John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

The BEST of RCP-ish passage in Solo

Dont get me wrong; i hate the current state of that mega evil enterprise.

But i also adore that classic RCP sound that's used in the mid 90s, it is distinct and bring back old memories.

And what i also want to add here is how beautifully Powell blends these two distinct hemisphere.

So, here is my list of its best usage in Solo:

ANTZ Percussion

It was used in many action movie scores in the mid 90s. ANTZ, being another Powell classic, comes to mind:

First i heard it in Mine Mission, at 1:38 - 1:48

And then in Into The Maw, at 3:00 - 3:05

The Prince of Egypt Progression/ Fake-Sounding Trumpet

I made up that title, but i heard it in that film

Heard in Break out, starting at 3:47 - 3:57

and this is the Prince of Egypt progression i was talking about, with that kind of bass drum (?) at the base, at 3:57 - 4:07

And this is the Antz music for comparison, at 2:45 onward

and that percussion, 7:06 onward, and the percussion at 7:18

Not on the album, but in that brief moment near the start where you hear the Imperial March, it made me think of what they did in rebels once, where it was in a major key. Made me wonder if it could be the same arrangement even. It was all very brief, but anyone know more about this?

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh so Williams actually wanted a modern sounding score. That's pretty cool to learn. I bet as an artist he's fascinated with all the modern toys that contemporary composers use.

To be honest, this hot-headed probably bit too over-eager take on the old material sits well with the younger incarnation of Solo.

Karol

It's tough to be creative and not fascinated by whats new. Time is your limiting factor, not curiosity. Despite his repeated statements that he just hasn't had time to dabble in the new stuff, people still like to project that Williams has an ideological opposition to new techniques. 

4 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

It's tough to be creative and not fascinated by whats new. Time is your limiting factor, not curiosity. Despite his repeated statements that he just hasn't had time to dabble in the new stuff, people still assume he has an ideological opposition to new techniques. 

Interviewer: John, do you have a favourite score?

John: Pirates of the Caribbean. The first one, such an iconic and beautifully realised composition. It show me that this artform is still alive, if you will. It reminds of the braver time in film history and geniuses like Alex North.

Karol

6 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

As for the album presentation, is mostly chronological, just with one track being out of order from what I remember, that being The Good Guy which I think goes after Into the Maw.

On 25.5.2018 at 11:36 AM, lemoncurd said:

Help!!!! Horn motif in Train Heist, 2:18 - 2:25. I've heard it before. Don't know where. Not saying it's an intentional quote. But it's something. I can't put my finger on it. Anyone???? Thanks!!!!!

Found it. Kind of. It reminded me of Leaving Ingrid from Seven Years of Tibet (opening motif).

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh, by the way, another quote from Powell on Williams' instructions (from the said interview): "Don't be so honourable to the material. Do your own thing. I'm interested to see what you'll do with it. I'm interested to see what you can add to it. The sounds I don't do, the things I don't do, the way I don't do it."

:)

Karol

Giacchino must be crying in a corner right about now. 

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

I wonder if J. Williams also feels Giacchino's better for Jurassic than Star Wars, considering Giacchino's doing Fallen Kingdom and all.

He certainly made Jurassic more his own than Rogue One. 

I'd at least say Jurassic World is one of his better 'blockbuster' scores. Delightful dinosaur rampage shenanigans suits Mike G. just fine.

Star Wars is a bit more of a complicated, demanding thematic soundscape.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Ignoring the main theme, which I'm not a fan of, JW is probably one of Giacchino's stronger film works.

Karol

Funny, I'm the opposite. I really liked the main theme (it has a yearning English folk song quality), but can give or take the rest of the score.

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'd at least say Jurassic World is one of his better 'blockbuster' scores. Delightful dinosaur rampage shenanigans suits Mike G. just fine.

Star Wars is a bit more of a complicated, demanding thematic soundscape.

That's because the Jurassic Park universe is inherently zany, and Giacchino can do zany.

JurassicParkHelicopter-720x528.jpg

He suffers from a deplorable excess of personality, especially for a composer.

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

That's a bizarre, intriguing comparison if I've ever heard one.

I'm a bizarre, intriguing person.

I'm not saying this as a comparison to Rogue One (as I don't remember anything about that score except his scoring the big Vader slaughter at the end), but I like that Powell saves the big popular Star Wars themes for near the end (probably hinted at before for all I know, but L3 and the Millenium Falcon is when he finally fully grants a cameo). Just feels more earned and satisfying that way getting to that point.

6 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I'm a bizarre intriguing person.

I haven’t seen anything bizarre from you. What’s the most controversial thought you hold? ;) 

57 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

You gonna argue with John Williams?

With 2018 Williams? sure.

1977 Williams (regarding a composition of his from that year), not so much.

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm not saying this as a comparison to Rogue One (as I don't remember anything about that score except his scoring the big Vader slaughter at the end), but I like that Powell saves the big popular Star Wars themes for near the end (probably hinted at before for all I know, but L3 and the Millenium Falcon is when he finally fully grants a cameo). Just feels more earned and satisfying that way getting to that point.

My wife always says, “sex is boring when the climax comes in the beginning.” 

4 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Yes! Not counting school, I’ve had just over a decade of composing professionally (aka ‘for money’) and I’m juuuust now finally accepting my inner voice without constantly looking over my shoulder at those I admired (Barry, Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, etc).  It was there all along, just buried under the crap of constantly comparing myself to others. And it is unbelievably freeing. 

Good on you figuring it out. Many go to the grave miserable and filled with regret because they never do. 

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Funny, I'm the opposite. I really liked the main theme (it has a yearning English folk song quality), but can give or take the rest of the score.

Agreed.

57 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

My wife always says, “sex is boring when the climax comes in the beginning.” 

A woman after my own heart.  Is she bored with you yet?

3 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

I haven’t seen anything bizarre from you. What’s the most controversial thought you hold? ;) 

Well sure. Compared to sky338 I'm the most boring man in the world, but I do hold a few controversial opinions.

- The Godfather Part III is the greatest of the trilogy.

- Sofia Coppola's performance as Michael Corleone's daughter is the highlight of her career.

- The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are both morally repugnant.

- The Deer Hunter, Forest Gump, American Beauty, Grand Budapest Hotel, and No Country for Old Men stink.

- Natalie Portman is an awful actress. 

- Joseph Losey is one of the greatest directors ever.

- George Clooney should never write or direct another film again. He's done enough damage.

- Gus Van Sant has only one good film. My Own Private Idaho.

- River Phoenix, Heath Ledger and James Dean all had potential but are ridiculously overrated.

- All The Presidents Men, The Post, Spotlight, and Three Days of the Condor are glib trash. Journalists are not our saviors.

- Prostitution should be legalized, regulated, monitored and taxed.

- Kathleen Turner should've won Best Actress for Serial Mom in 1994.

- Jessica Lange was miscast in Feud and Faye Dunaway's performance in Mommie Dearest is superior

- Showgirls is actually a good film.

Take your pick.

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

- The Godfather Part III is the greatest of the trilogy.

He asked for controversial thoughts, not stupid ones.

2 minutes ago, Sharky said:

- Prostitution should be legalized, regulated, monitored and taxed.

I live in a state where prostitution is much more "embraced" than most places, so I could be biased, but this seems to be a position held by many I've heard talk on the subject.

Hmm... Just listened to Powell's score.

I'm very glad he was encouraged to tread elsewhere, rather than just lightly, but I have to say there's something about his approach that to my ears also highlights certain shortcomings of a more "modern" approach (not to slight Powell's efforts in the least; my guess is he's written exactly the score he was asked to). 

The use of percussion gets very tiring very quickly, and instead of energizing the musical flow seems to detract from it. And the harmonic language feels for the most part sort of emotionally flat. It just ends up feeling very light and inconsequential, I guess. Then again, it might be a very light and inconsequential film...

In the process of scoring a major film myself at the moment, I have of course encountered a temp track that is mostly informed by scores from the last few years (lots of Zimmer). And while I respect and like much of it, I can't help but lament a tendency to make things streamlined and unobtrusive.

It's a style that co-exists very comfortably with just about anything you'd have it accompany, as so much of it is about latching on to steady rhythms and inoffensive 'pop' chord progressions. But it does tend to sacrifice having an integrity of its own, subsequently preventing the music from adding new, individual layers. 

I guess that's the aspect I "miss" the most... 

-Last Starfighter has a better main theme than either Star Trek or Star Wars.

-There's a couple duds, but overall I like the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels even more than the original. New Nightmare is both the best film in the series and has the best score.

-Ghostbusters (1984) sucks. Don't worry though, I didn't like the remake either.

-Gremlins 2 is better than the original

Score sounded much better in the film, the sound fx drowned out most of the drum loops. Made me want to give it a second chance at least.

What's with

Spoiler

The Death Star motif from ANH used to punctuate the appearance of a Star Destroyer?

38 minutes ago, Sharky said:

- Jessica Lange was miscast in Feud and Faye Dunaway's performance in Mommie Dearest is superior

I think most informed people would agree with that.

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

think there's room in these non-saga films and scores for burlesque and a general lightness of touch.

Yep.

Also I agree about Jurassic World.  I wasn’t super into the action writing but the theme was nice.  One of his stronger recent melodies.  Not as strong as Yorktown or Tomorrowland, but I liked it.