John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Contemporary classical music is quite enamored with percussion, so its mostly a reaction against Zimmer's style, and the use of electronics.

In moderation, I find it fine.

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:
1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Listen to that obnoxious percussion, especially the snare drum...god, what did Williams do, Ctrl+C and V a bar loop until he dragged it through most of the piece? :pukeface:

Well, he used real snares, for one thing. Not drums created by a computer and played by a computer with none of the human quality a real player brings to a performance.

Just now, BTR1701 said:

Well, he used real snares, for one thing. Not drums created by a computer and played by a computer with none of the human quality a real player brings to a performance.

Your rhetoric is becoming a little unstable, please be careful. 

Just now, Loert said:

Powell's percussion is actually less repetitive than you might think. If you listen closely, you will hear that the percussion is constantly changing, measure by measure, to support what's going on around it at that moment. It's a mistake to think that, just because Powell uses what SOUNDS like a percussion loop, means that it is strictly a percussion loop.

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Your rhetoric is becoming a little unstable, please be careful. 

So we've reached the ad hominem part of the discussion already, have we? Well, that was quick. You have fun with that. I'm out.

Just now, BTR1701 said:

So we've reached the ad hominem part of the discussion already, have we? Well, that was quick. You have fun with that. I'm out.

Do read Loert's comment before you go.

1 minute ago, Loert said:

Powell's percussion is actually less repetitive than you might think. If you listen closely, you will hear that the percussion is constantly changing, measure by measure, to support what's going on around it at that moment. It's a mistake to think that, just because Powell uses what SOUNDS like a percussion loop, means that it is strictly a percussion loop.

I wasn't talking about this film specifically, but rather the modern trend in general, i.e., any of the Marvel film scores.

Just now, BTR1701 said:

Ad hominem is when a person goes after the other personally. I said nothing  disparaging of you, or indeed anything of you at all, only the rhetoric you used in your claim.

11 minutes ago, BTR1701 said:

I wasn't talking about this film specifically, but rather the modern trend in general, i.e., any of the Marvel film scores.

Why else would you have written this:

51 minutes ago, BTR1701 said:

Yeah, that's it. Not enough endless looped booming electronic drums!

after kasey's post referencing King Mark's post? Come on now. You were lumping SOLO in with the "rest".

42 pages and the whole EWWW THIS SCORE USES PERCUSSION IN A COOL WAY HOW DISGRACEFUL thing's still going? I wonder if the Mission: Impossible thread is still in argument...

-takes a gander-

Hot dang, this forum can get monotonous. 

I do kind of wish the album got to end in a suite of some sort (there's room for such once you take out the Williams demo), but in the long run it's not a big deal, as I love ending the listening with Chicken in the Pot anyway. Still, that's the one single advantage Fallen Kingdom's album has over this one. :P

7 hours ago, Loert said:

after kasey's post referencing King Mark's post? Come on now. You were lumping SOLO in with the "rest".

7 hours ago, Loert said:

*That* post was about SOLO. The subsequent post referencing RAIDERS and talking about the use of percussion in general was not.

This has been bugging me for days! What is this short little transitional idea at 0:59 taken from? I'm certain it's from something Williams did in one of his Star Wars scores, maybe Empire or one of the prequels??

THAT IS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME. 😍 I'M TEARING UP HEARING THIS. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU OH MY LORD AND SAVIOR THIS IS DELICIOUS WHAT A PERFORMANCE IT'S DIFFERENT BUT STILL FREAKING ENERGETIC AND HAPPY AND AWESOME IN ITS OWN WAY

It's terrific to hear another interpretation. Thanks for sharing, @Disco Stu

That said, is that even a real orchestra playing here? If it is, it's a pretty synthy-sounding orchestra. :lol: This, uh, does not exactly measure up to the OST version... 

6 minutes ago, Will said:

That said, is that even a real orchestra playing here? If it is, it's a pretty synthy-sounding orchestra. :lol: This, uh, does not exactly measure up to the OST version... 

That is what I was wondering, the City of Prague is a real orchestra, but this almost doesn't have their characteristic sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JZnunFJbk).

I've often found City of Prague's re-recordings to be a bit sloppy, but I have to say that their performance of 'Corellia Chase' is actually rather good! I want to hear what they do with 'Flying with Chewie' or 'The Marauders'!

Or if 'The Marauders' used a traditional choir instead of the strange chanting or whatever they used!

41 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I've often found City of Prague's re-recordings to be a bit sloppy, but I have to say that their performance of 'Corellia Chase' is actually rather good! I want to hear what they do with 'Flying with Chewie' or 'The Marauders'!

Or if 'The Marauders' used a traditional choir instead of the strange chanting or whatever they used!

Yes! I was listening to the OST day before yesterday and just thinking of how great a re-recording would be. My wishlist is:

1. Cool it on the percussion (check)

2. Slower tempo on Reminiscence Therapy

3. Healthy vocal technique

By the way they also have the TLJ Finale and TFA Farewell and The Trip on this album.

I don't have much of a problem with the percussion as some do, but it is prominent and different from the usual sonic landscape we're accustomed to for Star Wars. It's part of Powell's apparatus and what he has made a staple in his scores so it's understandable. Perhaps just a difference in mixing is the case?

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I've often found City of Prague's re-recordings to be a bit sloppy

You wanna hear sloppy?  Check out their performance of “Finale” from The Last Jedi on the same album

Yuck

Also, see my post of Leigh Phillips working on the “Corellia Chase” transcription back in May.  It’s clear now it was for this album

On 5/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, Disco Stu said:

Wow!  Leigh Phillips for the win, as always.

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

You mean the Bulgarian Women's Choir?

The distinctive sounds of women's choirs in Bulgarian folk music come from their unique rhythms, harmony and vocal production. Characteristic polyphony, such as the use of close intervals like the major second and the singing of a drone accompaniment underneath the melody, are especially common in songs from the Shope region around the Bulgarian capital Sofia and the Pirin region (Bulgarian Macedonia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Bulgaria#Folk_music