How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

Legend is my favorite score from a fantasy movie, along with the Lord of the Rings. Goldsmith wrote an absolutely magical music, beautifully transferring listeners to another world. It’s also  a very important score to me from personal reasons – it accompanied me once in the difficult, as I felt it, moment of my life.

Alien of course I love too. I have an Intrada release, I absolutely adore it, but sometimes I go back to the Silva Screen version. I don't know what the reason is, but I like the sound of many CDs in which I got to know them, even if it is worse. For this reason, I am also happy to go back to the first edition of Night Crossing from the 80s - although the last one sounds much better and offers much more music. I have three Pappilon editions, including the newest one, and I also was very happy while listening to the Silva Screen few days ago. Yes, I’m odd, I know it  ;)

4 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Jerry Goldsmith ;) I'm lucky to have 206 of his albums (on CD) (and 180 by John Williams - 

Wow, you really must be an avid soundtrack collector! 

Care to post a pic of your soundtrack collection? 😄

49 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wow, you really must be an avid soundtrack collector! 

Care to post a pic of your soundtrack collection? 😄

Goldsmith is at the bottom right of the wall, Williams is on the second shelf from below, and on the next shelves are rock albums, mostly with heavy metal (my favorite genre, along with film music). On the left are the soundtracks by other composers. Generally speaking, I only have the CD's I want to have, but in the case of Williams and Goldsmith I try to be a completist. Well, almost all their albums are worth it  :) On the left side at the top are mostly blu-rays. The third most represented composer in my collection is James Newton Howard (82 scores).

438124db8bcf4a7emed.jpg

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

Goldsmith is at the bottom right of the wall, Williams is on the second shelf from below, and on the next shelves are rock albums, mostly with heavy metal (my favorite genre, along with film music). On the left are the soundtracks by other composers. Generally speaking, I only have the CD's I want to have, but in the case of Williams and Goldsmith I try to be a completist. Well, almost all their albums are worth it  :) On the left side at the top are mostly blu-rays. The third most represented composer in my collection is James Newton Howard (82 scores).

438124db8bcf4a7emed.jpg

Wow! Really amazing collection! :blink:

So how many CDs do you have altogether? And do you mostly collect film scores? Or other genres as well, like classical music, jazz, etc.?

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Wow! Really amazing collection! :blink:

So how many CDs do you have altogether? And do you mostly collect film scores? Or other genres as well, like classical music, jazz, etc.?

Thank you :) I have about 2600 albums, including slightly over 1500 soundtracks. The rest are mostly heavy metal, but also some rock classics. Plus a touch of classics and jazz. Probably there are still 200 or 300 albums that I would like to add to my collection. Not more. I think I'm a little picky ;)Of course, in the future it may change a bit.

By the way, I work as a music and film journalist, and sometimes I'm also interviewing composers like Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer, Jan AP Kaczmarek, Abel Korzeniowski, and my recent conversations with Howard Shore and James Newton Howard are awaiting publication. I guess I should write something about myself in another thread. ;)

I think I don't have the energy to start collecting Jerry Goldsmith at this point.... 😂 

Besides, a day has only 24 hours and I need 8 hours sleep! How am I gonna listen to 200 JG CDs, even if I do collect them?

On 1.8.2017 at 5:22 PM, Jay said:

Night Crossing and Legend, hidden gems?

They are both discussed quite frequently on film score messageboards in my experience.

Oh well, the more people appreciate these scores the better...:)

I have not counted, or updated my list in quite some time. I should do that. But at one point I had every Goldsmith and Williams cd that was officially released. Same with Elfman, Horner, and Zimmer. 

I have missed out on soooo many since I stopped crazily collecting like I used to, and that kinda put the damper. Cause now I can't catch up.

So today I went on another Jerry Goldsmith shopping spree, and I got 5 CDs!

Under Fire 

Omen 2

Malice

The Planet of the Apes 

Not Without My Daughter 

Nice haul! I spent around 35 Euros total.

26 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well I got Omen 2, Under Fire, and Not Without My Daughter for 4 Euros each! 

The other 2 were a bit more expensive.

In the light of all this talk of you buying THE EIGER SANCTION...how expensive?

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

In the light of all this talk of you buying THE EIGER SANCTION...how expensive?

Not really expensive. lol

Malice and Apes were 12 bucks each. A bargain! 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So today I went on another Jerry Goldsmith shopping spree, and I got 5 CDs!

Under Fire 

Omen 2

Malice

The Planet of the Apes 

Not Without My Daughter 

Nice haul! I spent around 35 Euros total.

Looking forward to hear from you what you think of Not Without My Daughter. You've been warned.;)

Actually the whole movie is on YouTube.

I watched it again, paying particular attention to the score. Sure, it's not Goldsmith's best work, but it's not that bad either. It's actually what you'd expect for this kind of movie.

Some of you guys like to blow things out of proportion! I know that now.

PS. Funny trivia. I love Alfred Molina! He was great when he played the villain in Raiders, and he's great playing the Muslim bogeyman terrorising the American woman! 😂 

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Sure, it's not Goldsmith's best work, but it's not that bad either.

So you like it, too? Of course it's exaggerated - Therefore the smiley. But who is Alfred Molina in Raiders?

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Dude, you act like that score is a crime against humanity. It's just a lousy Goldsmith score. He's done a couple of those.

I'm curious...

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

So you like it, too? Of course it's exaggerated - Therefore the smiley. But who is Alfred Molina in Raiders?

- Give me the whip!

- Throw me the idol! No time to argue!

That guy! :D

2:10

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

So you like it, too? Of course it's exaggerated - Therefore the smiley. 

I rather like Not Without My Daughter.

Musically that is. It's nothing special, but I like the feel of it. The comforting string music, the terrifying, nasty, and rather cruel electronic noises... Nice contrast.

It's rather interesting and also pretty listenable. 

Apart from the obvious problems the movie has, it's rather a memorable movie and score.

On 2.8.2017 at 1:11 PM, Brundlefly said:

That's quite a lot.

I've always been wondering, whether I spent too much money on my soundtrack collection... well... no:lol:

20170802_130706.jpg

There's missing a lot of Goldsmith stuff from the sixties, seventies! And where does this end? The Mummy and that's it? But at least it is all in perfect order! Except Inchon which belongs between Night Crossing and Poltergeist.

I'm still collecting, so calm down. I'm not done at all collecting the 60s and 70s.

The Jerry Goldsmith part is continued on another tiny shelf.

Inchon is a 1980 score. It was composed and recorded before every 1981 score. There are several traits of Alien and ST:TMP in the score. Concerning the musical development of the composer it is best integrated at that place. Besides itt seems the original sources of the recording habe already half rotten and dissolved when it was put on CD in 1982.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm still collecting, so calm down. I'm not done at all collecting the 60s and 70s.

The Jerry Goldsmith part is continued on another tiny shelf.

Inchon is a 1980 score. It was composed and recorded before every 1981 score. There are several traits of Alien and ST:TMP in the score. Concerning the musical development of the composer it is best integrated at that place. Besides itt seems the original sources of the recording habe already half rotten and dissolved when it was put on CD in 1982.

What kind of rapidly self destructing master tapes did they use on that?

4 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

What kind of rapidly self destructing master tapes did they use on that?

I don't know, but the sound quality is awful. Some tracks are highly distorted. Others have unpleasantly jarring strings. A re-recording would be nice.

So I'm listening to Not Without My Daughter right now (I'm really getting into it), and I gotta say I absolutely love it! Some of you guys made it sound like it's the worst garbage ever, so maybe my expectations going into it was extra low, but it's the truth!

I love it! Especially the last track Home Again features some of the best and most memorable string writings by Jerry Goldsmith (reminds me a little of the suburbia of Poltergeist!). 

To say that I'm pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! 

Did not count them, but here's pictures of them....well over 100.

2 Days in the valley - Bandolero

IMG_0837.JPG

Blue Max - The Edge

IMG_0838.JPG

Escape from the Planet of the Apes - Innerspace

IMG_0839.JPG

Jericho - Poltergeist II

IMG_0840.JPG

Poltergeist II - Wind and the Lion

IMG_0841.JPG

And here is what they look like full on.

IMG_0842.JPG