John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

On 7/28/2017 at 2:46 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Han Solo and the Princess is Han's theme in ESB.

It's not.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Unlike Williams on TLJ?

Not quite. For all my gripes with the score, I don't remember too much in the way of thematic inappropriateness in that score.

From FSM:

Posted:  Dec 30, 2017 - 6:38 PM    

By:  Jeff Eldridge   (Member)

I thought JW had already written a theme for Han Solo in TESB.

Han Solo and the Princess, but that was a love theme for the relationship between Han and Leia. Until now, Han hasn't had his own theme.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=120825&forumID=1&archive=0

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Unless Powell is going to pull a Giacchino on us and use multiple themes from Williams catalogue in inappropriate ways.

Nah, he’s far more competent than Gia.

I wonder if this is the trade off for him not having to use any of the pre existing themes?

2 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

How can a theme be used inappropriately?  Leia's theme being used for Luke?

The Force Theme being used every time one of the good guys heroically takes a breath comes to mind...

2 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Well there is that very powerful statement of Leia's theme in Ben's Death from ANH. Inappropriate thematically maybe but stunningly effective if you ask me.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Force Theme being used every time one of the good guys heroically takes a breath comes to mind...

Or the heroic action statements of Yoda's theme to underscore a brief shootout just before the freezing chamber duel.

Karol

How far would they be from recording the score, if this is to make it's May release date?

Could anyone recommend some John Powell scores that would be a good primer for this? I do quite like his X-Men score, and some of Hancock. His animation scores don't grab me at all. 

39 minutes ago, publicist said:

I always thought that was Yoda's guidance/what Luke utilizes what he has learned moment.

But its also used as Lando orders an evacuation....

Which is to say nothing of the Rebel Fanfare being used as a general "triumpant" idea.

Williams has never been very strict with his use of themes, but Giacchino takes it to a whole other level....

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

But its also used as Lando orders an evacuation....

Williams has never been very strict with his use of themes, but Giacchino takes it to a whole other level....

Which themes specifically?

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Exactly. John Williams kindly offering to help with your Star Wars score, if you please, is like Steve Jobs offering to "help" with the iPod design. You only have to take his suggestions if you like them.

Riiiiiiight.

As we know, Han Solo and the Princess theme first appears when he does on that ridiculous stop motion creature. I don't recall if it was used in the film. It's his theme in ESB and ROTJ.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Unless Powell is going to pull a Giacchino on us and use multiple themes from Williams catalogue in inappropriate ways.

Did Giacchino do that multiple times? The only one that springs to mind is Luke's theme for R2 and 3PO.

Admittedly a bit odd, but does make sense when you want to press the "nostalgia button" really hard.

A quote of the ESB droid theme would have been more appropriate, but who in the audience would have caught that?

I'd consider it comparable with what sounds like Battle of the Heroes in TLJ.

Both a bit odd, but still sound pretty good.

Or am I missing something...?

3 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Using Rey's theme for Han?

Or

Using Luke And Leia over a torrid Kylo and Rey sex scene in IX?

Or

Using Hedwig's Theme for Poe's death scene in IX?

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Judging by how much of mess production was, I would not be surprised if Powell gets fired and JW ends up writing the score.

Nah, doubt it. Maybe replaced by Giacchino if they don't like his work or something but even that I doubt. Would be weird to have the second spin-off movie have the same issues as the first one did (Giacchino replacing Desplat). I'm surprised they didn't go with Giacchino in the first place, seems Disney's go to guy. 

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

As we know, Han Solo and the Princess theme first appears when he does on that ridiculous stop motion creature. I don't recall if it was used in the film.

It's in the film, when Han answers Luke's radio call when he's out on patrol.

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

As we know, Han Solo and the Princess theme first appears when he does on that ridiculous stop motion creature. I don't recall if it was used in the film. It's his theme in ESB and ROTJ.

That's just Williams jumping on the earliest possible chance to introduce the theme. Otherwise, its a theme for Leia and Han as a pair, or for their entire subplot altogether. 

It is, in no way, a theme for Han Solo. Musically, its very closely tied to the theme of the princess.

6 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The only one that springs to mind is Luke's theme for R2 and 3PO.

Admittedly a bit odd, but does make sense when you want to press the "nostalgia button" really hard.

Or am I missing something...?

I've always thought of that theme as the Star Wars theme first and foremost, and Luke's theme second. Hence it's use as the main and end titles for all the saga films.

And I love the way Gia quoted it for the droids, works beautifully. I too cannot think of any other supposed inappropriate use of themes by Gia.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Dunno, a month or two. Maybe three or four. Hard to say. It largely depends on recording studio availability. There are not many of those left.

Karol

Kathleen Kennedy is going to move mountains to keep recording in California. I'd be surprised if Solo returned to London for the recording sessions.

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The recording sessions will probably be quite late. Wasn't Howard still shooting this thing a few weeks back? He's probably knee-deep in editing trying to salvage some semblance of a movie.

They wrapped filming October 17, but the production has been editing and VFX work before Miller & Lord got the boot. Howard probably shot just enough footage to get director credit, but he will likely use most of the pre-existing footage as he sees fit.

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Wasn’t there a report that said he pretty much reshot the entire movie?

It's just as credible as the rumor that Joss Whedon reshot Justice League from scratch.

Disney would've had to push Solo back in order for Howard to do it his way. Like I said before, he likely reshot enough footage to qualify for director credit (like him replacing Michael K. Williams' character with Paul Bettany) but keeping workable footage Lord & Miller shot for expediency.

22 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Lukes theme all over th prequels...

Luke's theme, aka the Main Titles theme, is rarely, if ever, heard in the prequels outside the opening and closing credits.

The Force Theme is NOT Luke's theme.

If memory serves me well, its used quite a bit for Poe in the two sequel scores.

In the first two Star Wars films it was very specific to Luke. Return of the Jedi started using it for the whole "gang" or even the rebellion, and going forward it really did become a generically "heroic" piece of music.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, Lord Zimmer said:

Nah, doubt it. Maybe replaced by Giacchino if they don't like his work or something but even that I doubt. Would be weird to have the second spin-off movie have the same issues as the first one did (Giacchino replacing Desplat). I'm surprised they didn't go with Giacchino in the first place, seems Disney's go to guy. 

According to posters at FSM who claim to know people who know people, Williams didn’t like Rogue One’s score.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=120825&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=990#bottomp

3 hours ago, El Jefe said:

According to posters at FSM who claim to know people who know people, Williams didn’t like Rogue One’s score.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=120825&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=990#bottom

:woop:

Of course he also didn’t like Shadows Of The Empire either and quite a few people hold that as the second coming. 

Williams asked for a screening of "Rogue One" 

That seems like a very un-Williams thing to do...surely he has better things to do with his day than watch Star Wars films?!

If so then I presume he must have stopped the tape after that awful titles sequence! 

I liked the bit where he personally recommended Powell, though. :D 

Or Ahch-To. ;)

In any case, it's his right. He created the SW sound and it makes sense for him to call what is and what isn't right for the series. Maybe he sees more versatility in composers like Desplat, Powell or Newman. They clearly at least attempt to reach beyond the film music tropes whereas Giacchino seems to be more of a "film music" educated crowd. Hard to say really. Or maybe he simply wants artists to find their own voice and reinterpret certain ideas in unique ways. Many artists tend to get offended by emulations and pastiches of their own work. After all inspiring the creativity is way more rewarding rather than someone merely approximating certain style. Just like imitating someone's accent, it simply isn't terribly flattering.

Karol

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

I sincerely doubt Williams would ever say something like that. He's too much of a professional.

Hasn't he always been respectful of his fellow composers?

47 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Even if he did it’s not going to change my opinion of how much I enjoy Rogue One. 

Likewise!

I'd be a little bit disappointed in John Williams as a person though if he spoke ill of fellow composers or people he worked with.

He always strikes me as a consummate professional and an excessively humble, respectful and kind person.

I massively respect him for exactly that!

(Plus his incredible music. That too. ;) )