AOTC & CMIYC

Henry Sítrónu

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

In general, when Williams (and everyone else) composes scores in close proximity to one another, there are various overlaps. I would not call in bizarre. 

Indeed. I would call it lazy.

Yes I noticed this similarity probably back in 2002 when listening to these two scores. Must have been the effect of writing 4 scores that year. Some material bled from one project to the next, especially considering the suspense scoring Williams did for all of those scores. 

I also noticed the similarity and I suspect it's completely intentional: that passage in CMIYC plays during the opening credits when "Music by John Williams" appears on the screen. It may be a sort of musical nod to himself (his recent self at that time).

Funny, because in the case of AOTC, I find that passage a little too melodramatic, but of course it's supposed to be.  But the CMIYC passage is a favorite of mine, with jucier harmony, and it's orchestrated in such a groovy, swanky fashion.  

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Funny, because in the case of AOTC, I find that passage a little too melodramatic, but of course it's supposed to be.  But the CMIYC passage is a favorite of mine, with jucier harmony, and it's orchestrated in such a groovy, swanky fashion.  

This.

9 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Love them both for these reasons.