John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Perhaps he initially believes in the Force but something happens in this film to turn him into a cynic a la ANH?

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That was the actor Alden Ehrenreich saying "May the Force be with you" not the character Han Solo.

How can you be so sure

2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

How can you be so sure

Did he break the fourth wall?

:D

Don't worry, for the 42nd anniversary Blu-ray release of ANH they'll remove Han's anti-Force sentiments.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

Everything Powell's ever written for Fantasy?

Works for me then. Anything like HTTYD?

4 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

My God! Really??

Come one, do we have to bleach your hair first in order for you to not get stiff and bland, Emilia Clarke? 

I mean come on, looks how she act when Chewie takes over. I know, this's hardly oscar material ( excapet for Powell's 2nd Nomination thats for sure), but come on!

As far as bland acting goes, you look worse than twilight era-Stewart

What's with the trend of Disney hiring posh, naturalistic yet somewhat wooden British actresses (Ridley, Jones, Clarke)? Is it just cheap foreign labour? Ironic how Daisy Ridley, the one with the least experience under her belt is the most convincing of the three.

That's one of the consequences of the demise of regional repertory theatre. All young actors have now are drama school, a few stage roles (if you're lucky), and maybe a stint on a soap or a big-screen TV production like GOT. None of that is a real substitute for the ordeal by fire and water that was weekly rep. Next thing happens, they're cast in a billion-dollar franchise by virtue of their accent alone, and their lack of experience sticks out like a sore thumb.

Music sounds awesome, BTW, although it's a lot to take in in a short space of time.

Asteroid Chase Theme ("Han's Heroics?") >  possible new theme (sounds a bit like Holst's Jupiter) > Luke/Main theme > Rebel fanfare. 

^^

I think that's why they select this clip.

The clip, which is not only showcasing the Falcon in action, but also, accidently jampacked with the most nostalgia-inducing music materials they can ever find, and there you have it, fanboys cheering and screaming! "Oh my god, is that the Empire Strikes Back music??!!!"

My first chance in my life to hear it on the big screen (and probably only apart from the upcoming LTP concert I didn't know about then) and it came as a complete surprise, of course I went crazy! In the European cinemagoer way, of course, meaning widely but quietly grinning.

I really hope Powell has followed in the footsteps of every previous Star Wars soundtrack and done a concert arrangement or two for his own new themes.  Not normally part of his process, I know.

is it possible that John Williams wrote a cue called "Han Solo Theme", but in fact, is a compilation of all of the new themes this movie requires, including Chewie's and Lando's?

wkwk that would be an easy job on Powell's behalf

From the first trailer it's been clear this will be a very fun movie!

And I enjoyed that line as well

In fact beyond really liking the score in this clip, I really liked everything else in the clip too.  I'll be seeing this one in the cinema for sure

But honestly, aside from the score, the effects

and Bradford young's cinematography ( i just love the shot of Chewie fixing things up FROM OUTSIDE the cockpit),

there is something really wrong with the direction, and this is not Howard's fault, or indirectly at least, as if he was on the rush ( yeah you bet)

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's not as though we have any reason to trust the guy who gave us Jim Carrey's Grinch.

Alternatively, the Oscar-winning director of Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.

18 minutes ago, John said:

Alternatively, the Oscar-winning director of Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.

Alternatively alternatively, the guy who made some of the most easy-to-love crowdpleasing cheeseball entertainments of the 80s like SplashCocoon, and Willow.

We can pretend those dumb Dan Brown movies never happened, right?

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Alternatively alternatively, the guy who made some of the most easy-to-love crowdpleasing cheeseball entertainments of the 80s like SplashCocoon, and Willow.

When you look at it that way, he is the ideal person to helm a Star Wars movie!

4 hours ago, Sharky said:

Music sounds awesome, BTW, although it's a lot to take in in a short space of time.

Asteroid Chase Theme ("Han's Heroics?") >  possible new theme (sounds a bit like Holst's Jupiter) > Luke/Main theme > Rebel fanfare. 

You think? It's as scatterbrained as TLJ, which also was bogged down by too many loving winks and homages.

I get the charge of overcrowding that's being leveled here.  We've got what should be two major fist-pump moments of theme recognition within about fifteen seconds of one another.  That said, it's hard to judge this scene's placement in the movie.  It might be a major moment worthy of those consecutive hurrahs.

Chewie's theme sounds incredibly melodic, but it's beaten into submission by the mix, the sound quality, and my lousy speakers so much that it sounds like it's being played on kazoo.  I see nothing worrisome here, but I'm a little sorry I watched it this way.

3 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I get the charge of overcrowding that's being leveled here.  We've got what should be two major fist-pump moments of theme recognition within about fifteen seconds of one another.  That said, it's hard to judge this scene's placement in the movie.  It might be a major moment worthy of those consecutive hurrahs.

Chewie's theme sounds incredibly melodic, but it's beaten into submission by the mix, the sound quality, and my lousy speakers so much that it sounds like it's being played on kazoo.  I see nothing worrisome here, but I'm a little sorry I watched it this way.

Powell is known for using kazoos.