The Eiger Sanction. I need your advice!

Josh500

The Eiger Sanction   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own this score on CD?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Should I get this CD for 98 Euros?

• Yes.
    • No.

The trailer music was composed by Williams, and was even put on the OST.  This thread might be of interest:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20897-score-the-eiger-sanction-complete-score-analysis/

On 08/08/2017 at 4:44 AM, Josh500 said:

I wonder how many of us have actually seen the movie?

I've seen it, a few times, and I've owned the OST, in one form, or another, since 1979.

In fact, in November, 1975, I was asked by my mum what I wanted for Christmas. I replied "JAWS, or THE EIGER SANCTION, please"... I got the former :lol:

I saved up my pennies, and got the latter, five years later, along with a (then) astronomically-priced boot, of IMAGES.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MrScratch said:

Well, have you come to a decision?

No, I still haven't. I haven't been in that store for a week now, I'm not even sure if it's still available. 

I'm gonna drop by again soon, then I'm gonna decide on the spur of the moment....

The Eiger Sanction... I must admit, that I'm not arrived to it yet. Maybe I'm waiting for a CD reissue, because I don't own it for now.

I'm so snob, that even if I have a soundtrack in mp3 on my computer, I don't really listen to it, until I buy the CD.

Fucking Judeo-Christian culpability!

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Josh, just buy the ****ing thing, and have done with it.

Yeah, I think I will. 

I feel like this is something that I'd really regret later on if I don't get it now.

And even if an expanded version comes out some day, so what? This is the OS. It's irreplaceable. 

On 21 August 2017 at 7:50 PM, Josh500 said:

Yeah, I think I will. 

I feel like this is something that I'd really regret later on if I don't get it now.

And even if an expanded version comes out some day, so what? This is the OS. It's irreplaceable. 

Wait for a re-issue / expansion. I picked up the SLC SpaceCamp for pocket change after the Intrada came out. It used to sell for silly money before that.

Same story with Witches of Eastwick. And Jane Eyre.

On 08 August 2017 at 5:53 AM, MrScratch said:

I own it on Laserdisc.

Me too! And I still haven't seen the movie. I also picked up a cheap 2nd hand UK Blu-ray recently.

IMG_20170822_204914_edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good show Josh, good show!

How much, if I may ask, did the Eiger Sanction go for? I remember my Amazon UK copy costing about 35€.

10 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Good show Josh, good show!

How much, if I may ask, did the Eiger Sanction go for? I remember my Amazon UK copy costing about 35€.

Didn't you read this thread? 

I paid 100 Euros for it, 35 Euros for Alien, 7 for Gremlins and LA Confidential each.

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Didn't you been read this thread? 

I paid 100 Euros for it, 35 Euros for Alien, 7 for Gremlins and LA Confidential each.

I didn't know if this was the particular item you mentioned earlier. Perhaps you found something cheaper. But by the looks of that price tag I don't think you did. :P

EDIT Yikes! It looks like the cheapest copy at Amazon UK is going for nearly 200£. I was lucky to get it a couple of years ago.

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I didn't know if this was the particular item you mentioned earlier. Perhaps you found something cheaper. But by the looks of that price tag I don't think you did. :P

Well, doesn't matter. I'm a John Williams collector, and like any collector will tell you, sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you overpay. Money is just money, as long as you live, you can always make more.

All in all, I am very happy I own The Eiger Sanction now, and that's all that matters. :)

Well done, dude! I can remember paying  £12 for it, on vinyl, in 1979, and way back then, £12 was a lot of money for an LP.

I Then paid £12 for it, on CD, in 1990, when £12 was not such a lot of money.

Enjoy.

All together, now:

#Da daa, da daa, da da da, da-da-daaa#

:)

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks for buying it Josh - now a reissue is bound to come out!

:lol: Too cruel man! Too cruel!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

:lol: Too cruel man! Too cruel!

Well, if a reissue comes out, I'd be happy about that.

This is the OS album of The Eiger Sanction. Like I said somewhere else, it's irreplaceable, especially if you're a serious (JW) collector. 

Now I really own every single JW album post 1975. :)

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Well done, dude! I can remember paying  £12 for it, on vinyl, in 1979, and way back then, £12 was a lot of money for an LP.

I Then paid £12 for it, on CD, in 1990, when £12 was not such a lot of money.

Enjoy.

All together, now:

#Da daa, da daa, da da da, da-da-daaa#

:)

£12 is nothing! That's even less than a new OS album cost back in 1990, isn't it?

:music: Yup, this is bliss!

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So here's an update. Today, I went to my favourite CD store again, after withdrawing some cash from the bank. :D

I came out with 4 CDs!

1. Gremlins (OS album, used) 

2. LA Confidential (OS album, used)

3. Alien (Expanded Intrada album, new)

4. The Eiger Sanction (OS album, used)

Set me back around 150 Euros total.

But I gotta say, after torturing myself over TES for nearly a month, it's a big relief. I haven't felt this good after a purchase for a long time! Now keeping my fingers crossed that the expanded TES won't be announced next week! 😂 

It's only money!  Congratulations!   This may sound dumb, but I'm excited for you.  I know the feeling of parting with a good amount of cash but walking away with some soundtrack treasures.

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well, doesn't matter. I'm a John Williams collector, and like any collector will tell you, sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you overpay. Money is just money, as long as you live, you can always make more.

All in all, I am very happy I own The Eiger Sanction now, and that's all that matters. :)

Let us know what you think of the whole album after you've given it a good listen.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for buying it Josh - now a reissue is bound to come out!

:devil:

4 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

It's only money!  Congratulations!   This may sound dumb, but I'm excited for you.  I know the feeling of parting with a good amount of cash but walking away with some soundtrack treasures.

Thanks!

But really, what's 100 bucks? My earphones cost around 300 bucks! :lol:

By the way, I'm really excited about ALIEN too. This sure is among my Top Ten JG scores!

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Why Gremlins? I never had the original album, but wasn't that one of Goldsmith's most lacking, and thankfully made obsolete by the expansion?

Yes it is. Only contains 8 tracks or so, and half of them are songs.

Dunno, it was just 7 Euros. And also, I like collecting OS albums. And if I like what I hear, then maybe I'll get the expanded edition. 

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I love those!

The El Watusi piece included?

Just now, Richard said:

That isn't bad. I also like ODE TO BUCKWHEAT.

El Watusi is pretty atrocious waste of disc space. The film had better source music to include.

Out of the non-JW tracks of JFK, I like the Drummer's Salute and the Mozart piece. Anything else, meh.

On the BOTFOJ album, Moon River and (maybe) My Girl.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

The El Watusi piece included?

I didn't see that JFK was mentioned. I was referring only to the BOTFOJ songs. In fact, I can't even recall the songs on JFK.

JFK is an eclectic album, but somehow I've always felt that it comes together in a weird way. I like most of the tracks on there. BOTFOJ is a differen thing altogether, basically two albums after each other on one disc -- a 60s pop compilation, followed by a score album.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

JFK is an eclectic album, but somehow I've always felt that it comes together in a weird way. I like most of the tracks on there. BOTFOJ is a differen thing altogether, basically two albums after each other on one disc -- a 60s pop compilation, followed by a score album.

I find both albums--actually all 3, including NIXON--outstanding.

The songs... Yeah, I never listen to those, but I can understand why Stone wanted to include them. These are period movies, and songs from the era in which the movies take place add a lot to the overall atmosphere. 

I find all 3 among the very best non-Spielberg or Star Wars albums by JW.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent twice as much for the towering inferno. Do I regret it ? Hell no! I love that Cd. If you want it buy it! 

By the way I own the eiger sanction and it is great. I'm  a Williams completist so maybe I'm byist.