BloodBoal

I think when addressing to new members here, we should be more polite, since the new members don't know each one's "internet character" here.

I myself, was registered in a forum a couple of years ago, and some people were all over me and very impolite for a thread I started, and I left.

(for the record, the thread was about "top 10 favourite films", and I had included E.T., Jurassic park, Amadeus, Empire strikes back, Terminator 2, Fantasia, Titanic etc., and apparently a high and almighty member -who was "talking for the rest of the community (what?)" told me "i'm sorry but noone cares for these films". He was one of those elitists with bad behaviour, thinking that because his favourite film is 2001, he's a very cultivated person and has the right to diss on other people's tastes. Apparently he also lacked the IQ to understand that "favourite films ever" is different than "best films ever").

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I think when addressing to new members here, we should be more polite, since the new members don't know each one's "internet character" here.

For most people this is an unneeded instruction, but I've noticed basic social skills don't come naturally to some posters at JWFan.

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, it's a bit hard to be both, since they are on opposite sides.

Your dick is in your upper body? Or do you mean your asshole? I don't know which is worse. Maybe a new poll is needed. 

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, it's a bit hard to be both, since they are on opposite sides.

So close and yet so far...

Karol

Being nice to newbies is already done in the introductory threads. If one comes here with "this thread is shit", I say let them have the full wrath of Williams. I visited this forum on and off for 3 months before I adjusted to the humor and atmosphere, my first response wasn't "you guys r dicks kys", I clicked the freaking "x" on the tab.

People who post here for the first time and have not lurked around or read the messageboards before might be in for some very inside humour that will probably feel very crude and harsh to them as they do not "speak the lingo" so to speak and can't separate the humour from the serious posts.

Also I don't think it is a very nice way to welcome somebody new by calling them names or putting them down, which inevitably will either result in an angry incensed backlash or the person being very timid to post here in the future. And on the other hand if your first post here is to criticise the place might not be the best way to start either.

Here's a copy-paste of the post I wrote on FSM about JWfan forum.

@Koray Savas, can you answer me the same words you used on FSM please? It will illustrate one of the problem of this forum.

I agree, that forum could look very strange for an outsider and it's not really easy to "connect" with some of its users. There's many great sick people in it, some users use two avatars... like if they where Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide and others just play a character. 

That's very strange sometimes.

But there are also great experts of John Williams. I can't say I'm one one them, but with my discography, let's say, I have become a little expert ;-)

Come talk to me within the "Discography" dedicated threads... I don't allow too much crap there. ;-)

Nothing wrong with this forum at all. Nowhere else I can talk freely about tits, erectile dysfunction, making America great again, Godzilla, ASMR, lenses, letterbox bars, Woody Allen and The Bold and the Beautiful.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Over at FSM they have grownups that dwell with 'My Little Pony' but we are the nerds?!  :eh:

Do they have a photography thread? Or one about ASMR?

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

Nothing wrong with this forum at all. Nowhere else I can talk freely about tits, erectile dysfunction, making America great again, Godzilla, ASMR, lenses, letterbox bars, Woody Allen and The Bold and the Beautiful.

Facebook?

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

This.

There are no "douchebags" here (except one or two that I'd rather not name), but I can perfectly well understand the sentiment from a newbie. Being a part of JWFAN requires a very discerning eye, a good scroller function on your mouse and high tolerance for tasteless jokes and 'nerdy' jibes. If you have that, you should be mostly fine.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

This.

There are no "douchebags" here (except one or two that I'd rather not name), but I can perfectly well understand the sentiment from a newbie. Being a part of JWFAN requires a very discerning eye, a good scroller function on your mouse and high tolerance for tasteless jokes and 'nerdy' jibes. If you have that, you should be mostly fine.

It must be very hard for you to post here? I admire your steel-eyed determination to keep going.

True grit!

Not really. As I have all the aforementioned properties, I find it mostly tolerable. :)

But for a newbie, it no doubt requires time and extended exposure.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

But for a newbie, it no doubt requires time and extended exposure.

I don't quite see how that's a problem except if that newbie wants to be an asshole, in which case it's their fault.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't quite see how that's a problem except if that newbie wants to be an asshole, in which case it's their fault.

It is a problem that it requires time and exposure, wouldn't you agree? Ideally, one should feel right at home in a forum relatively immediately. A newbie should enter a new forum somewhat humbly, of course, but I think the 'hosts' have just as much responsibilty to make him or her feel at ease. Perhaps think once or twice before posting a harsh joke that is only understood by the established membership. It's basic social conduct.

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

There are no "douchebags" here (except one or two that I'd rather not name), 

Let me help the others with that: you're one of them.

I don't care, I actively cultivate my caricature here, it makes it more entertaining. But I don't think it's cool to slag everyone off, especially on some other site, and then stick around and converse with those same people anyway. All while playing some pained victim who is practically forced to participate. That's the biggest douchery I've seen on here all week.

The first time I was here I couldn't handle the humour here, but I was very kindly treated by Incanus, when I used the wrong thread. And that's the only important thing, not to be too rude with new members. The humour itself, once you got used to it, can be very clever and tasteless jokes are an exception.

But that new guy on the other thread was way harsher than Stefancos, so I just don't care and:lurk:.

As a semi-regular who posts on and off, I like this place...I think it's one of the more civil, informed boards like this on the internet, and I like, and respect the knowledge, of, most of the people here. It's well moderated (i.e. lightly moderated), which is good because heavy handed moderation doesn't seem to be necessary. So well done Jay.

All that said, yeah, this place can be a little clickish (though most boards like this are to one extent or another), I can see where it might be intimidating to some less sturdy, or thin skinned newcomers.  And good number of you lot have been around long enough that there are so many in-jokes to in-jokes that new people are frankly just going to feel like they're being left out. I've lurked on an off here for years, and the humour here more or less jibes with my own SOH, so I pretty much get most of what's going on, but I'm not sure how much growth potential there is around here without new blood feeling more welcome.

But for the most part, this place is alright in my book, and one of my favourite little corners of the internet. But to newbies I'd say yeah, watch yourself...this place can be a little rough.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to add the final nail in the coffin, but as it is a place that survive only by its members donations... it's maybe the time to think of the way some users act here, particularly with the new members. Just saying.