JW's Worst OST Decisions

crumbs

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

The Home Alone 2 OST is fantastic. It's very differently edited from the C&C - excluding lots and mashing up what's left - but the presentation is so much more satisfying. Very enjoyable!

It really is better! Sure there's less music, but it's a significant case where less is more.

• 1 year later...

Okay, so I'm now halfway through the Home Alone 2 OST (needed airy music) and am absolutely loving it. My mind quickly created a somewhat alternate storyline based on the track titles and mood of every cue and it works so well that I'm considering to write a summary. So it made me think, what if every JW OST is meant to be such a musical journey?

Which leads me to Harry Potter 1. Could anyone think of any sensible reason why we open with the first two tracks of that album and why the coke ad is in the middle of track 3? What could that mean if we forget the movie? Does he want to give us a double introduction to the magical world and then bring us to the Muggle world that temporarily becomes a happy paradise because Harry arrives?  

On 8/4/2017 at 8:27 AM, Thor said:

I can't think of a single JW-produced OST that has frustrated me. Quite the contrary, they've all been masterfully presented. Now the expansions, on the other hand....

Jurassic Park end titles playing twice?

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

undeveloped concert suites, repeats of said concert suites, re-recordings of music he wrote two films prior

Which tracks are you referring to here?

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Williams had never an omission of an important cue that was as painful as "The Hunt" from the original "Planet of the Apes" album. I wonder what version @Thor usually listens to.

Goldsmith later remedied that by writing a better track named The Hunt for another film.

The 3 concert suites are completely unreferenced in any of the film score tracks.

0:00-1:25 of Main Title (The Story Continues) is Main Title from SW.

1:57-2:50 of Finale is End Title from SW.

2:50-4:55 of Finale is an excerpt of Parade of the Ewoks

4:56-6:19 of Finale is an excerpt of Luke and Leia

6:19-8:01 of Finale is an excerpt of End Title from SW.

The last 1:25 of Han Solo Returns is an incomplete excerpt of the Jabba The Hutt concert suite

Sure, the concert suites are new music, but it's just an album filled with a bunch of disconnected ideas and no narrative structure. A weird departure from the first two soundtracks, doubly so when they went to great lengths to develop all their thematic ideas throughout the soundtrack presentation.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hey, Lapti Nek is the shitty pop version, not the actual source music!

Good point. A pop song, even worse!

Also the track Return of the Jedi features bits of TIE Fighter Attack, for example.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The 3 concert suites are completely unreferenced in any of the film score tracks.

As in, "in any of the film score tracks that are on the OST"? Jabba (if you count that) appears in Sail Barge Assault/Return of the Jedi.

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, so I'm now halfway through the Home Alone 2 OST (needed airy music) and am absolutely loving it. My mind quickly created a somewhat alternate storyline based on the track titles and mood of every cue and it works so well that I'm considering to write a summary.

I love the HA2 OST. You should write your summary, I look forward to reading it.

I don’t think JW ever intends us to forget the movie, but I am sure his intention is that any of his soundtracks on album should be able to stand on its own - as its own entity separate from the movie. To achieve this, he takes some liberties with material composed for the movie and rearranges the cues to provide the best possible listening experience to be had, sans optical input.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

0:00-1:25 of Main Title (The Story Continues) is Main Title from SW.

1:57-2:50 of Finale is End Title from SW.

2:50-4:55 of Finale is an excerpt of Parade of the Ewoks

4:56-6:19 of Finale is an excerpt of Luke and Leia

6:19-8:01 of Finale is an excerpt of End Title from SW.

The last 1:25 of Han Solo Returns is an incomplete excerpt of the Jabba The Hutt concert suite

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Also the track Return of the Jedi features bits of TIE Fighter Attack, for example.

As in, "in any of the film score tracks that are on the OST"? Jabba (if you count that) appears in Sail Barge Assault/Return of the Jedi.

Not to mention, portions of "The Last Battle" from the concert arrangement of SW (ANH).

I guess George Lucas' thinking is this:

"I've brought back the Death Star from SW(ANH), might as well bring back some of the music from that movie, too.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You'd had to rip it first! :)

Does HA2 exist on vinyl, btw?

I am sure you can but the OST as mp3s though, or you could just stream it in Spotify. ; )

Vinyl - no, I don’t think so.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Ah yes, forgot that! In that track immediately preceding the end credits on album, despite being the closing cue of Act I. :kaboom:

Enhancing a score to work better on its own is a nice idea and all, but completely unnecessary for most great ones with carefully crafted structure and flow.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, crumbs said:

ROTJ comfortably takes the cake as JW's worst OST.

Arguably we can blame the record label but surely JW had enough clout in 1983 to overrule the decision.

And if not, then he certainly has enough now to have prevented Disney from re-issuing same ridiculous 40+ minute sequence in 2018 when LP time constraints are no longer an issue. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to the other five 70+ minute presentations.

Help us Mike Matessino, you're our only help.

ROTJ and 1941 are two that irritate me.

1941.... the explosions and John Belushi screaming at the end, plus the amount of music left off.....😐

ROTJ.......

GIF image.gif

On 8/13/2019 at 7:11 AM, Nick Parker said:

I really appreciate the novelty of the conversation happening on this page right now. There are tons of compelling arguments that are sure to change the other side's minds, I'm certain. 

To answer the thread title, the one I always felt worst about was how the Jurassic Park album didn't end with the End Credits. After the whiz-bang intensity of the T-Rex Rescue, I thought it would be really nice to have a contrasting tranquility that the solo piano provides. A simple sequencing fix, but I wonder what prompted the decision. 

That one's always been really puzzling to me. The contrast you mentioned is just sublime!

Oh com'on. I rediscovered the fun of listening to "real" old original albums, you know, those who are under 45 minutes.

CD scrapped everything!

On 8/14/2017 at 1:14 AM, MrScratch said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark OST works better to me than the expansions that we've gotten. When I listen to Raiders I listen to a very OST-like program with additional tracks.

The only thing I like about Raiders OST is the sound quality (with the proper pitch correction, of course). BTW, the ONLY time I prefered a John Neal remix over the original Eric Tomlinson mix. The microedit in "Basket Game" and the edits of "Desert Chase" are annoying and pointless. And what about "Well of the Souls" suddenly going back to "In The Idol's Temple" and them going back again to "Well" in a god-awful fade? Yeck! And "Marion's Theme" in another god-awful fade to "To Cairo". Probably would've worked better if they've switched places. The track could open with "To Cairo" and close with "Marion's Theme".

On 8/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I have a feeling that @Thor does!

So do I! 

29 minutes ago, phbart said:

The only thing I like about Raiders OST is the sound quality (with the proper pitch correction, of course). BTW, the ONLY time I prefered a John Neal remix over the original Eric Tomlinson mix. The microedit in "Basket Game" and the edits of "Desert Chase" are annoying and pointless. And what about "Well of the Souls" suddenly going back to "In The Idol's Temple" and them going back again to "Well" in a god-awful fade? Yeck! And "Marion's Theme" in another god-awful fade to "To Cairo". Probably would've worked better if they've switched places. The track could open with "To Cairo" and close with "Marion's Theme".

I remember that I preferred the sound quality of the Silva Screen release that was released in 1995.