John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Actually that train hesit bit

is a combination of

Hancock, especially The percussion

and Independence Day, for the melody and such

Actually, if you hear that full Id4 track, you can get the feel that somehow the Train Heist track was temp tracked by it

2 hours ago, hornist said:

Give me episode IX, then I'm done with film music.

Oh I am sure Johnny will be penning for Spielberg before then.

You are rather relentless these days Kasey. I detect a hint of Powell-fan in your posts.

Think of how lucky we Williams fans are. Star Wars every other year! We are on a constant JW high!

28 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Oh I am sure Johnny will be penning for Spielberg before then.

The only Williams score I don't care that much is Indy4. And I just saw the Post, oh those ugly overacted spielberg moments. I'm also done with steven🙄

So ep. IX(unless there'll be positive surprises like DB😍)

37 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Spielberg's decided Powell will score Indy 5. :)

9 minutes ago, hornist said:

The only Williams score I don't care that much is Indy4

Lies! all lies!

There is no Indy 5! There is no Indy 4!

There is only a film that tries to look like an Indiana Jones film, and sadly another one on the way...

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There is only a film that tries to look like an Indiana Jones film

If there's one thing Skull does nothing like the originals, it's exactly the looks...

So I suppose The Imperial March is now not only a theme but an actual piece within the SW universe? What do we think about that?

Karol

Spoiler

Yeah as a source in major mode (if I remember correctly) in an Imperial recruitment propaganda video.

Karol

Sounds awful.

I actually really like it when themes crossover to the diegesis, but only when the score itself is of the world of the film: Braveheart, Middle Earth, etc...

Williams' music is about the world of the film, not so much of it. The diegetic music of Star Wars has been, for the most part, apropriately jazzy, so orchestral music feels kind of inappropriate in the diegesis.

Shore's music is of the world of the film. I always said that it sounds like an opera composed in the reunited kingdom sometime during the Forth Age.

And the diegetic music, even when it doesn't stem from Shore's pen, is at least similarly folksy and instrumental/vocal. Same with James Horner's Braveheart - there's diegetic music not by Horner, but its a similar instrumental palette, so when Horner's score crosses into the diegesis, it doesn't feel outlandish.

Star Wars - not so much. I can't really imagine a male chorus in the Emperor's throne-room. And the diegetic music, even where its by Williams, is mostly very jazzy rather than orchestral.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Shore's music is of the world of the film. I always said that it sounds like an opera composed in the reunited kingdom sometime during the Forth Age.

I would say it is both about and of the film not one or the other. Perhaps because it has one foot firmly in the literary realm and one in the cinematic one.

And I have to say that the Solo score and the JW penned theme are pretty infectious. I have been humming the Solo theme every once in a while for a few days now.:) 

Chewie's Theme and its variations throughout the score are scrumptious, it's just a brilliant theme. This score has been one of my favourites that I constantly listen to since TLJ and The Shape of Water.

I've listened to the themes individually several times, but when I listen to the score I can't recognize them except Han's main theme.  This is the same problem I had with Rogue One.  To me at least, the themes are pretty forgettable.  

To be fair though it's been less than a week.  A month from now I may finally have them memorized.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I would say it is both about and of the film not one or the other. Perhaps because it has one foot firmly in the literary realm and one in the cinematic one.

Sure. A score is never just one or the other. It’s a sliding scale. But Williams’ Star Wars scores are very much in the “about the world” side of the spectrum.

That’s why hearing the Imperial March in the diegesis sounds to me like a bad idea.

A few thoughts on my first listen - this is very action heavy on both ends, with only a nice slow-down in the middle (like the movie).  Makes it hard to "start" getting into the album until the Chicken in a Pot sequence.  The stuff before it is good, just a full-on barrage.  The Lando's Closet cue is wonderful.  I like the choir for the marauders.  Once the Lando/L3 material starts making it in, the score starts to feel a lot more "fun."  All in all, it's pretty good.  I enjoy the least Williamsy stuff most.