition of the day ;) But if I should put on absolutely favorite, the list is below. This is not the most original choice, I’m aware of that, but that's not the point. Of course, that doesn't mean that I mostly listen to these albums. Favorites tend to go to my player very rarely, because I know them best. 

Basic Instinct
Chinatown
First Knight
The Ghost and The Darkness
Islands In The Stream
Legend
The Mummy
Night Crossing
The Omen
The Final Conflict: Omen III
Papillon
Poltergeist
QB VII
First Blood
Rudy
Russia House
Star Tek V: The Final Frontier
Total Recall
Under Fire

I fell in love with Goldsmith’s music in 1995, when I bought the cassette tapes of ‘First Kinight’ and ‘Congo’, and little later ‘Legend’ on CD, relased by Silva Screen. To this day it is one of my beloved scores.

His music is phenomenally beautiful to me, courageous and timeless.

Absolutely agree!

Well, the original thing of this list that you excluded Alien which is apparently very popular.

Oh, and you included Night Crossing and Legend.:lovethis: Such awesome hidden gems!

Night Crossing and Legend, hidden gems?

They are both discussed quite frequently on film score messageboards in my experience.

Gotta be honest, I've never even heard of the movie Legend before now. 

But listening to it now... First impression? Otherworldly!