Bernard Herrmann and... Steven Spielberg?

crocodile

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I thought it was very funny when Spielberg admitted to being a huge fan and Herrmann in his true cantakerous style quipped: Then why do you always use John Williams for your films?" :lol: 

At that moment Williams had only scored The Sugarland Express and Jaws for Spielberg, so I believe the original quote must have been a bit different.

It's a very interesting interview by the way. I'm having a bit of Herrmann phase lately.

Karol - who still can't get over the fact he missed missed that Varese box set some years ago.

17 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I remember Spielberg telling in an interview how he met Herrmann during the recording sessions of the Taxi Driver the day before he passed away.

So...what was Spielberg doing in London, on 23rd December, 1975?

Publicity for JAWS, perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

At that moment Williams had only scored The Sugarland Express and Jaws for Spielberg, so I believe the original quote must have been a bit different.

Well those were his only two major films up to that point so he always had used Johnny. Which is twice more than he had used Herrmann. ;)

But I love how wonderfully Herrmann that quip is. Always the cantankerous old individualist artiste coot we all know and love.

And I almost thought Hlao-roo had come back because of your use of that avatar Jilal. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I thought it was very funny when Spielberg admitted to being a huge fan and Herrmann in his true cantakerous style quipped: "Then why do you always use John Williams for your films?" :lol: 

Yeah, that's a famous story that's been doing the rounds for many years now. I believe Spielberg himself has recounted it on numerous occasions.

Of course, Herrmann had lots of interaction with Williams, so at least Spielberg had an 'indirect' connection that way.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It's a very interesting interview by the way. I'm having a bit of Herrmann phase lately.

Karol - who still can't get over the fact he missed missed that Varese box set some years ago.

Thanks for sharing this Karol! Look forward to watching this when I get back home from work today. :)

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, that's a famous story that's been doing the rounds for many years now. I believe Spielberg himself has recounted it on numerous occasions.

Of course, Herrmann had lots of interaction with Williams, so at least Spielberg had an 'indirect' connection that way.

I really like the Vertigo album arrangement. Couldn't listen to Varese's complete score.

59 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

How nice of Spielberg, because I remember correctly, Herrmann was no longer in demand.

Indeed his career in films was waning probably because he didn't conform to the changing Hollywood movie making climate and realities but he was sort of being rediscovered by the Hollywood Movie Brats like Spielberg, Scorsese and DePalma who adored his music and wanted to hire him. Who knows to what renaissance heights his career might have shot up to if he had lived say 10 years longer.

25 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Who knows to what renaissance heights his career might have shot up to if he had lived say 10 years longer.

Apparently, he would have scored CE3K and nobody today would have heard of John Williams.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

No Karol. No shit.

Seriously, among my top 10 albums.

And judging by Obsession, its close twin, was his penultimate work...having Herrmann on top again would have been soooo good.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently, he would have scored CE3K and nobody today would have heard of John Williams.

Brrr....doesn't even bear thinking.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Seriously, among my top 10 albums.

And judging by Obsession, its close twin, was his penultimate work...having Herrmann on top again would have been soooo good.

Karol

It is a classic re-recording in my book as well, top tier stuff.

Btw this interview is excellent. Really wonderful little reminisces about Benny.

30 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Dude!

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Apparently Spielberg had Herrrmann in mind for Close Encounters.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

So...what was Spielberg doing in London, on 23rd December, 1975?

Publicity for JAWS, perhaps? 

Taxi Driver was recorded in Los Angeles.  Herrmann was staying at the Sheraton Universal when he died in his sleep, he and his wife Norma having flown over from London a few days before Christmas.  The sessions were conducted by Jack Hayes because Herrmann was not well enough to do so.

Well, even if Hermann had done CETK, Williams would have already done SW, securing his legacy.  But to imagine a world w/o Williams CETK suite...I guess it would soften the blow of any North Korea missiles that might find their target. 

• 1 year later...