Best 12 composers of 21st century (no John Williams??)

filmmusic

46 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

but you and filmmusic - I could be misreading - still seem to want great to be something separate from favorite and not just two different words for the same thing. 

I think I understand what happens here.

i use the word "great" in this thread in regards to the big picture (or as one of the definitions  I found as " remarkably skilled ")  while you use the word "great" in regards to the individual (eg. you), in which case it of course coincides with the word "favourite".

Sometimes I may use "great" too that way:

Me (watching Heartbeeps): OMG! this is great! :lol:

but not here.

23 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Oh it certainly is questionable. This is such a bullshit "Williams is KING!" post. You doubt the mainstream consciousness of The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Titanic, Back To The Future, The Pink Panther, Psycho, etc? Film music doesn't revolve around Williams. 

YES! JOHNNY IS THE KING !!! :cheer:

I say that in the popular context Williams will always be a step ahead of all the other composers. Not that there are not classics like Apollo 11, The Godfather, Braveheart, The Magnificent Seven, Batman, 1492 and so many others. However in the historical context all will be remembered as a reflection of each era and state of the cinematographic art. Some will be remembered for having a varied repertoire, others for having scored important movies, others for having influenced a  cinematography genre and so on...

The only film composer today who seems to really be a step ahead of the rest in a big way is Zimmer.  Different periods, decades, will have different composers who capture the public eye in a huge way.

You may think they're tasteless idiots, but I reckon your average folks today would cite Hans over anyone else.

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Fine by me! I don't believe it either.*

If that was the case, we would all be listening to "what is considered great" music, and we would all be enjoying "what are considered great" films.

" I don't think it's worth it to try objectively measuring art.  "

Fine by me here too. I haven't touched this subject at all, if it is worth it or not.

I was merely saying that if anyone wants to try, this can be done. That's all.

* with one exception:

if he/she studies in depth that particular art, it could help him/her experience it as great.

Score said something important previously.

That he doesn't believe anyone above 18 would enjoy Bieber songs.

Why is that? because adults have generally more maturity than kids.

Again, there is no statistical basis for saying only people 18 and under enjoy Bieber. Of course people of all ages do. You're just talking out of your ass here. 

Whether it's been said in this thread yet or not, I don't care. I'm saying it now. Take note. Williams, Horner, even Goldsmith in his few years in the 21st Century were all better than this list of unknowns.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Again, there is no statistical basis for saying only people 18 and under enjoy Bieber. Of course people of all ages do. You're just talking out of your ass here. 

noesqq11.jpg

Koray loves Bieber. Koray loves Bieber.

Bieber, Bieber ...Bieber, Bieber, Bieber.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Since I'm a highly sensitive person and I don't ever use such language, I would ask you to please don't use it for me.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Since I'm a highly sensitive person and I don't ever use such language, I would ask you to please don't use it for me.

Greeks and Turks just don't get along!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Turks where? They can connect to internet... and express themselves? Really?

What exactly is your mental image of Turkey?  You know that Istanbul at the very least is a modern thriving metropolis, right?

Okay, but he's out of Turkey?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

What exactly is your mental image of Turkey?  You know that Istanbul is a modern thriving metropolis, right?

Remember, I'm a huuuge fan of Aznavour.  Do you know you history... the armenian genocide, by example? ;)

What does knowing about Charles Aznavour have to do with assuming that Turkey doesn't have the internet?

I mean, I know they have issues with blocking sites/censorship.  But I don't think JWFan is in danger, haha.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

What does knowing about Charles Aznavour have to do with assuming that Turkey doesn't have the internet?

I don't assume they don't have internet.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is clearly a misunderstanding, but in my defense it was a weird post.

It's better then not to talk about politics and Dictat, sorry President Erdogan here I think... ;)

This list isn't even worth reading on the toilet.

How can someone be so mind-numblingly stupid?

Even if you ignore everything written by Williams, JNH, Silvestri, Newman, Elfman, Powell, Giacchino, etc, HOWARD SHORE WROTE THE LORD OF THE FUCKING RINGS! But they choose revolutionary master composer Klaus Badelt...

hahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*drops dead from simultaneous laughter and disbelief*

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Greeks and Turks just don't get along!

He is a Turk? Or that was a joke?

6 hours ago, Woj said:

Do mommy and daddy know you're using the internet? 

Only underage people are sensitive?

That's why our world is going from bad to worse.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

HOWARD SHORE WROTE THE LORD OF THE FUCKING RINGS!

Ah, yes, forgot about that too...

On 10/8/2017 at 3:55 AM, Koray Savas said:

http://www.thatericalper.com/2012/06/28/infographic-if-justin-bieber-fans-were-a-country/

Scroll down to the last chart, "demographics". The original sentence in the post might have been hyperbolic, but the trend is clear.

(I actually feel ashamed that I had to search for this :lol: , but I also don't like the use of a certain kind of language when not required).