How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

Am I the only one who sells the OSTs and Expansions, when there is a Complete Score?

Now I have more Goldsmith albums (66) than Williams albums (64), which makes me think about who is my favourite composer. I have all Williams stuff I need except the Stanley and Iris Deluxe Edition, but there are still plenty of Goldsmith CDs that I need. The most of them are those unpayable ones:

Logan's Run

Coma (OOP)

Masada (OOP)

Innerspace (OOP)

Lionheart (OOP)

Leviathan (OOP)

Matinee

Chain Reaction

Mulan

The Last Castle

The Sum of All Fears (OOP)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I buy every single JW, JG, JH, MG, and DE album the specialty labels put out.

I think I have around 2,000 physical CDs

That's quite a collection.

2,000 CDs... Are these all film music? Or do you also collect other music? Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, etc.?

9 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Am I the only one who sells the OSTs and Expansions, when there is a Complete Score?

Now I have more Goldsmith albums (66) than Williams albums (64), which makes me think about who is my favourite composer. I have all Williams stuff I need except the Stanley and Iris Deluxe Edition, but there are still plenty of Goldsmith CDs that I need. The most of them are those unpayable ones:

Logan's Run

Coma

Masada

Innerspace

Lionheart

Leviathan

Matinee

Chain Reaction

Mulan

The Last Castle

The Sum of All Fears

I have never even once sold a JW album. Just feels wrong to me.

Besides, those old original soundtrack albums and CDs have an invaluable nostalgic value. I love those short (usually around 30 minutes) soundtracks from the 70s and 80s, like the OS albums of Jaws, ET, Raiders, Born on the Fourth of July, etc.

I'll keep these forever, regardless of any future complete releases.

I think I have around 1100 film music CDs and around 700 "normal" music CDs?  Something like that, I haven't counted them in ages

I have never listened to classical or jazz in my entire life, just film music and pop/rock

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I have around 1100 film music CDs and around 700 "normal" music CDs?  Something like that I haven't counted them in ages

I have never listened to classical or jazz in my entire life, just film music and pop/rock

Me, I love classical music, especially Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Chopin. I used to play the piano myself.

When you listen to classical music, you can often hear where JW gets his inspirations. He's an avid listener and admirer of all sorts of classical music, and it shows.

Besides that, I also listen to pop/rock and whatever currently tops the charts....

Someday I'll listen to some classical music, some day.... I don't even really like golden age film scores either, pretty much just Jaws -> Present

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I have never listened to pop in my entire life, just orchestral classical music, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and rock (earlier).

I listen to both pop and rock... Except sometimes I'm not sure what's the difference. 😂 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Me, I love classical music, especially Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Chopin. I used to play the piano myself.

When you listen to classical music, you can often hear where JW gets his inspirations. He's an avid listener and admirer of all sorts of classical music, and it shows.

Besides that, I also listen to pop/rock and whatever currently tops the charts....

It's less classic that he gets most of his inspiration from, but more romantic, expressionism and impressionism.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I listen to both pop and rock... Except sometimes I'm not sure what's the difference. 😂 

Well, theoretically pop is just popular music, so if rock is popular...

Just now, Jay said:

Someday I'll listen to some classical music, some day.... I don't even really like golden age film scores either, pretty much just Jaws -> Present

Bernard Hermann, Henry Manchini, and Max Steiner are my favourites from the earlier period...

Buy yeah, nothing tops Williams after Jaws. If not for Williams I probably wouldn't have gotten into film music in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's less classic that he gets most of his inspiration from, but more romantic, expressionism and impressionism.

I'm aware of the differences. I'm just using the term "classical music" in the broadest sense, from Vivaldi to Beethoven. ;)

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Who is "DE"? Deluxe Edition?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Danny Elfman.

What happens if you have a Deluxe Edition of a Danny Elfman CD?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I've never sold an OST in my life, but I have traded them with other JWfaners, usually for...ahem..."unofficial"... copies of SEs that I don't have.

22 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

As I see you always keep every release.

At this point it would be helpful to get rid of some, just for space reasons, but I don't think I could do that.

22 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Are there any releases you missed?

Most of them have had new releases during the past few years, but I'm still completely missing The Swarm, and Air Force One, Small Soldiers and Mulan are only represented as CDRs (with expanded releases of everything coming out these days, I don't see the point in seeking out the original albums).

20 hours ago, Romão said:

How deep are the shelves?

They're 20cm deep actually, which is why they're so perfect for CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays, compared to the 28cm Billys. Also, unlike Billy, they have continuous holes for placing the shelf boards, so you don't have to awkwardly make some middle rows higher or drill holes yourself. There is, or was, also a 40cm deep version. The entire series has gone out of and slightly differently back in production over the years here, changed colours etc., and might be dead again now (haven't checked recently, since I've run out of space to put new shelves anyway). But I guess that varies from country to country.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I certainly wouldn't sell this one:

14520763106_187e710e87_z.jpg

That's also missing from the photo, by the way, because it was part of a (temporarily) aborted attempt to nicely display my signed CDs, which means they're piled in a different shelf at the moment where you don't really see them at all...

Okay, I wouldn't either sell a signed CD if I had one. :crymore:

I also think of buying the OSTs, when they were a re-recording and not included on the special edition (Capricorn One).

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I keep all my CDs. 

Same here, except your regular pop and rock music. Seriously, compared to the hard to get film scores (limited or not), your run-of-the-mill pop and rock CDs somehow appear so cheap and dispensable.... 

I guess that's one of the unintended side effects of being a soundtrack collector. 

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Same here, except your regular pop and rock music. Seriously, compared to the hard to get film scores (limited or not), your run-of-the-mill pop and rock CDs somehow appear so cheap and dispensable.... 

I guess that's one of the unintended side effects of being a soundtrack collector. 

Er, I just see it as paper and plastic. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

This!

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When they're re-recs, definitely. The Capricorn One album shits on the full original score.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues. The "OST" is played better, and recorded better.

It's also a better listening experience.

It's one of the few examples where an "OST" beats an expanded/complete score.

I listen to the "OST" far more often than I do the Intrada.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

That main title sounds savage!

Yes. It's savage, desperate, dense, and urgent.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So... the Varese Sarabande OST is a re-recording and sounds much better and is better played than the Intrada Complete Original Score?

I cannot comment on the complete score, as I don't own it :(, but the "OST" is fantastic! :)

10 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So... the Varese Sarabande OST is a re-recording and sounds much better and is better played than the Intrada Complete Original Score?

Very much so

Right, Masada is another one where I still need the original album in non-CDR form.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I agree with my esteemed colleagues. The "OST" is played better, and recorded better.

It's also a better listening experience.

It's one of the few examples where an "OST" beats an expanded/complete score.

I listen to the "OST" far more often than I do the Intrada.

Damien, too.

Just realized I haven't posted my answer to the question

The Sand Pebbles (Intrada)

Papillon (Quartet)

Alien (Intrada)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (La La Land)

Poltergeist (Rhino)

The Secret of Nimh (Intrada)

Psycho II (Intrada)

Under Fire (FSM)

Legend (Silva Screen)

Hoosiers (Intrada)

Link (La La Land)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Intrada)

Dennis the Menace (La La Land)

Star Trek: First Contact (GNP Crescendo)

Star Trek: Insurrection (GNP Crescendo)

The Mummy (Decca)

Star Trek: Nemesis (Varese Sarabande) [the original OST, don't own the expansion]

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Alien (Intrada)

I recently saw the Intrada version of Alien for around 40 bucks (new, still shrink-wrapped).

I'm asking, because I already have the 10 track original soundtrack album (I downloaded it earlier this month).

Should I get the Intrada edition as well? I understand a lot of the music on it wasn't even used in the movie.... and I'm not sure yet whether I'm that much of a JG fan yet.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The Sand Pebbles (Intrada)

Papillon (Quartet)

Alien (Intrada)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (La La Land)

Poltergeist (Rhino)

The Secret of Nimh (Intrada)

Psycho II (Intrada)

Under Fire (FSM)

Legend (Silva Screen)

Hoosiers (Intrada)

Link (La La Land)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Intrada)

Dennis the Menace (La La Land)

Star Trek: First Contact (GNP Crescendo)

Star Trek: Insurrection (GNP Crescendo)

The Mummy (Decca)

Star Trek: Nemesis (Varese Sarabande) [the original OST, don't own the expansion]

Basic Instinct, Total Recall, and Rambo are must haves. Get those asap!

It's my single favorite Goldsmith score, so I would say yes it is absolutely worth owning in complete form, one of the most essential releases to come out of the specialty labels.  Along with Star Wars, I consider it one of the cornerstone film scores of all time.  And I personally think the movie is better with Goldsmith's original intentions restored.

There's something almost mysterious, haunting, and terribly awe-inspiring about the whole Alien score....

Yeah, I think I'll get it.

39 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I recently saw the Intrada version of Alien for around 40 bucks (new, still shrink-wrapped).

I'm asking, because I already have the 10 track original soundtrack album (I downloaded it earlier this month).

Should I get the Intrada edition as well? I understand a lot of the music on it wasn't even used in the movie.... and I'm not sure yet whether I'm that much of a JG fan yet.

The Intrada edition of the score is not OOP.  You can buy it directly from Intrada for $30 and support the label

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5613/.f

And yes, its well worth it; A great presentation of his music. It includes the OST on disc 2 as well.

52 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

A lot of the music on the original album wasn't used in the film. On the other hand, the film has quite a bit of material that wasn't on the album. Plus the Intrada sounds decidedly better than the original album release, as far as I recall.

Yup, I'm definitely gonna get the Intrada edition!

I thought this was limited, but it's actually not. What a pleasant surprise!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A lot of the music on the original album wasn't used in the film. On the other hand, the film has quite a bit of material that wasn't on the album. 

'Hypersleep', for instance. Absolutely essential.