The Ark of the Covenant vs. The Holy Grail

Holko

You must choose wisely!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme is better?

• Ark of the Covenant
    • Holy Grail

The Duel of the MacGuffins, or Williams scoring the god of the Old vs. the New Testament. (don't know how prone we are to religious flamewars, so I'll just stick to this)

The Ark theme is very enjoyable with many great renditions. I consider it the villain theme of Raiders. To me, it communicates "You're meddling in things you should not be meddling in. If you so much as blink wrongly I will smash you like an ant." Uncovering the Ark is not a triumphant moment, it is quite dark and foreboding, like Indy and Sallah just released an ancient evil. The only semi-nice version is the finale of Miracle of the Ark, when the nazis are dead, and Indy and Marion finally submit to the rules, so the Ark benignly does not strike them down.

The Holy Grail is the penultimate goal of any adventurer, the perfect career peak for Henry Jones and Jr., and I think Williams communicates this perfectly. The theme is very reverent and distant at first, not even played too many times, but becomes triumphant, warm and embracing once Indy makes the wise choice, then heals his father, and the final, full rendition as they leave the temple is a combination of these two. I personally prefer it over the Ark.

Any other thoughts?

Nice topic. The Ark theme is a favourite of mine. It appears to be in two thematic statements. The Ark Itself being the primary 'A' motif  and the other 'B theme' used for 'The Medallion'. Both were beautiful meld in The Trek and the climatic  'Miracle of the Ark'  To me it seems perfect as Williams was able to capture the mysticism of the ancient world and its foreboding mystery and power. There is definitely an unnerving feel to it as you mentioned about the warning of its power not to be be meddled with. 

The Grail Theme is also very nice and its warm and friendly.Its more like a quest theme and sort of avuncular.

This is very hard to answer. I was almost torn apart, before I decided for "The Holy Grail". I like the biblic sound, though its best statement is not on the soundtrack which is preceded by tubular bells.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is very hard to answer. I was almost torn apart, before I decided for "The Holy Grail". I like the biblic sound, though its best statement is not on the soundtrack which is preceded by tubular bells.

Is that what those things are? Never understood the significance of that creative decision (weren't they dialled out in the film anyway?)

I have to go with the Grail theme. Not only is it a great and very fitting theme, but it's probably one of my favorite Williams themes in general. I like how some of the renditions sound borderline medieval at times, and almost feels like it could have doubled as a theme for King Arthur and his knights had Williams ever scored such a film, though I can't quite express why.

I like how the theme is primarily given modest and humble renditions that hint at something more grandiose (and indeed there are a few grander statements later on), almost to play up expectations to an extravagant grail reveal in the final act, while still also befitting the cup's true meager form. 

For me, the Ark theme is synonymous with the Superman March and Star Wars as being inspirational musical soundtrack which between them left indelible imprints on my childhood. I think the full Ark theme is an incredibly evocative piece of orchestral music, I've always loved it.

It's Old Testament versus New Testament for me.

I think the full Ark theme is an incredibly evocative piece of orchestral music, I've always loved it.

You mean with The Medallion theme as it's "bridge"? Because that's awesome.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It's Old Testament versus New Testament for me.

Pretty much this :) Both are perfect, but I'm a New Testament kind of guy

9 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I vote for The Cross of Coronado.

Ba ba ba Baaaaaaaah     ba ba Ba ba ba Baaah Baaaaaah

You mean Baaa baaa baaa baaa baaa ba-babababaaaaa?

I think you may have baa'd the Panama Guy theme.

20 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I vote for The Cross of Coronado.

Ba ba ba Baaaaaaaah     ba ba Ba ba ba Baaah Baaaaaah

That one makes me feel like a kid again!

Between these two I prefer the Grail theme.

I really like how that whole 14-minute opening piece is almost a 100% self-contained adventure cue. (Except the Raiders March and the Holy Grail foreshadowing, of course.)

I feel like people are just making up themes and attaching crazy names to them. What next, the Purple Pants theme?

Ftr I thought this was the "Cross" theme:

But then what is 1:18? That's lovely, too.

1 minute ago, Loert said:

I feel like people are just making up themes and attaching crazy names to them. What next, the Purple Pants theme?

Ftr I thought this was the "Cross" theme:

But then what is 1:18? That's lovely, too.

You linked the Cross of Coronado correctly, 1:18 is just a random fanfare I guess. We call the Panama Hat motif Panama Hat because it plays every time the mini-villain "Panama Hat Guy" and his Panama Hat are onscreen.