crocodile

John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

I tried to rip some of my favourite unreleased cues, its very hard, made worse by the fact that Solo's score is the worst of the SWbunch in term of its mixing.

The result is still quite bad tbh, but it makes you eager for the FYC album

Well here you go:

Damn, I thought the end credits suite was supposed to be a mostly original composition, but it's just editorially created ala Mischief Managed. Barely 20 seconds worth of score that isn't already on the OST (albeit a really nice rendition of JW's Han A Theme, which I presume is an alternate for Flying With Chewie or another cue in the film... haven't watched it yet). There's an alternate of Lando's Closet as well.

But yeah, seems the traditional End Credits fanfare is the last recorded cue of the score, chronologically -- hence the OST ending with Dice & Roll, because it makes no sense to include the End Credits fanfare by itself.

So I guess Giacchino deserves some credit for going the extra mile with concert suites on Rogue One, which comprised that film's end credits. I just greedily wish Powell had done these with his themes because they're superb. He absolutely nailed writing in the SW vein (while maintaining his own unique voice) and the orchestra did a marvelous job performing the score... as did Murphy recording it!

That didn't occur to me! Maybe there were legal issues including an LA recorded piece in the film mix, which was otherwise a London recorded score? Modern union regulations and all that legal crap. Rules are probably different for soundtrack releases. Maybe LA musicians get paid different rates depending on whether a piece they're recording is destined for use in a feature film or simply included on a CD release?

That said, it clearly wasn't an issue for the reverse situation with TFA's LA recorded score, using that segment of Burning Homestead performed by the LSO. 😵

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-composer-john-powell

Just found a neat article about John Powell's approach to scoring Solo.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, Falafel said: