35 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Minority Report
    • War of the Worlds
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Minority Report
    • War of the Worlds

6 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I hate all narration and sound effects on soundtracks... War of the Worlds, Earthquake, Angela's Ashes, The Reivers Suite, Heidi... it all just gets in the way of the music and adds nothing. It's not a radio drama or an audio book. Let the music tell the story on it's own outside of the film.

The one exception is 1941, that totally works. 

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yes. If I want the narration, I'll watch the freaking movie! :D

But... but... itz teh essential!

Man, John Williams was on fire here! Certainly one of the best scored action sequences. 

I especially love the frantic staccato-like hammering music when the "robots" start attacking Anderton (from 2:20 onward)...

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The bit that starts at 2:21 of the video you linked is my favorite part.

That's exactly what I said too! :lol:

Yes, so original and inspired, I thought, when I first heard it. I keep listening to that part over and over again.

But I love the whole track.

Another favorite moment is when the music suddenly starts when Anderton runs into Witwer again (0:00) and that musical flourish JW does when Anderson is hit by the car door (0:04).... Just great!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I swear I didn't notice that the first time I read it, did you edit it in?  

No, I didn't, I wrote it some time ago.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Either way, great minds and all that.

Indeed! :lol:

I much prefer Minority Report in every way. War of the Worlds is one of my least favorite Speilberg's by far. I don't downright hate it but I certainly don't love it. As for Williams score....I like them both about equal but in 2005  War of the Worlds was my least favorite John Williams score that year. I preferred Memoirs of a Geisha that year. 

3 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

War of the Worlds was my least favorite John Williams score that year. I preferred Memoirs of a Geisha that year. 

So you liked WotW less than Munich? 

Not that Munich was bad, but....

The big problem with WotW is it tries so hard to be the anti-ID4, it ends up being a chore to watch.

Roland Emmerich made the definitive alien invasion film in 1996, so Spielberg and Koepp felt they needed to radically steer their own film away from all the conventions of the 1953 and 1996 films at the expense of scale and excitement. So we end up with a quasi-horror film about a family of nobodies and annoying kids hiding in basements about three quarters of the story.

Fuck even Emmerich couldn't get it right on his second go when he was essentially trying to remake his own movie last year. What a clusterfuck up that was!

There are individual scenes in WotW that are great to look at. They pretty much all involve the tripods. But I couldn't bring myself to care about anyone in the film. Especially Tom Cruise's son. I agree that it is the anti-ID4 in many ways.