John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

18 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

James Newton Howard was asked before Powell, as was confirmed by the composer himself in an interview; but he couldn't do it because of schedule conflictions.

Link please?

Perhaps Williams is pleased with how Fantastic Beasts turned out? I somewhat doubt he would be paying that much attention but who knows...

Either way, I'm more interested in Powell.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Perhaps Williams is pleased with how Fantastic Beasts turned out? I somewhat doubt he would be paying that much attention but who knows...

Either way, I'm more interested in Powell.

Karol

Improbable. This is 100% a Kasdan connection.

In an interview many years ago, someone asked Williams what he thought of the young rising talent -he spoke very fondly of James Horner and James Newton Howard in particular.

I kind of hope JW did a full-fledged arrangement of the Han Solo theme, but I'm guessing he just wrote a basic sketch. The change in style between Williams and Powell might be a bit jarring, plus I'd love to just hear the theme exclusively realized by Powell. We'll know soon! 

14 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Strange,I can't find that post in the link. Can you copy and past the whole quote and the interview link?

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Strange,I can't find that post in the link. Can you copy and past the whole quote and the interview link?

Click on the "Pawel P. replied to a topic" part at the top.

I've always wanted a JNH SW score... too bad he couldn't do it. But JP is a great composer as well. Really the only two people I would be upset if they hired are Alexander Desplat or Hans Zimmer (or any of Hans' talentless lackies).

9 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm relieved you don't consider JP among the Zimmer lackies. 

(Though a lackey like Lorne Balfe has done okay stuff here and there, like Lego Batman).

And some of Panda 2.

19 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It was posted on another page. I don't have the time (or patience) to track it down. I think it was either an audio interview or a podcast interview.

Apparently its from a Polish interview:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://kultura.onet.pl/wywiady-i-artykuly/james-newton-howard-geniusz-z-przypadku-wywiad/h5er1cc&prev=search

As you are friends with Lawrence Kasdan , the creator of the script and producer of the film about Han Solo, you have collaborated with him many times, I can not ask you if there is a chance that in this film you will hear your music [the interview took place before the composer was John Powell - aut.] .

I received this offer and accepted it, but it soon turned out that I would not be able to compose this music. All because the recording session will take place exactly on the date of the "Nutcracker" session, and this is also a very big production ... It can not be reconciled. So I had to refuse, which broke my heart because there is no better film for the composer than Star Wars. Well, but you can not have everything. Maybe next time. I just talked to Larry and told me that everything in this film, despite previous problems [change of director, he became Ron Howard - cars], goes very well.

13 hours ago, Fal said:

Considering where this could've gone, given today's musical climate, I think they asked two of the best suited composers. 

Although Howard has made comments recently (I think it was the liners for LLL's Wyatt Earp) that he was moving away from the melodic approach he displayed during the early 00s, so it's hard to judge what sort of approach he'd have taken. Powell on the other hand, when he's not doing more minimalist music for thrillers, goes all out with fun music. If for example, we get anything along the lines of HTTYD, this could be good.

But having said that, everyone got very rosy-tinted with RPO, and I found that a disappointment, so anything could happen...

JNH is in full melodic mode these days. Fantastic Beasts, The Huntsman, the incredible suites from Red Sparrow, and now he's doing The Nutcracker, Fantastic Beasts 2. I think he would completely cover a Star Wars film with lovely melodies. 

I feel like TV spots were destroyed with The Last Jedi. There were something like 27. Gosh. One of many you can expect from Solo here.

Apparently you can see Slave I in one of these. Boba Fett's ship. 

new-photo-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-features-paul-bettany-as-dryden-vos-and-a-new-mandalorian-character2

See the Mandalorian armor in this new picture of the awesome Dryden Vos? An alteration of Boba Fett's but hey who knows.

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It just generic Mandalorian armor; maybe Vos is or was one.

I'd buy that. What about Pre Vizsla from Clone Wars. He was Mandalorian and he looks close to Dryden here.

Powell said on his instagram that there will be 19 tracks in the album ( same amount with TLJ )

Cant wait! only 1 month

------

Anyway, when was the last time you saw "an event movie*" scored by John Powell IN A THEATRE? Well, Powell never scored an event movie* that's for sure ( the last time was, nothing )

And the last powell movie i watched in a theatre was HTTYD2, and the music's poorly mixed!

But that wont be the case here, as Star Wars gives a guarantee for a beautifully mixed music.( I mean i was more interested in Giacchhinooo's RO after i'd seen the movie in theatre, eventough we all now that, even under those tight circumtances, RO's music is just very mediocre )

imagine the feel, for me as a Powell fan, my god, really cant wait 

*) An event movie is mega blockbuster franchise movies in the line of SW, MCU,

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

SOLO: a movie so big it takes two composers to write the score (which, of course, is ironic on many levels). 

After all his work with Gregson-Williams, and now a movie beside JW, I think he works in partners more than any other composer. Save Jacob Shea maybe, but not a fair comparison.

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

Powell said on his instagram that there will be 19 tracks in the album ( same amount with TLJ )

Cant wait! only 1 month

------

Anyway, when was the last time you saw "an event movie*" scored by John Powell IN A THEATRE? Well, Powell never scored an event movie* that's for sure ( the last time was, nothing )

And the last powell movie i watched in a theatre was HTTYD2, and the music's poorly mixed!

But that wont be the case here, as Star Wars gives a guarantee for a beautifully mixed music.( I mean i was more interested in Giacchhinooo's RO after i'd seen the movie in theatre, eventough we all now that, even under those tight circumtances, RO's music is just very mediocre )

imagine the feel, for me as a Powell fan, my god, really cant wait 

*) An event movie is mega blockbuster franchise movies in the line of SW, MCU,

X-Men: The Last Stand was an event. It was very disappointing but it was an event at the time. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

SOLO: a movie so big it takes two composers to write the score (which, of course, is ironic on many levels). 

Huh? Powell's composing the whole thing by himself.

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

After all his work with Gregson-Williams, and now a movie beside JW, I think he works in partners more than any other composer. Save Jacob Shea maybe, but not a fair comparison.

Hans says hi.