John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I heard some people really like Kingdom of Heaven. Weirdos and such. Narnia ain't bad (the second one, not the first one).

That sounded like a lot of fun. Very rich instrumentation, especially with Luke's theme at the end (which I feel was used tongue-in-cheek at that moment).

Chewie's theme sounded annoying to me at first, but then I realized that the horns playing the melody sound exactly like Chewie's roar, which explains it to some degree.

58 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I get the charge of overcrowding that's being leveled here.  We've got what should be two major fist-pump moments of theme recognition within about fifteen seconds of one another.  That said, it's hard to judge this scene's placement in the movie.  It might be a major moment worthy of those consecutive hurrahs.

Chewie's theme sounds incredibly melodic, but it's beaten into submission by the mix, the sound quality, and my lousy speakers so much that it sounds like it's being played on kazoo.  I see nothing worrisome here, but I'm a little sorry I watched it this way.

It's not the overcrowding which I find a little concerning, but the torturing of the Asteroid Field music. I don't mean the big melody at the very beginning, but the bit just before Chewie's theme plays (with the string tremolos) is modelled directly on ESB, so when Chewie's theme comes it's grating. I'm sure that Powell was told in the spotting session something like "Play the Asteroid theme, then play Chewie's theme here for a bit, then bring in Luke's theme...", which is difficult to pull off just like that.

I hope that this score doesn't just end up being a collage of moments from previous films where Han Solo was on screen. That would be annoying!

29 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The only HGW score I've seen any praise for is Sinbad. 

Kingdom of Heaven seems to be the one which gets soundtrack fans hyperventilating.

8 minutes ago, Loert said:

That sounded like a lot of fun. Very rich instrumentation, especially with Luke's theme at the end (which I feel was used tongue-in-cheek at that moment).

In what way? It plays sincere to me. It's Chewbacca and Han Solo flying the Falcon together for the first time, feels like Powell gleefully shouting "STAR WARS!"

I know I'm an amateur with no real knowledge of how Star Wars music properly works (I keep forgetting that's supposed to be Luke's theme), but I read it that way as well. 

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It that the best Ice Age score, in your opinion?

My take on it is:

Ice Age 2 is the most fun and entertaining, but in a conventional kind of way.

Ice Age 3 is less conventional, and actually quite complex. Still very entertaining.

As for Ice Age 4...let's just say, if there existed a psychiatric hospital for soundtrack albums, Ice Age 4 would be under maximum confinement.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

In what way? It plays sincere to me. It's Chewbacca and Han Solo flying the Falcon together for the first time, feels like Powell gleefully shouting "STAR WARS!"

I thought it looked a bit silly how you have this blaring statement of Luke's theme (possibly the most blaring statement ever written) whilst watching a character sitting down on a seat. I guess it's gleeful but I think it's meant to be comically over-the-top as well.

That's the way I read it anyway.

That bizarre bit of music that plays when Chewie flips a switch or something; is that supposed to be his theme?

3 minutes ago, Loert said:

I thought it looked a bit silly how you have this blaring statement of Luke's theme (possibly the most blaring statement ever written) whilst watching a character sitting down on a seat. I guess it's gleeful but I think it's meant to be comically over-the-top as well.

That's the way I read it anyway.

Oh right, I would say it's for sure silly and over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek in that way. But I feel like that just goes without saying when it comes to Star Wars.

I think Powell's definitely just playing it up and trusting the attachment people have to those characters and that they'll be happy to hear the score go "Hooray!" at that moment. When in another movie it would just seem ridiculous.

Haha, fair point.  They're back!

Not below him, I just find it unlikely that he'd use another composer's theme for a character in one of his Star Wars scores.

Yeah, I didn't think so, either.

Just an entertaining thought: to have a Chewbacca theme in the actual Williams score for the last episode. Such a quote (even as no more than a nod) would also make the scores of the episodes and spinoffs intervowen, as opposed to the spinoff composers just adapting material from Williams' previous efforts.

Wonderful stuff!  It sounds so crisp and beautifully orchestrated. Powell has always had a knack for creating the same sort of effortless, bright balletic feel that JW does so well. Thank god it doesn’t sound like the orchestra is in the last stages of elephantiasis. 

I'm glad that turned out to be a theme for Chewie and not the new Han Solo theme. It's hard to hear in the mix but I didn't love what I could hear on first listen.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

You think? It's as scatterbrained as TLJ, which also was bogged down by too many loving winks and homages.

It has the potential to be, but I'd have to hear in full context of both the film and cue. I do hope that Asteroid Chase quote (itself a reworking of the Rebel Fanfare) is more integrated into the larger body of the score than Here They Come in TLJ, which for all of its nostalgia value was stylistically a fish out of water. 

2 hours ago, Loert said:

I thought it looked a bit silly how you have this blaring statement of Luke's theme (possibly the most blaring statement ever written) whilst watching a character sitting down on a seat.

It's a tad overcooked, but by now it's really no more Luke's Theme the Force Theme is Ben's.

I'm so happy Powell is doing this score. Love the clip and was executed from the get go with him doing it. Can't wait to hear the whole score! Just the way his music comes out of Williams seamlessly is fantastic! Also loved Silvestri in Infinity War! 

31 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

It's like.... like....

Like he knows how to write for orchestra :o

Mmmhhhmmmm.....

6 hours ago, John said:

Not below him, I just find it unlikely that he'd use another composer's theme for a character in one of his Star Wars scores.

Why not, If it fits the scene, use it. I always bash on composers when they take over a Williams franchise and don't use the appropriate themes, it has to go both ways!

12 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Yeah, Powell has a thing for holst. Perhaps you have heard this cue, but yeah, i just share it anyway:

hahaha, total Jupiter inspiration to the max :) There's also Walton in there for sure!

There's a way Powell musically captures every single little moment that feels so smooth and natural, in a way I haven't heard so consistently since Jerry Goldsmith. In this instance, going from furious action scoring, to lighthearted playful amidst the characters bantering, then transitioning to the classic fanfare as Chewie takes the seat in what's presumably his first team-up with Han. It's smooth, dude. Smooth. Powell's got the chops, ya dig?

5 hours ago, Sharky said:

It has the potential to be, but I'd have to hear in full context of both the film and cue. I do hope that Asteroid Chase quote (itself a reworking of the Rebel Fanfare) is more integrated into the larger body of the score than Here They Come in TLJ, which for all of its nostalgia value was stylistically a fish out of water. 

It's the kind of idea a harebrained executive comes up with or an army of fans making a TED vote. There was a time when Williams would put in a loving wink to, i. e., Raiders in Indiana  Jones II or III and it was just 5 or 8 notes you easily could miss but if you knew the reference it was fun. Since ROTS, this stuff morphed into increasingly cumbersome insertions of whole sections of old material, orchestrationally completely at odds with Williams' more recent writing style. I'm compelled to call it lazy, not so much the physical effort but the lack of thinking behind it. 

I sincerely hope this is just a single slip and one of the few active composers with potential isn't reduced to write around rebel fanfares and re-orchestrated ESB cues.

16 hours ago, Sharky said:

What's with the trend of Disney hiring posh, naturalistic yet somewhat wooden British actresses (Ridley, Jones, Clarke)? Is it just cheap foreign labour? Ironic how Daisy Ridley, the one with the least experience under her belt is the most convincing of the three.

That's one of the consequences of the demise of regional repertory theatre. All young actors have now are drama school, a few stage roles (if you're lucky), and maybe a stint on a soap or a big-screen TV production like GOT. None of that is a real substitute for the ordeal by fire and water that was weekly rep. Next thing happens, they're cast in a billion-dollar franchise by virtue of their accent alone, and their lack of experience sticks out like a sore thumb.

Agreed. I have a southern England RP accent, and I think it's the worst in Emilia Clarke (outside GoT) and Daisy Ridley. They should've given Rey a plucky northern England, like Manchester, accent - but it would've played badly outside of the UK where old British movies have conditioned audiences that anything outside of Received Pronounciation is basically working-class...(Rey is working-class!).

Anyway, too much analysis over too little music from that clip. I'm glad we have fist-punch theme callbacks, but I agree that they're getting a little crowded as the franchise recycles itself again and again.

If that clip didn't feature any thematic callbacks, I assure you they'd be complaining. ;)

"I can't believe Chewie sat down, yet Luke's theme didn't play! What a wasted oppurtunity."

13 minutes ago, Miz said:

Agreed. I have a southern England RP accent, and I think it's the worst in Emilia Clarke (outside GoT) and Daisy Ridley. They should've given Rey a plucky northern England, like Manchester, accent - but it would've played badly outside of the UK where old British movies have conditioned audiences that anything outside of Received Pronounciation is basically working-class...(Rey is working-class!).

That is something that always bothered me a little bit. Do you think it is because Disney didn't want to "alienate" mass audiences with anything but clear RP accent?

Karol

John Powell said on his Facebook post:

"In addition to John Williams’ brilliant tune for Han, I got five new themes + many other motifs/riffs joining the Galaxy Far, Far Away in Solo: A Star Wars Story! 1f3ba.png🎺1f60e.png😎1f3ba.png🎺
Now.. guess/discuss"

That should put us at ease, knowing this. Could this be Powell's second magnum opus? Giacchino, you better hear this! Come to the real maestro!

NOW! How dare he teases us like this!