John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Just now, John said:

I'm guessing the track "Dice and Roll" is an end credits suite, similar to "Jyn Erso and Hope Suite" from R1.

Yeah it does seem like that would otherwise be around Is This Seat Taken? in the OST based on what we know about this card game for the Falcon. Its positioning may indicate that it is an end credits suite, yes.

So john powell just replied on his instagram account:

The only-powell * tracks will run for 75minutes and 20 seconds (it's been confirmed a while ago

but williams track included, it will last, in total, he said "its a bit over 77 minutes"

that means only around 2 minutes of Han's theme?

----

*) can we say Powell and team? hahaha his "ghost writers" Batu Sener, Anthony willis, and Paul Mounsey. Of course the term here is different when applied for Zimmerian

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you referring to the UK before brexit?

That joke isn’t funny anymore 

2 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

The only-powell * tracks will run for 75minutes and 20 seconds (it's been confirmed a while ago

but williams track included, it will last, in total, he said "its a bit over 77 minutes"

----

*) can we say Powell and team? hahaha his "ghost writers" Batu Sener, Anthony willis, and Paul Mounsey. Of course the term here is different when applied for Zimmerian

That's a bit short... I have a bad feeling about this.

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

That joke is funny anymore 

That joke is funny anymore 

Yes it is. :)

2 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Zimmer is actually quite assiduous in crediting the composers who work with him.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Zimmer is actually quite assiduous in crediting the composers who work with him.

Not always on the soundtrack covers when they should have had their name there.

Had Williams seen some of the film? I suppose he would have wanted to, in order to have a feel for what he was composing to.

If he found it in any way like that film, to the point that he paraphrased his title for a theme from that film, that's not very reassuring.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Are you referring to The Magnificent Six?

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a bit short... I have a bad feeling about this.

Yes it is. :)

The post in which the runtime's confirmed has long been edited, so perhaps there's been some slight changes.

Afterall, Powell said himself, referring to Williams's "tune" as brilliant. So nothing to worry about

9 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Ha!  No.

After all, if it weren't for Zimmer's use of credited additional composers/farming them out and advocating for their careers, John Powell would not be where he is today.

And now that's what Powell is doing for talented people like Batu Sener.

8 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

He listed them on the cover because that's the fewest number of co-composers he's ever used!

(j/k I like Zimmer and really have no problem with team composing)

is this new: ?

"John Williams himself suggested that John Powell would be a great candidate to not only use the classic Star Wars themes, but also the new theme that John Williams himself wrote for Han Solo. John Powell wrote a lot of great themes, including the first-ever Chewbacca theme."

https://movieweb.com/solo-movie-soundtrack-chewbacca-theme-song-music/

Wow if that's not satisfaction,  then i dont know what it is

This just settles the dust!

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ha!  No.

After all, if it weren't for Zimmer's use of credited additional composers/farming them out and advocating for their careers, John Powell would not be where he is today.

And now that's what Powell is doing for talented people like Batu Sener.

Well said, Disco Stu.  It is also worth noting that front cover credits, like prominent end/opening title credits, are not necessarily the composer's choice, and while directors and producers may be ok with an A list composer heading a team and bringing in new faces to boost their experience, they are still paying mostly for the A list name.  Besides, cue sheet credits are what get you paid. 

It's fix and official then:

Powell would score Rian Johnson trilogy ( if Lucas just completely ignore fans's animosity towards TLJ, then yes it will happen)

What a year for Powell to be alive

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

The Maw is a place in the old EU and from the trailers it looks like it’s reappearing here in some form. 

Thank you for the tip. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Maw

Makes sense. You can see the one picture with the Falcon that is captioned: 

Maw Falcon btm

The Millennium Falcon departs Kessel and the Maw.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yep. For the end-credits roll.

Funny...

Sounds like something Giacchino would do.

Ratatouille- Creditouilles

UP- Up with Titles, Up with End Credits

4 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

If that's accurate then yeah, sounds like it's gonna be around 2 minutes, probably give or take 15-30 seconds. Which would have to be among his shorter concert pieces. 

But keeping in mind that that's just Williams's piece. There will also be Powell's variations too and hopefully we'll get some cool ones. It could be all over the score.

I do hope that the title doesn't really mean it'll have much in common with "Adventures of Mutt." Han's theme should have some edge to its heroism.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Being shot in a leg is better still. ;)

Karol

You mean shot up with drugs that give you an overwhelming sense of euphoria???

Nah, Adventures of Mutt is still better.

It's good but it's the only time that comes to mind that Williams was thinking of something else when writing the tune. He was thinking of Errol Flynn, but not Mutt.

But it's a lot of fun.

The swashbuckling theme on its own is awesome and was put to great use in the jungle chase scene.

"The Adventures of Mutt", on the other hand...

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

If he found it in any way like that film, to the point that he paraphrased his title for a theme from that film, that's not very reassuring.

That's just one of those generic Williams titles, like The ____ Scene, Introducing _____, Finding _____, Approaching _____.

I should hope so. 

10 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

it's the only time that comes to mind that Williams was thinking of something else when writing the tune. He was thinking of Errol Flynn, but not Mutt.

I think he does this more often than one would think. In order to process the absurdity of what he's scoring he is "reimagining" it, as it were: a good example would be the way he refers to the duel in The Phantom Menace like a "ballet" and a "pagan ritual".

9 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

It's good but it's the only time that comes to mind that Williams was thinking of something else when writing the tune. He was thinking of Errol Flynn, but not Mutt.

But it's a lot of fun.

That is sort of what I'm worried about, that it could just be a fun comic-swashbuckling adventure theme that doesn't really evoke Han Solo. But I will trust that Johnny knows what he's doing with this character.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

it could just be a fun comic-swashbuckling adventure theme that doesn't really evoke Han Solo

That's the interesting bit: Did Wiliams write a theme to evoke Ford's Han Solo, or to evoke this film's take on him?

Assuming its one of Williams more long-lined pieces, he could write a swashbuckling A phrase, and a more pensive B phrase that evokes the Han we know and love, or vice versa; and than JWFan could tear itself apart arguing whether the A and B phrase are separate leitmotives or not...;)

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hm, I’m a Williams fan first, Star Wars fan a distant distant second.  I hope I enjoy the piece, if it fits the character that’s just gravy

Ultimately I'm the same, but a Han Solo theme by John Williams is a cool and unexpected opportunity. I'm just really curious to hear it through that lens.

I think it's gonna be really enjoyable to hear this thing and I hope it suits the movie and the character as they're portraying it, and that it fits comfortably in Powell's score.

I have a hunch "Adventures of Han" will quote the first few notes of "Han Solo and the Princess", much like "Adventures of Mutt" often quotes bits and pieces of the Raider's March.

36 minutes ago, Sharky said:

That's just one of those generic Williams titles, like The ____ Scene, Introducing _____, Finding _____, Approaching _____.

"The Han Scene" would have been a better title.  

21 minutes ago, Sharky said:

But will he quote Powell's theme in 7M73 Remembering Chewie?

It would be kinda cute if he gave it a nod somewhere in 9. Like "Thanks for taking care of my theme, baby"

Galaxy's Worst Spice Mine
Chewie Luis and the Holonet News
Qi-ra or Straight?
Wreck-it-Beckett
L3-426
The Poodoo hits the Mimban

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/chewbacca-will-get-his-own-theme-song-in-solo-a-star-wars-story-a160410

Chewbacca Will Get His Own Theme Song In SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY

This headline deserves the force of evil to destroy the writer immediately.