Why do we all hate everything now?

Dixon Hill

It's mostly forgettable.  Give me a brilliant story constrained to a couple of hours any day.  Of course some shows can be great on an episodic level, but most requiring "binging" and acting like episodes aren't really a thing.  Just a 10 hour movie or whatever.  It's terrible.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the "Golden Age" of TV is one of the most overhyped fallacies of modern pop culture.

Really? Well, it's been my salvation so I don't know what you are talking about. Of course, if you are perfectly happy with the childish content that cinema is offering these days then I probably understand why you would think that. 

There's that much greatness out there and available to be consumed at any time that I've had to basically accept the fact that I can't possibly watch it all and let most of it pass me by. But I wish I could watch it all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't good shows out there.  And probably of higher quality than in the past, but there's a lot of shows that are pretty mediocre but get elevated beyond their value.  Netflix is one of the worst offenders.  Crap shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Breaking news!  Turns out there are in fact films in existence that aren't the major Hollywood tentpoles aimed at children!  I'm sure you're very excited.

I can only find one and that is Dunkirk (and even then I'm pretty sure a 10 year old wouldn't hate watching it). 

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Crap shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

Maybe those shows are not for you (or me) but they aren't considered crap shows at all. Just because you don't like every single one of them doesn't mean a renaissance hasn't took place. Most of them do lack that Tom Hanks* feeling so maybe that's the problem?

*Most Golden Age TV shows aren't about angels, good-doers or heroes.

54 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What Disco Stu wants is a Bridge Of Spies TV show!

Sure!  I'll watch Mark Rylance do anything.  He was fantastic in Wolf Hall, one of the best TV shows of recent years!

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Love how, by the second page of this thread, everybody is already shitting on everything!

Do you really love it? Or by "love" do you mean "hate"? And if you mean hate, aren't you contributing to the hate?

21 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Why do we hate everything now?

Because our hate has made us powerful.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't you mean Stranger Things? ;)

No, "Stranger Days" is a new Amazon algorithm driven show that combines 1995's cyber-noir thriller "Strange Days" with the 80's nostalgia of "Stranger Things." Why homage one decade and genre when you can do two and double your audience?

I await you review.

29 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Do you really love it? Or by "love" do you mean "hate"? And if you mean hate, aren't you contributing to the hate?

Love it, it struck me as funny!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't good shows out there.  And probably of higher quality than in the past, but there's a lot of shows that are pretty mediocre but get elevated beyond their value.  

I mean, I don't think this is out of the ordinary in any way. There's always been shite on the box which people consume en masse, but there's never been a time where it has been offset by such a large quantity of optional worthwhile original productions, made on both sides of the pond (and some down under). Television will always have its dreck, regardless of its viewing model, but it's simply untrue to make out like TV isn't in a really good state right now. 

On 2.8.2017 at 5:58 PM, Will said:

Great idea for a thread. This is something I've been pondering as well. I'm probably one of the more positive members here (see my exclamation point-filled reactions to new Williams news), and sometimes I wonder whether I'm naive or whether other people are too cynical. 

I think it's latter.

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Yeah, I fucking hate this thread. 

I love being back here! I've missed the back and forth and snarkiness! 

Because it's more entertaining for most people to be negative, then it is to positive or optimistic. 

I try to be as positive as I can, but hey like everyone I've got my own "less then stellar" opinions so to say. I've been watching a lot of great films though, on the plus side. 

On 8/2/2017 at 3:41 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Are people satisfied by the latest Transformers or Fast and Furious crap?  I don't actually know, do these films perform well?

Bruh, Fate of the Furious had the biggest opening of any movie, ever. 

7 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Those movies are fun, but I don't get the mass appeal. The earlier ones were moderately successful with a niche car enthusiast audience, but the later ones seem to be Star Wars level blockbusters!

Didn't you love them and Vin?

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Because he's so manly! Men want to be like him, women want to be entered by him!

I guess. Interesting evolution of a series about cars where the audience grew significantly with each film.