John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

That's true, he could easily just be referring to using Luke's theme, Force theme, the Asteroid Field quote we know about, etc.  I haven't listened to the podcast yet to hear the exact wording.  I'm saving it for my bike ride this afternoon.

Awareness of your surroundings!

I will listen to music without headphones while biking, if it's a long ride.  Never headphones though.

Despite the advice of others, I still wear headphones while running (unless I'm pushing the running stroller, in which case a little music is playing out loud).

90% of my rides are on a converted railroad trail specifically for bikers/walkers.  Also, it's not like I'm wearing noise-cancelling over-ear headphones.  They're Apple earbuds (so they don't go all the way into my ear canal, which I hate) that I keep at a volume where I don't lose awareness.  I ain't stoppin'!

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Awareness of your surroundings!

I will listen to music without headphones while biking, if it's a long ride.  Never headphones though.

Rubbish. I ride bikes since 25 years wearing headphones. The poor devils who had to dodge me, though...

Powell just kinda sick with this talk, he confirmed it though (he edited his original post):

Here’s your final list of brand new material to look for in Solo: A Star Wars Story:
1. Han Theme (by John Williams)
2. Love Theme

3. #Chewbacca Theme
4. Gang Theme
5. #L3 Theme
6. Enfys Nest Theme .
+ there are 2  major theme-like motifs directly following the plot all the way through the movie. (All 7 by yours truly!)
Once the film is out, we can discuss them here! 😎

I should return to my animation work, this is getting confusing. Back to my rogue one playlist

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Rubbish. I ride bikes since 25 years wearing headphones. The poor devils who had to dodge me, though...

Well, part of it too is a modicum of consideration for other cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers.

OK, so on the podcast Powell just meant he integrated some existing JW SW stuff in various cues, not that Williams gave him more than just Han's Theme as brand new music to integrate.  Makes sense.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, part of it too is a modicum of consideration for other cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers.

I also live in a very small town where these concerns just aren't as big.

Yeah, trail riding and small areas, it's less of an issue, but it frustrates me to hear about pub's opinion of "the poor devils who have to dodge me."

If cyclists followed the rules of the road and were predictable - as required by law, at least here - the stigma held against cyclists by drivers would be nonexistent.  Cyclists get killed by cars when drivers don't respect the space of bicycles appropriately or act out in road rage - it happens! And motorists get the guilt of having killed you, even if it's the cyclist's fault for doing something stupid and hoping they'll "dodge."

Han Solo.

I'm reading up on this topic and just want to say this:

1. I keep hearing about JW being unhappy with Rogue One. So was I, but I didn't go and interfere. Why is it so relevant to anyone what JW thinks about Rogue One? He didn't score it! It's not his assignment. He could hae done it, though, but chose not to.

2. Why would anyone want to 'collaborate' with Powell? Powell is extremely capable and talented, why can't they just let him do his thing? Can we please either have Williams scoring these movies, or someone else?

33 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

So, it could very well be that "Adventures of Han" is Williams' demo recording, as polished and refined as his concert arrangements usually are, likely featuring all the thematic ideas he wrote for the film.

True.  If it were just one theme it would be called "Adventure of Han" right?  

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

2. Why would anyone want to 'collaborate' with Powell? Powell is extremely capable and talented, why can't they just let him do his thing? Can we please either have Williams scoring these movies, or someone else?

What's so wrong with a collaboration? Chicken Run was a collaboration, and that thing is fire.

Just now, Fargo said:

What's so wrong with a collaboration? Chicken Run was a collaboration, and that thing is fire.

Chicken Run would have been better as a solo effort IMO.  The Powell sections stand far above the Gregson-Williams ones.  

4 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Chicken Run would have been better as a solo effort IMO.  The Powell sections stand far above the Gregson-Williams ones.  

They both wrote some amazing music for that movie.

52 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, trail riding and small areas, it's less of an issue, but it frustrates me to hear about pub's opinion of "the poor devils who have to dodge me."

What's next, a lecture on safer sex or healthy nutrition?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, it's not like I'm wearing noise-cancelling over-ear headphones.  They're Apple earbuds (so they don't go all the way into my ear canal, which I hate) that I keep at a volume where I don't lose awareness.  I ain't stoppin'!

Yeah, I hate those ear canal earbuds. When will the manufacturers realise they don't fit for a lot of people?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Do you bring a loudspeaker? :)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I hate those ear canal earbuds. When will the manufacturers realise they don't fit for a lot of people?

I just really dislike the muffled feeling, it's also why I don't like over-ear headphones very much.  Listening to music involves ambient noise, it's part of the subconscious experience for me.  When I listen with those kinds of headphones it feels somehow claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

So at home I listen on speakers, and I only use Apple earbuds for being out and about or at work.

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

What's next, a lecture on safer sex or healthy nutrition?

Those things don't impact the public, assuming your partners are consenting, so I'll let you live dangerously without a lecture.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you bring a loudspeaker? :)

I have a waterproof mount on my handlebars for my phone.  At max volume, you'll probably only hear my music if you're within one foot of me on either side.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

OK, so on the podcast Powell just meant he integrated some existing JW SW stuff in various cues, not that Williams gave him more than just Han's Theme as brand new music to integrate.  Makes sense.

So if I have got this right, Powell is talking about using existing JW SW music (like The Asteroid Field in that one clip), not new stuff JW made specifically for Solo? Sounds fine.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

So if I have got this right, Powell is talking about using existing JW SW music (like The Asteroid Field in that one clip), not new stuff JW made specifically for Solo? Sounds fine.

We don't really know for sure at this point.

I believe that Maurizio got it right in his post:

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

That's what I got from Powell's wordings on the podcast:

- Williams, Powell and Ron Howard spotted the film together at Powell's studio at the end of 2017

- The plan was for JW to write just one tune, but he ended up writing "a couple of themes" and tried "a few cues here and there", just as demos for the filmmakers.

- Powell and Williams did go through the themes at JW's house. JW then presented the ideas to the filmmakers on another occasion and everybody was happy with it.

- Williams recorded his demos at Sony in LA with Powell and the filmmakers attending and everybody was happy.

- Powell then used Williams' themes throughout the score.

So, it could very well be that "Adventures of Han" is Williams' demo recording, as polished and refined as his concert arrangements usually are, likely featuring all the thematic ideas he wrote for the film.

And here's a transcript of Powell's comments, btw:

“The thing that people are sort of gonna be interested in is, I think, is that [Williams] wrote tunes for this, and we demoed them at the beginning of the year. We all met together at the end of last year. Ron Howard, John and I came here and we sort of looked through the movie, and we spotted the movie together. I always said that if we are gonna do a movie, can we get Yoda? So, effectively it’s having Yoda in. So I knew he was gonna write a tune… but he wrote a couple of themes that were so wonderful, and instantly kind of unlocked the film for me, that I just took them and, you know… He did some demos, a few cues, here and there… tried them out… Filmmakers, everybody loved it, of course. It was working brilliantly. So I just took that and run with it. And his music is all over the movie, in lots of different versions that perhaps he would have done, or perhaps he wouldn’t have done.”

9 hours ago, Fal said:

Yeah,

Yeah, he mentioned that during the red carpet as well I believe.

44 minutes ago, Ricard said:

And here's a transcript of Powell's comments, btw:

“The thing that people are sort of gonna be interested in is, I think, is that [Williams] wrote tunes for this, and we demoed them at the beginning of the year. We all met together at the end of last year. Ron Howard, John and I came here and we sort of looked through the movie, and we spotted the movie together. I always said that if we are gonna do a movie, can we get Yoda? So, effectively it’s having Yoda in. So I knew he was gonna write a tune… but he wrote a couple of themes that were so wonderful, and instantly kind of unlocked the film for me, that I just took them and, you know… He did some demos, a few cues, here and there… tried them out… Filmmakers, everybody loved it, of course. It was working brilliantly. So I just took that and run with it. And his music is all over the movie, in lots of different versions that perhaps he would have done, or perhaps he wouldn’t have done.”

Well, Williams doesn't just hit upon a theme. He usually goes through several melodies with the director (and, in this case, with Powell), so that's probably where the plural came from. I do believe they probably hit upon one of these and that became the actual Han Solo theme which is featured in the film.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, Williams doesn't just hit upon a theme. He usually goes through several melodies with the director (and, in this case, with Powell), so that's probably where the plural came from. I do believe they probably hit upon one of these and that became the actual Han Solo theme which is featured in the film.

Ah, then yeah, it could be different versions and they decided on one, or that there are a few themes, can be either. We'll have to wait and see. Either way, I really hope this is a killer score!

He did some demos, a few cues, here and there… tried them out… 

I wonder if he's referring to cues that are part of the theme(s?) or actual film cues (i.e actual sections of underscore).  

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder if he's referring to cues that are part of the theme(s?) or actual film cues (i.e actual sections of underscore).  

How long do we have to wait for this?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Those things don't impact the public, assuming your partners are consenting, so I'll let you live dangerously without a lecture.

Oh, it's not about me, i think you have a pound of worthwile tips for a better daily conduct for everyone here!