John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I find myself relistening to the clip with Chewie's Theme in the Falcon over and over with the same earworm feeling I had when I heard that TV spot from TFA, the one with the Finn/Falcon motif. Chewie's theme sounds so joyous and like something Williams might write. 

downloadfile-2.gif

38 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Another podcast, i havent heard it. But here it is

58: JOHN POWELL – THE MUSICAL FORCE BEHIND SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY 

Goodness I'm 15 minutes in and the hosts' banter is pretty painful to sit through.  Powell is very good though of course.

18 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I like Powell's face on this one

MV5BMjQ4MDMyOTIyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE0

Woody looks very...gruff. And who is in the Chewbacca costume? Jonas clearly is elsewhere. 

Is it just me, or does Donald Glover always look like Lando now?

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I find myself relistening to the clip with Chewie's Theme in the Falcon over and over with the same earworm feeling I had when I heard that TV spot from TFA, the one with the Finn/Falcon motif. Chewie's theme sounds so joyous and like something Williams might write. 

*Puts rose-tinted glasses on*

Could this be the first ever score where JWFan is actually happy with a non-JW score from a JW franchise, and doesn't constantly wish he had done it?

I'm actually more excited about this than I would be if JNH had scored it. Powell is pretty much never dull when he's in fantasy mode.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You haven't gotten to the part where they tell him what "songs" of his they love.

Image result for rabbit winnie the pooh facepalm

Powell. on the left, and the host ,right, who is in a sticky spot.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

Caption

Kathy: Oh yeah punk? Your ass is fired and I'll have security drag you and your lame ass "score" out of here.

Powell: But John recommended me!

Chewie: Image result for chewie sad gif

21 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Caption

Kathy: Oh yeah punk? Your ass is fired and I'll have security drag you and your lame ass "score" out of here.

Powell: But John recommended me!

Kathy: Does he ever mention me?  Do you think I am pretty like Daisy?  What could I change to make him notice me?  Tell me!

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Kathy: Does he ever mention me?  Do you think I am pretty like Daisy?  What could I change to make him notice me?  Tell me!

Kathleen Kennedy could kick your ass

20 hours ago, Incanus said:

a Finnish basketball player turned actor Joonas Suotamo

:drool:

22 hours ago, Richard said:

It really is as if no-one believes in what they are selling. Is that a dead horse, at the back?

Ha! I look again and you seem to have hit the nail on the head!

Highlights from the above podcast:

- JW wrote SEVERAL themes for the new film!

- JW spotted the movie with Powell and Ron Howard. 

-JW did demos for the team of the themes with a full orchestra at Sony

Yeah,

3 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Highlights from the above podcast:

- JW wrote SEVERAL themes for the new film!

Yeah, he mentioned that during the red carpet as well I believe.

This will be a confusing (and disappointing) album for Powell fans out there:

"Bu he (John) wrote a couple of themes, they're so wonderful,........., i (Powell) just took them,....... his music are all over the movie"

So basically Powell didnt even try hahaha

I dont know if he's just inspired by Williams's music and only took notes from them,...or.... he just, literally and completely, without alteration, took them, as a whole and call it as his (powell's) themes.....i guess we will never know.

JW spotted the film and wrote several new themes?! I'm honestly surprised by his level of involvement. I hope we find out which themes are JW and which are JP. I hope that Chewie theme isn't JW.

Edit: Listening to the podcast now, I like how JP talks about music, despite not actually liking a ton of his music.

So JW spotted the film, wrote several new themes, played them on piano for Powell and Howard on separate occasions at his home as.is his tradition, and then recorded demos with a full orchestra and kept in touch with JP throughout the scoring process. Considering JW recorded several cues, I wonder if we will be able to tell them apart on the OST beyond the 1st track. 

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Hmmm...i don't consider that good news. Makes it sound like Powell just was a pawn like Ross on COS.

That's not the impression I get from this interview or the film clips released so far. Already I hear music that I'd never hear from JW. Powell describes it well in the interview: there will be times when you'll hear something that sounds like JW and it is. Music that sounds like JP and it is. Music that sounds like JW and it isn't. Music that sounds like JP and it isn't. And some reminisce therapy meaning quotes and new renditions of old SW material. In all that, I think we are getting plenty of JP. Even he said the close involvement of JW is part of why he said yes to the gig.

We will have a hard time digesting this.

i'm, for one, quite disappointed with this revelation.

Im sure we will get a ton of Powell, thats no doubt, and we are going to easily distinguish which one is whose which one is not ( i hope).

But knowing, that the music wont be genuine Powell is..well disappointing.

In the end, i'll classify this is as an actual "Test Drive" for Powell, and i should be lucky to even get a Star Wars Powell score in the first place! 

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

That's not the impression I get from this interview or the film clips released so far. Already I hear music that I'd never hear from JW. Powell describes it well in the interview: there will be times when you'll hear something that sounds like JW and it is. Music that sounds like JP and it is. Music that sounds like JW and it isn't. Music that sounds like JP and it isn't. And some reminisce therapy meaning quotes and new renditions of old SW material. In all that, I think we are getting plenty of JP. Even he said the close involvement of JW is part of why he said yes to the gig.

A composer having himself 'several new themes' written by another - and that's the official version - and getting 'help' spotting the picture may sound like a brilliant idea to people for whom Star Wars and Williams is everything, for me it sounds like i'm getting diluted Powell writing around not only Williams' old stuff but his new stuff, too! 

actually, John powell himself, just posted this on his instagram:

The way he puts Williams in bracket only for Han Theme, just basically confirms it, that the rest of themes ( five remaining) are true Powell's.

Well the same cant be said for that "major theme-like motifs" though.

Don’t forget Rey’s theme can be expressed with like 4 different melodic components individually or together.  Perhaps Han’s theme is similar?

anyway this all sounds great to me.  A Williams Powell collaborative score is a match made in heaven

16 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

actually, John powell himself, just posted this on his instagram:

The way he puts Williams in bracket only for Han Theme, just basically confirms it, that the rest of themes ( five remaining) are true Powell's.

Well the same cant be said for that "major theme-like motifs" though.

Your humble self posted a sentence contradicting that:

Bu he (John) wrote a couple of themes, they're so wonderful,........., i (Powell) just took them,....... his music are all over the movie"

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

Your humble self posted a sentence contradicting that:

thats my simple-minded-terrified self

i just quoted what Powell said in the podcast.

But now i guess, what he means by "took" is, rather:

1.) Inspired by it, or

2.) Took only small phrases of it, or

3.) developed it into that "major theme-like motifs directly following the plot all the way through movie", hence explaining williams's music being all over the movie

well anyway, Han's theme will be featured in 16 tracks (of 20 tracks availabe in the album), replied John Powell, so that's really all over!

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Don’t forget Rey’s theme can be expressed with like 4 different melodic components individually or together.  Perhaps Han’s theme is similar?

Ehm...

On 5/9/2018 at 1:45 AM, Chen G. said:

Assuming its one of Williams more long-lined pieces[...]than JWFan could tear itself apart arguing whether the A and B phrase are separate leitmotives or not...;)

I'm really excited to hear what he does with it. It was interesting to hear Powell talk about feeling stuck until he heard Williams's work and then the writing process opened up for him. He must have had fun working with the theme, hope it shows!

It is however quite great that the composer actually provides us with a catalog of themes for his upcoming piece.

Its almost like he tweeted liner notes!

It'll also make the breakdown of the score much easier to do. People won't be hearing obscure leitmotives all over the place, because the composer has clearly charted his themes for us.

So on a podcast, Powell says Williams wrote a bunch of themes for the film; then on his own Instagram, he says Williams only wrote one and he wrote the rest?  

What's the real deal?

I wonder what kind of information will be in the OST booklet...