JW's Worst OST Decisions

crumbs

The Silva Screen (DCC in the USA) release has the Eric Tomlinson original mix, while the OST has the John Neal remix. They both sound excellent, but the Neal remix is better (makes me wonder why he didn't do same with SW and ESB). "Flight from Peru" and "Map Room: Dawn" are the perfect examples why I prefer the OST remix over Tomlinson's. Again, with the proper pitch correction on the OST.

Sticking in the "Adventures of Han" track onto Solo's OST, which could have been taken out in favor of a cue from the actual score. Way to rain on Powell's parade, man!

Honestly, as much as I appreciated the zaniness of the track, I really could've done without Chicken in the Pot on the Solo OST. For one, there are so many wonderful cues in the film that'll probably never get released that could've taken the spot, and two, it's not even the film version- that one features a much deeper second voice! 

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Sticking in the "Adventures of Han" track onto Solo's OST, which could have been taken out in favor of a cue from the actual score. Way to rain on Powell's parade, man!

What bothers me about that track is how completely different it sounds. I mean, was it so hard to record this piece with the musicians/studio Powell used?

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What bothers me about that track is how completely different it sounds. I mean, was it so hard to record this piece with the musicians/studio Powell used?

Evidently, if Williams wanted to record it himself. I wish the soundtrack had sonic consistency though, the first track does stand out quite a bit (and the Powell stuff sounds much better to my ears).

I guess someone else has also said this (a lot of comments in the thread) but I always hated when he includes a reprise of the main theme. For example: Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise), Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise), the End Credits form Jurassic Park, etc I always felt he missed including extra music.

Also, I didn't like the throne room extension in Revenge of the Sith end credits soundtrack. I wouldn't mind that concert arrangement as a separate track, but in the end credits I felt it broke the flow.

1 minute ago, DrTenma said:

Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise)

Hey, that one's a different arrangement! The others are copypaste, maybe edited.

19 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise)

The track titling may lead to you think it's a copy, but it's absolutely not;  The OST track called "Theme From Schindler's List" is really the film cue 20M3 Placing The Stones, the cue for the finale of the movie just before the end credits.  The OST track called "Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise)" is 20M4 Piano Overlay and 20M4 Extension, two pieces he wrote for the end credits.

Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise), the End Credits form Jurassic Park

Now those are true identical copies to material already on the album earlier.  Minority Report does this as well, and Saving Private Ryan does so in another spot, the entire middle of "High School Teacher" is a reprise of "Omaha Beach"

Hey @Jay, do you know if there was ever any interest in including the entirety of 20M4 Piano Overlay in the LLL? The film version truncates the ending as heard in the sessions.

Not a huge deal, just a curiosity. The transition into the full orchestral rendition of the theme works perfectly, of course.

Mike and I went over everything recorded that wasn't on the OST (that we knew about) and he decided what to present to JW for potential inclusion or not

Fair enough. Even if that section was presented to Williams, I could understand him pulling rank. There's some weird distortion/reverb with one of the notes on that piano in the omitted material.

Can I ask if you guys found anything else noteworthy in the sessions (other than the non-Williams source music) that ultimately wasn't included?

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike and I went over everything recorded that wasn't on the OST (that we knew about) and he decided what to present to JW for potential inclusion or not

Was there much that was left out?

I mean the OST was already "complete" in one sense of the word, as it contained some version of every cue written for the score.  Other that source pieces, the only thing not on the OST is really different versions of the same cues, or in the case of the two cues in the Schindler's Workforce track longer versions too.  

11 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Sometimes the chronological film score just doesn't work well as a holistic listening experience.

Frequently. There's a lot of boring underscore to skip to get to the good stuff.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:38 AM, Thor said:

…the Arista STAR WARSes are superior to the OSTs…

So it does happen. But only once in a blue moon.

Thor, just curious, do you listen to the material on the fourth disc of the Arista release?

Talking about Star Wars... is the pitch on RoTJ 2018 Disney correct? It seems a little faster than what's on the correspondent tracks of Arista release.

16 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Jay, what about Star Wars? Your spreadsheet doesn’t say whether “01B” is tracked from 12M2X.

Didn't think anybody would wonder about that.  The second half of track 1 is the identical end credits piece that ends the album

On 8/29/2019 at 4:22 PM, Holko said:

Hey, that one's a different arrangement! The others are copypaste, maybe edited.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Jay said:

The track titling may lead to you think it's a copy, but it's absolutely not;  The OST track called "Theme From Schindler's List" is really the film cue 20M3 Placing The Stones, the cue for the finale of the movie just before the end credits.  The OST track called "Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise)" is 20M4 Piano Overlay and 20M4 Extension, two pieces he wrote for the end credits.

My bad! You guys are absolutely right. I wrote that without recalling carefully which instances of copy-pasted tracks appeared in the scores :S 

Editing the brass fanfare at the end of Mynock Cave on the ESB OST is probably the most perplexing edit I've heard on a Williams album. He did basically the same thing with the Mustafar fanfare on the ROTS OST.

I would've expected Williams to be a huge supporter of highlighting these great little musical moments, especially for the brass section, but he chooses to delete them. What gives? 

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Editing the brass fanfare at the end of Mynock Cave on the ESB OST is probably the most perplexing edit I've heard on a Williams album. He did basically the same thing with the Mustafar fanfare on the ROTS OST.

I would've expected Williams to be a huge supporter of highlighting these great little musical moments, especially for the brass section, but he chooses to delete them. What gives? 

Didn't the album version retain the film edit?

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I would've expected Williams to be a huge supporter of highlighting these great little musical moments, especially for the brass section, but he chooses to delete them. What gives

I have the impression that what JW is after with his OST presentations, is coherence. Something that can stand on its own without necessarily being close to how it's in the film.